Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Do a wet and dry compression test - throttle open.
Take out the plugs and examine them for liquid and try to identify it as oil, coolant, fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Before I did these changes really, though it wasn't "perfect" as the rear idle has always been kinda lumpy and I was having some low-RPM shakes.
Which is what caused me to assume it was valves really.

Can we assume then that you purchased it this way? If so, had the previous owner done any modifications to the fuel/air system in the way of exhaust mods, jet kits, and/or intake mods?

It's been my experience that most troubleshooting methods outlined in the factory service manual for bad running bikes are very efficient and quick to diagnose...... UNLESS.... the owner has decided to make the bike louder and faster through carb/air/fuel modifications.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Can we assume then that you purchased it this way? If so, had the previous owner done any modifications to the fuel/air system in the way of exhaust mods, jet kits, and/or intake mods?

It's been my experience that most troubleshooting methods outlined in the factory service manual for bad running bikes are very efficient and quick to diagnose...... UNLESS.... the owner has decided to make the bike louder and faster through carb/air/fuel modifications.
He originally had what seemed to be a Stage 1 Jet kit, due to the modified pipes.
I'm going to do a Compression test today once O'Reilly's opens up to see if it's Blowby

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Alright, I got around to doing the test. (https://photos.app.goo.gl/431uKrWyUb22zLKV6)

And I'd say that it looks to be almost 200PSI.
Which means it's not my rings or valve seals.
And ontop of that I took out the plugs and while it does look like oil, it smells heavily of fuel. So it's for sure fuel just being dumped into the cylinder for seemingly no reason.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not familiar with your bike, but I believe you have two carburetors so each one would have a choke valve. I would remove both and check to make sure they are free and not sticking, paying particular attention to the problem cyl. carb. The manual should give some specs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not familiar with your bike, but I believe you have two carburetors so each one would have a choke valve. I would remove both and check to make sure they are free and not sticking, paying particular attention to the problem cyl. carb. The manual should give some specs.
I'll look into that tonight!
And mine is the VT750CD

Basically the exact bike that caused Harley to sue Honda over because of the "Sound" of the engine LOL

But yea, i'll check that tonight.
The compression is completely fine (being at 200PSI) so i'm not terribly worried about the cylinder itself. I think it's all carb based, or the intake boots at this point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Alright, after a hefty vacation away to California and some twiddling with the carbs..
The issue I figured out was the float heights.
The shop I brought it to before didn't do em properly.. So I did it proper and now it doesn't smoke up like a stoner on 4/20 lmao. The choke cable wasn't closing all of the way, but only by a SLIGHT bit, and I fixed that easily with some lubrication on the cable.
It gets to about 100 in 4th and this is what the plugs look like after about 150-200 miles (https://photos.app.goo.gl/euCdDhzTXYSMXQMd6).

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
That plug looks fine now. Good to hear you got it dialed in.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts