Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my way to work this morning, my high beam indicator lamp went out. I assume after being on for 13k miles is simply burnt out. However, just a quick look tells me it is not that easy to swap out, unless I am missing some trick. Any body replaced one of these lamps? Do I have to take the entire assembly apart to get at the bulb? I hate the idea of taking off my windshield then undoing those small nuts that hold the Speedo bracket off, which I assume must be done.

Has any body else burnt one of these lamps too?

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
Dragoon said:
So on my way to work this morning, my high beam indicator lamp went out. I assume after being on for 13k miles is simply burnt out. However, just a quick look tells me it is not that easy to swap out, unless I am missing some trick. Any body replaced one of these lamps? Do I have to take the entire assembly apart to get at the bulb? I hate the idea of taking off my windshield then undoing those small nuts that hold the Speedo bracket off, which I assume must be done.

Has any body else burnt one of these lamps too?
Hey Dragoon

I haven't had a bulb blow but I have swapped out the speedo - first for a new (to me) unit and then when I fitted my new Cobra bar mount. Although it looks daunting, it is actually quite easy, providing you take your time and take care.

It is a while now since I last twiddled about with the various bits so memory is a bit hazy, but essentially you will take the entire assembly out of the chrome casing. The bulbs are encased in rubber and are simple push fits into the speedo body, so just pull out the old one, fit the new one, push it back in and you have an Uncle called Bob!

Honestly, it is easy. If a moron like me can do it, anyone can!

Collector

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Collector,

I just took a look and my 05 must be somewhat different to yours. If I take the chrome housing off, I get access to the guts of my Speedo, but there is an aluminum housing that seems to bolt to the triple tree that seems to need to come off to give me access to my three indicators (neutral, signal and high beam).

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Dragoon said:
Collector,

I just took a look and my 05 must be somewhat different to yours. If I take the chrome housing off, I get access to the guts of my Speedo, but there is an aluminum housing that seems to bolt to the triple tree that seems to need to come off to give me access to my three indicators (neutral, signal and high beam).
Dude

I have just taken some pix.

Give me a few minutes and I will get then uploaded.

Collector

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
OK, here goes. There follows three pix of the old speedo assembly WITHOUT the chrome shroud (because it is fitted over the new speedo).

Rear picture:

The holes at the top and bottom are where the rubber plugs/bulbs fit. The cream coloured casing is a moulded plastic.

Side:

This just shows how the face bezel (chrome ring) fits around the pastic shell. I could not figure how to get it off and I think it is press-fitted so if you try to remove it then you can't easily replace it again.

Front:

Just to give the complete perspective.

Sorry for the crappy pix, I did it in a hurry. But if yours doesn't look like that then they have changed the design.

Collector

PS: Anyone want to buy a perfectly serviceable speedo, calibrated in KPH?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hang on a second! Isn't the high beam in a small casing fitted below the speedo itself?

Since I fitted my Cobra bar speedo holder, I now recall that it is not in the actual speedo

That's my new fitting.

On the old one it was still easy to get it off and change the bulb.

Collector

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is more like the second one. I love that so please give me the info on where you got it, if I am tearing my speedo apart, I am certainly going to do what you did. Love your bike by the way, probably the coolest ride in the isles. Next time I go back to see my old boarding school in Wellingborough, just outside of Northampton, I will ping you and maybe I can detour and buy you a pint or two, and of course pay at the taxes due :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts