Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Hiflo oil filters comparable to the other quality filters out there, or should I steer clear of them? Thanks-

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
HiFlo is an average filter. There are better filters out there and worse. Stay clear of Fram. Your best bang for the buck is the WaMart SuperTech.
What is your ride?

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,026 Posts
I use their air filters with no issues. You can get 2 for the price of one Honda filter. I use Warmart Supertech oil filters for $3 ea.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
There absolutly NO value to a Hi Flowing oil filter. High Flow is another way of saying low filtration. Me I wan't the oil as clean as it can be. For an oil filter Filtration MUCH more important than Flow.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
The brand name is Hiflo
I know that that is why I used different spelling in my comment. Are you saying the Hiflo filter is not marketed as HIGH FLOWING????????

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, I don't know. I just found a deal on them, and was looking to stock up on a bunch.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The original owner always used Honda oil filters and I've continued to do the same. Rocky Mountain has them for a good price.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
The brand name is Hiflo
I know that that is why I used different spelling in my comment. Are you saying the Hiflo filter is not marketed as HIGH FLOWING????????
Honestly, I don't know. I just found a deal on them, and was looking to stock up on a bunch.

There is nothing wrong with Hiflo filters. I've used them at various times thru the years. I have never seen them marketed as HIGH FLOWING. I've never seen them marketed at all. They are ubiquitous and offered at many indy motorcycle shops.

There was a time when I would use only big name filters. Those days are gone and I'll use whatever I can get a deal on. I currently have a stock of Super Techs, at $3 each they are hard to beat. I've cut a lot of oil filters apart and I can see no appreciable difference in any of them.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Hiflo filters. I've used them at various times thru the years. I have never seen them marketed as HIGH FLOWING. I've never seen them marketed at all. They are ubiquitous and offered at many indy motorcycle shops.

There was a time when I would use only big name filters. Those days are gone and I'll use whatever I can get a deal on. I currently have a stock of Super Techs, at $3 each they are hard to beat. I've cut a lot of oil filters apart and I can see no appreciable difference in any of them.

What gat says buy whatever filter you want and change the oil at very regular intervals and all will be well. If i was letting the filter oil change go to 8k miles I would be using synthetic and a Honda filter....maybe...... too much adoo about nothing imo......

I used to work with a guy who would not change the oil in his car - or filter, just add as needed - granted he never ran a car more than 95k miles - and I was flabbergasted his vehicles held together that long - but there you go. Not smart but engines are much tougher than you can imagine.

Closer to a shadow motor ;)

Even closer

Or just add some prolong and don't ever worry about oil or filter again :shock:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I use AC Delco, Purolator, HiFlo, Honda, and pretty much whatever. The only brand I refuse to use is Fram. I work at a GM dealer so I get a pretty good deal on the ACDelco filter right now, the last one I used was a Honda that was put on by the dealer when my valves were check. Before that I used a Purolator because they were out of the Ac Delco at Autozone when I needed to change my oil.

Just use a filter and forget about it. Find a brand that you are comfortable with and use it.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I use AC Delco, Purolator, HiFlo, Honda, and pretty much whatever. .........Find a brand that you are comfortable with and use it.

I try to not use the same brand of oil or filters for more than a change interval or two. The logic being, if one particular brand really is worse than another, it won't be in/on my hardware long enough to do any damage. ;)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Instead of searching, I'll ask...what's so bad with Fram again? Used em for years on cars/trucks.....but not good for MC? Just asking, I'll openly listen to advice on this issue......after all that's why I asked.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Instead of searching, I'll ask...what's so bad with Fram again?

Fram got a bad rep some years ago because they were using cardboard endcaps inside their filters and some came apart. I have not seen any first hand accounts of any problem whatsoever with a Fram filter.

I will use them if they go on sale. As a matter of fact my truck has an Fram filter on it as we speak, ah type.....read.....whatever.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ever notice how one of these threads keeps getting longer if someone gets pissy during it? Seems like everyone keeps checking back in to watch the car wreck...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm wondering what makes some folks so unhappy that they need to repeatedly get pissy on a friendly forum in the first place.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If I remember correctly the factory Kawasaki filters were made by Hiflo have used them on all my bike with no issues.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I'm wondering what makes some folks so unhappy that they need to repeatedly get pissy on a friendly forum in the first place.
Idunno, been seeing it a lot more lately. I think it may be the heat getting too those that are not used to it:?
Coop

1 - 20 of 27 Posts