1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

New rider here (please be gentle!)

The background:
I've had my Beastie (2015 Shadow Phantom 750cc) for 8 months now and she's my first bike. It was love at first vroom. I bought her used with just under 1500 miles on her, went ahead and got the service manual and did some basic services (both because she needed it and because I needed to learn it: oil, air filter, ect). I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and believe it's better (and more cost efficient) to learn to fix things yourself. So far, I've put about 200 miles on her and am learning by educating myself and practice-practice-practice. (Quick note, I did the MSF class, already licensed, and will be taking the intermediate and advanced classes. ;) )

The problem:
Probably two months after I got her, she started making this high pitched trilling noise on take off and when accelerating (but not full throttle). It's harder to describe, and I will happily upload a video where it can be heard if that would be more helpful.

The question:
I've been trying to find out what this could be. I've found lots of info on chirping but I'm not sure if this falls into that category and I'm new enough to riding that I'm not sure if this is normal to the 2015 Shadow Phantom or if it's indicative of an issue or pending failure. Since it started a couple of months after I got her, I suspect it's not "normal".... but as to what level of abnormal, I'm unsure.

So, I ask for the benefit of others' experiences and knowledge: is this normal? If not, is it something I can check/test for? Something that is repairable/replaceable?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
(2015 Shadow Phantom 750cc) for 8 months now and she's my first bike. . I bought her used with just under 1500 miles on her, I've put about 200 miles on her.

Probably two months after I got her, she started making this high pitched trilling noise on take off and when accelerating (but not full throttle).

I will happily upload a video where it can be heard if that would be more helpful.
A video is a good idea. If you can also identify the general area where you believe the noise is coming from ( top of engine, bottom of engine, chain, fuel tank, etc), that will be helpful.

Describing sounds with words is a very unsatisfactory process, in my opinion. I've noticed that the words chosen are culturally influenced, one country's "clack" will be described as "tik" in another. You'll find the same principle in effect with the words use to describe the sound of laughing. A video or audio recording is best.

Can you produce this sound with the bike stationary?

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Mine started "buzzing" and I got my wife out there to place her finger on different things whilst I held throttle at that point it buzzed, until she put her finger on the headlight and the buzz stopped...
Yes, I`m deaf,
Dennis

·
Registered
2007 Shadow Aero
26 Posts
Does it do it in neutral? If so, have someone open the throttle while you do a sound check with a long metal screwdriver. Put the handle to your ear and the tip (flathead works best) to different parts of the bike until you pinpoint where the sound is coming from. That will make it easier to diagnose and, if necessary, repair.

But you also mentioned you’ve changed the oil. Search and check out some of the oil threads. I’ve never experienced it myself, but from what I’ve read on this forum, these bikes can be temperamental about oil, even when it meets all of the right specifications, and like a bad first date, they can get a little noisy if they don’t like the oil you give them.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,262 Posts
If you can get the noise going with the bike sitting do the screwdriver trick on the waterpump. If the wrong antifreeze was used they will whislte. If that is the type of noise you are hearing.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,847 Posts
Bump on the exhaust pipes when they are cool with the side of your fist. Sometimes an exhaust clamp gets loose and rusty and vibrates and causes very loud noises like that. Certain RPMs really bring it out.

Reactions: kesanders
1 - 6 of 6 Posts