Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically, a 1995 VLX 600. It's a very pretty bike. Lots of chrome, and a two-tone purplish blue/white color scheme. It only has 7000 original miles, no flaws, and they're asking $3000. (dealership) I'll probably use it as a commuter during the week, and go out for fun on the weekends.

A couple of quick questions:
1) I'm sure I can get the price down a few hundred bucks, since I'm going to buy a helmet, windshield, and probably some gloves. Still, does that seem like a good price, considering the condition?

2) I don't much like to turn a wrench unless I'm forced to. Are these pretty low-maintenance bikes? Seems like it, even though I'd prefer a shaft-drive.

3) I've read several reviews this week - mostly glowing. Is there anything that anyone would care to add?

Thanks in advance, and if I get it there will be pictures to follow.

-Jay-

PS - I'm in Springfield OH, in case anyone wants to go for a back-roads ride one of these days.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The price seems high average.
Make sure you shop around because there are tons of used bikes out there. Having said that, time could be money.
These are Honda's so they are well made but do require some maintenance.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Specifically, a 1995 VLX 600. It's a very pretty bike. Lots of chrome, and a two-tone purplish blue/white color scheme. It only has 7000 original miles, no flaws, and they're asking $3000. (dealership) I'll probably use it as a commuter during the week, and go out for fun on the weekends.

A couple of quick questions:
1) I'm sure I can get the price down a few hundred bucks, since I'm going to buy a helmet, windshield, and probably some gloves. Still, does that seem like a good price, considering the condition?

Kelley Blue Book retail price (that's the dealer price) for that bike, if it's the Deluxe, in excellent condition is $1,895.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/1995/honda/vt600cd-shadow-vlx-deluxe/231403/

1995 Honda

VT600CD Shadow VLX Deluxe

Mileage / Equipment info
Suggested Retail Value

• Excellent $1,895
Guess you know to check Kelley Blue Book from now on. Also ask here about specifics. Good luck. Stay away from that dealer.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Agree with Dernp, high. They often put a rip off price on it so they can reduce it to gouge levels - that is why we call them stealerships. Look at CL for comparative pricing.

You should check the chain for kinkiness on the slack side, chain indicator for wear, tires for cracking and tread, valve ticks when warmed up, scuffs on bar ends/mirrors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Lakota, I actually saw the Blue Book info a few minutes after I posted, so that'll give me plenty of haggling room. Still, considering the like-new condition and the low mileage, the BB figure seems a bit low. I don't pay retail, but if they come down to a reasonable level... We'll see.

Thanks, though.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
I recently sold my 1996 VLX in excellent condition except that one of the side panels was cracked. I sold it for slightly higher than book value. I think I got a fair price and I think the person I sold it to felt it was a fair price.

$3000 seems way too high. However, if you look around for VLX's that are selling your area, you may find that they sell for higher. (I doubt for $3000, though. ;) )

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would have to agree that the price is a little steep. I just bought a 2007 VLX 600 with 1,200 miles on it for $4,000. Shop around, there's better deals out there.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
IMHO, Hondas are about as reliable as a bike can be. And yes, again, IMHO shaft drive makes a bike even a little easier to maintain.

Now,

Let me ask a related question of the Forum: at what age does the availability of parts become an issue re desirability of a bike. I come from a Harley background; I think in terms of 30 years before I check on parts availability. Seems you can almost always find Harley parts. What's it like with Hondas?

Now, about a month ago, I bought a 2003 Shadow (far right, below) in excellent condition, 7,000 miles on it, for $3,700. Blue-Jay, that's just $700 more for a bike (produced 8 years later) than you are considering paying. Only visible damage is a tiny scratch on the seat. Came with windshield and bags and an ugly sissy bar.

I came home last night, did a quick scan of the forum, and saw the price you might be paying for that bike. Sorry, I was blown away. It's typical in the Midwest to pay 10% over KBB if a bike is in great shape; so you should be paying in the neighborhoood of $2200--no more. I hope you don't make a mistake just because you are excited; I get being excited; I just wanted to slow you down. You can find a newer, better bike for less $. That dealer is asking way to much.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I want to thank Lakota for posting the link for blue book. I bought my aero in April this year paid 4800, blue book is about 4300, but it had 735 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
wow 3,000 for a 95 model?///thats kinda high,,i paid 1800 for my 2003 with only 4000miles on it back in march of this yr..like everyone else suggested,look at craigslist and buy from an individual...only way to buy from a dealership is new and or if it comes with a great warranty..in my opinion..anyways,good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are going to pay $3000 you can probably get a much newer bike, I just bought an '03 spirit 750 with 9000 miles for $2900.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts