Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked by a fellow biker and friendly member here to ask a oil rep some more ?s about HM oil. I know everyone loves oil talk like us car guys like the Ci. Talk. So I'm goin make this short and sweet for anyone that wants to listen .

Now doing the job I do I talk to all kinds of people customers and reps for diffrent company's and being I'm an hour drive from the shell penzoil factory in w.v I see reps offten and they don't like to tell the dirty little details. However I have details and a fellow member even tried to call oil company's and found out nothing.

So now I'm off to the story.
I asked a penzoil rep this time due to her coming all the time and a close hush hush partnership.
I asked her what is in the HM oils?

Answer. Well there is a slip additve to make engines last longer . Its a moly base that will fill in all the damage to berrings and rockers from wear to make it run smother. It will also increase oil psi by up to 10%. Witch means you will restore fuel mpg by up to 5%.
Its highly waxy and super slick although is a 5w it feel thiner because of the makeup of oil. Rember HM oil is a syn blend and is not recomanded for transmission or rear ends that might call for a motor oil( now my 2 cents hints a wet clutch bike. A wet clutch is almost the same a a lsd limited slip diff in a car or truck .you want the clutch to grab to make both tires lock up just like a clutch you want the clutch to grab the flywheel and not make it slip ).

Next I asked her just for kicks why do you want to fill in bad berrings and leaking gaskets with oil additves for ? The answer I got might surprise you.

Well if we fill in the leaks in gaskets this will mean less oil on our roads there for safer driving. If we help reduce wear on the motor that means more people will buy oil for older cars instead or a new one where full synthic oils are called for. That means $ for us and you..

Well full synthic cost more why not make everyone use it?
Not as high of a profit due to longer makeing time.

Well but HM oil is a blend right ?
Yes but only 20% or less
So we can charge just a little less .

Well how long is synthic oil good for?
Oil its self is always good it won't go bad. All the additve in the oil is what makes it break down makeing you change it . Synthic is easy 6 to 8k miles now out higher end oils can go 15k plus and be good for a year.

Well how about HM ?
4 maybe 5k

Normal cov?
3500 to 4

That 20% synthic blend really don't help oil life?
No not really. Just adds 2 months to the so call 3 month life span.

What would you use in your own car?
Well...................HM oil on my older one full synthic on a new car .

Why?
It just works out better for the car its self . The motor is the life line .

Well why can it sit on the self so long ?
No heat or fast temp changes no wear and tear adding. To the break down.

So on the end note if you have a wet clutch bike advoid a HM oil or and thing will a slip add. Or a frction mod In it . Even if you might think motorcycle oil only in a bike or whatever your case its up to you. Just advoid what we already know.

Also a castrol rep is supposed to be coming by on the 30th so I have a good feeling his answers to some questions will be different. By how much on the other hand makes you wonder.

Hope this helps some of you with a HM questions now to who who did not care before it makes you wonder now I'm sure.

So what oil are you going to use?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Interesting

Full Synthetic oils for me

I don't like the thought of the speed mineral oil degrades if it gets to hot (IE fan temp sensor fails you still can ride home with more confidence)

Oil change twice a year still, probably over kill ? .....6- 7000 miles oil change for me

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Thanks for this write up...
Can`t wait to hear what the Castrol folk says...

Yeah, I`m that anonymous member that made the mistake of putting high mileage Castrol in my Bike...
Chickenman came by yesterday with his clutch slipping now, we both used it...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not adding any arguing points but there is one thing to remember. A good motor oil no matter the chemistry should last at least 5000 miles. It slowly picks up microscopic metallic particles which remain suspended and circulating throughout the engine. Even the best oil will have this happen. The only way to remove this is to either filter it with an extremely fine filter, or change it.
A filter fine enough to remove all the particles will become clogged quickly. (furnace filter topic in here, but this is about motorcycles)
I've seen oils boasting extremely long breakdown cycles. That's good, but do you really want all that debris circulating inside your engine for another X000 miles?
Use an oil that will not break down during a reasonable interval. replace it and the filter often. Drain it immediately after it has been run and thus has the particles still suspended. Do it often. Three, or even ten more cases of motor oil over the life of the engine is still just a fraction of the expense and trouble of replacing the engine.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Mine gets changed at 5,000 miles regularly...
I tried the 8 that Honda recommends but didn`t like the "feel" over the last 2K...

One good thing from this flush, is I can use this oil I drain out, in my truck ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Motor oil threads. Great for the winter down season. Better than network TV.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for this write up...
Can`t wait to hear what the Castrol folk says...

Yeah, I`m that anonymous member that made the mistake of putting high mileage Castrol in my Bike...
Chickenman came by yesterday with his clutch slipping now, we both used it...

Did you ever fix it

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Here in Texas i use 20/50 Moble 1 VT motorcycle oil. No problems bike seems to like it also..
That's the worst oil unless you ride a Harley. 20-50 is recommended for air cooled Harleys not good for liquid cooled Honda's.

Dingo.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
That's the worst oil unless you ride a Harley. 20-50 is recommended for air cooled Harleys not good for liquid cooled Honda's.

Dingo.
Actually, 2w50 is probably the wisest choice as it will shear fairly quickly to a 40 wt.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Did you ever fix it
I`m in the process of flushing/washing the c r a p from the clutches, to see how much more use I can get from them...
I`ve priced replacement @ $150+ from my local Honda shop...
I foresee the change coming about February...
Cutting expenses whilst saving my pennies, nickels and quarters now...

GN4 is prescribed on the next oil change ;)

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
174 Posts

Dingo.
Dingo please read oiloligy question and answer#6 and please note where i live and ride.
I ride a honda spirit 07 1100 and realy preforms well now.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
High mileage, low mileage, synthetic, dino or anything else is irrelevant -- the only important thing to note when you buy oil for a wet clutch motorcycle is whether the container says it has friction modifiers or not.

If you change at decent intervals you will be OK with any appropriate oil. But I do believe that synthetic is a better choice for 1) an air-cooled motor which might hit some very high temps; or 2) if you are on a longish tour that will lengthen the oil change interval.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,242 Posts
I tried the 8 that Honda recommends but didn`t like the "feel" over the last 2K...
You sure you've still got it all in here for that last 2k? I will guarantee it feels different when it gets low regardless of whether or not the oil's performance has degraded.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
High mileage, low mileage, synthetic, dino or anything else is irrelevant -- the only important thing to note when you buy oil for a wet clutch motorcycle is whether the container says it has friction modifiers or not.
That was kinda the point to the interview will call it i had. This stuff is my living. When y'all make mistakes you pay me time fix it and know the oil background helps me out. The point here cap D had was he added a HM oil to the bike not knowing if it had the friction mods in it. Oil companies won't tell him and I just so happened to read a post he made and hopefully saved his clutch. I'm going to be post 3 more interviews with company's and the last one I'll be posting is the all time at motorcycle oil amsol. But that won't be till June since they don't stop by offten.

This posting ain't ment to be a major thing it's just to help informe the people that can't get answers.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Before I put the Castrol High Mileage oil in my motorcycle, I read the label well...
It stated nothing about molys, polys, friction modifyers or reducers...
It was an SN API rating also, so I went ahead with it...
Conditioners is the word I was concerned with and this is what bit me in the uh huh ...
I`ll heat up the oil Saturday on another 170+ miles trip, and drain it upon reaching home in the nighttime...
The clutch is directly under the fill hole, I can rinse the clutches a final time and let it sit overnight, then continue the oil change...
Hopefully this oil change from hell will be history :D

merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
February is here ;)
I`m addressing this issue again...
So, Sweeet Ace, what`d your reps have to say since our discussion last???

Chickenman has purchased chain & sprocket kit for my Bike, I hope it`s the one I asked for :D

He said OEM was purchased...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts