Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the carbs out as well as the little pre-air filter thingy...as seen here...

In the manual is say in order to clean it (the sponge inside), you need to soak it in a HIGH FLASH POINT SOLVENT... I have an idea of what that is but i'm trying to see what the household or auto parts counter equivalent is..... I tried getting some example by searching on google, but can't find too much.

What product should I buy ?

What have you used to get that little sponge thingy cleaned ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From HONDAPARTSWORLD.com...

I finally find my answer...

8. Gently wash the air cleaner and sub air cleaner in clean, non-flammable (high flash point) solvent such as kerosene - not gasoline. After cleaning, gently squeeze out the remaining solvent. Avoid twisting or wringing the air cleaner. This can tear the foam.

So here it is in case someone is interested :D

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Yep, low odor mineral spirits is high flash point solvent.

They only say high flash point solvent so you won't set yourself on fire and sue them. Any decent paint thinner type of solvent will work, provided you know how to use it without setting yourself on fire or burning down the house.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I don't clean it at all.

If you go to Home Depot or similar type store, go to the lawn mower section
and buy one of the foam 'pre-cleaners' that go around an air cleaner
for a lawn mower.

Take a pair of scissors and cut to fit.
You now have a new pre-filter and enough spare material to do the same
several more times.

Cost: $3 per piece.

About 7 or 8 pieces can be made from the pre-filter material.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do not use a low flash point solvent, like paint thinner! It could dissolve the filter. Like you were going to clean the filter real quick and take a ride, but now you have no filter type of thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts