Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I an looking for tips on rust control!
I moved from the bay area in California... 0 humidity... to Okinawa.... God knows how much humidity, all saltwater. The rain causes cars to rust.
so... what are some tips to prevent rust from the humidity?
I am going to be gone for 6 months, and was planning on putting the bike in the storage shed.... reallyu just a outside closet... and storing it with a full tank of gas and the bike cover over her... but I dont think this will work.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Heat up a bucket of cosmoline and use a HD sprayer to hose the entire bike down before leaving, that should do it! :wink:

Isn't that how the military used to store jeeps and artillery and such?

Other wise a good chrome wax cleaner on everything - There is a product called "Nano" that should help protect the chrome and steal. It comes in a container the size and shape of a Mother's Mag cleaner jar. I believe it is more of a surface protectant though.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ditto the wax - maybe even leave it on without buffing it off.

I'm not so sure about the cover though. Most of the time - even the ones that supposedly breath just end up trapping condensation underneath them.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Fortunately, Colorado has real low humidity but I grew up in Pennsylvania so I know what a pain it is to deal with. Back in the day, I did a tour in Southeast Asia for a year and a half so what I did was to fill the tank, like you said and put the bike up on blocks so the tires wouldn't get a flat spot. I also did an oil change to get rid of any moisture and such that might have been in the oil. I also took the plugs out, poured a little oil in each cylinder and then turned it over to get the oil splashed around good. You might want to lay a rag over the plug holes (not in or it will get sucked down in) to keep the oil from spraying all over everything. I also waxed everything that was chrome or painted except the pipes. If I were to do it today, I'd probably use Lemon Pledge on the pipes. That will help to keep the moisture from getting into the chrome. I then covered the bike with a thin cotton sheet. That will keep the dust off but won't trap any moisture on the bike.

sanoke

·
Registered
256 Posts
stabil, oil stabilizer, thick coat of wax on the bike, and your rotors will just rust. I wouldn't recommend waxing your rotors, and the rust will be scrubbed off pretty quickly after you use your brakes the first time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts