Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't ride the highway often but curious as to what speed you guys are mechanically comfortable cruising at? Basically how fast do you push your bike I ride a '99 ACE 750.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,215 Posts
On open highway usually 120 to 130 km/h (75 to 80 mph) indicated is a good cruise on a 750 ACE.
It depends greatly on conditions and general traffic speed what I will run.
A stock 750 ACE will happily run at whatever maximum speed you can get out of it, which will probably be 90 to 100 mph depending on rider weight and aerodynamic encumbrances.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I take the word "cruising" to heart. I don't "push" the bike.

So I guess it's safe to say that I'm good up to around 80mph. (real speed, not indicated.)
When I start spending a lot time at 85+, then I don't feel as comfortable, mostly because it's not that much fun or relaxing anymore.
I'm all about relaxed riding. ?

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCA7 Spirit - NHB01 Black
472 Posts
Generally cruising around here is 70-80mph, I exceed that at times but it’s not something I do daily or even weekly, more on an as-needed passing/merging basis. Just having fun I have had it up over 100mph twice and knowing it can pull my ass there with all the drag from my big bars and body is really all I need to know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take the word "cruising" to heart. I don't "push" the bike.

So I guess it's safe to say that I'm good up to around 80mph. (real speed, not indicated.)
When I start spending a lot time at 85+, then I don't feel as comfortable, mostly because it's not that much fun or relaxing anymore.
I'm all about relaxed riding. ?
I feel and ride the same way ? That said if I ride a highway it's usually in the 70-80 range depending on conditions. I appreciate the answers as I mostly ride by myself.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Depends on the bike and condition of the super-slab
I just go with the flow on my VT-1100 usually.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
I feel comfortable on the interstate running with traffic speed...
Coming up I 95 outta Ft Lauderdale area a sheriff motorcycle cop merged in with me and we were running 95 MPH, once he got into traffic flow I ran right along with him too as long as he was headed my way... :D

When leaving my driveway, I shift into 5th @ 80 MPH regularly,
Dennis
I live in rural GA + no neighbors

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,337 Posts
Mechanically the bike can run at about 90 mph. The problem is "you" cannot go 90 for long periods. I bought that bike in 1999 and also had a few other bikes at the time. I felt most comfortable at about 60. Anything faster it had vibration. At about 70 too much turbulence (I had National Cycle windshield). If I was going on a leisurely ride on secondary roads it was my favorite. I went for 1 multi day trip with it and a variety of other bikes and found my steady tortoise speed outlasted the "hares" easily.

G.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2003 VT750DCB doesn't really like doing above 75-80. I can feel it really start to work more than it probably should. That said, it can cruise easy at 60-65 for hours and hours. Makes me a little nervous on i95 and rt50 here around Washington, DC. The 'flow of traffic' is 85-90 (posted 65) and man do I feel like I'm about to be run down. Off those major roads however it's easy living. Wish the bike was in better shape cause I'd love to tour it but I have a "new" 2014 Valkyrie for when I need to go fast or haul real distance. :D

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
115 is the MOST I`ve ever gotten outta my Baby...
Doing laps on Atlanta Motor Speedway during our ABATE Swapmeet/Track Run...
I was running with the top 4 when I thought about it...
I considered a mishap at this speed with the four of us close together and dropped back a few bike lengths...
THEN I dropped down & back behind the pack just to pass them all back to top 4 :D
Yes, the pacecar had us going THAT FAST!!!

I got the patch,
Dennis

·
Registered
143 Posts
Spring time around here is brutal on the highway. The roads are filthy with pebbles and salt. Someone changes lanes and you get blasted. The other day the guy in front of me kissed the shoulder. I thought I was going to need a face-lift.
Pebble of stone or salt, that stuff hurts at highway speed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The 39 or 38 tooth rear sprocket will help with the vibrations at highway speeds, at the expense of a bit of acceleration. I used 39T on both my 750's as I rode 2-up a lot. 39T is the sprocket these bikes should have came with from the factory. It feels good at 75 indicated. Also a more relaxed ride on the secondary roads. Might have to downshift a bit earlier on hilly secondary roads, (Honda did use a 39T rear on the RS)

·
Registered
32 Posts
my 2cent: bike running 80-90mph on highway is like shooting an AR on full auto... no impossible but difficult sustain. The "wear & tear" factor exponentially multiplies by hauling ass & you just reach end of the bikes parts/shelf life quicker. 3-5 round burst works best to suppress most threats i.e. my '15 Phantom cruises well at 80mph, i'll push 80+ to pass traffic or if some idiot is eyeballing my bike. Of course, its always nice to have little acceleration to feel the wind slapping your helmet every now & than.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Im merely "Run with the Big Dogs" when I`m on Interstate, don`t watch speedo much when doing that though, 90 is regular reading...(which really is 85MPH on mine)
Ft Lauderdale to Jacksonville FL ALL DAY...

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I never think to look down at my speedo when on a highway. I just hop in the fast lane and roll the throttle back. Whatever traffic is doing, that's what I'm doing. All alone on these quiet NV roads, 75mph is my norm. I don't have a windscreen, I hate those things, so the bike rides real smooth at speed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it. I was mostly around 70-75 occasionally hitting 80 and she felt smooth, no vibrations at all. I do have a windscreen but now feel compelled to try with it off. the roads were fairly quiet this past weekend...one might even had described them as Corona Light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2003 VT750DCB doesn't really like doing above 75-80. I can feel it really start to work more than it probably should. That said, it can cruise easy at 60-65 for hours and hours. Makes me a little nervous on i95 and rt50 here around Washington, DC. The 'flow of traffic' is 85-90 (posted 65) and man do I feel like I'm about to be run down. Off those major roads however it's easy living. Wish the bike was in better shape cause I'd love to tour it but I have a "new" 2014 Valkyrie for when I need to go fast or haul real distance. :D
I'm with you. I drive from PA down to Baltimore quite often but have learned to avoid 95 by using Route 1 (much more relaxed) until the last 10 miles or so - I call 95 the "Kill Zone" because I can't see surviving much of anything at that speed. Like you said, everyone is going 85-90 and I even feel my car front end get light around 80, so I don't even try to keep up - just pick a slower lane and stay there. But with a family dependent on me I tend to stay conservative.

To each his own as long as everyone stays safe and enjoys the ride!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Granted it's not a cruising speed, but today I wound her up to 110mph, Hondas 98-03 750 (IMHO) is really nice and smooth at speed, the bars do shake at idle, I think all single pins do though, but no bar buzz or vibrations through the seat unlike my CB750, at highway speeds its like having two hands full of angry bees.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,215 Posts
I understand my evil twin finds mine well behaved beyond "The Ton" too, that kind of stuff is seriously illegal around here though so I'd never try it myself.
I figure mine should make it easily into the 120's, but I can't see it being able to pull 5th all the way to my assigned red line of 7500 rpm.

Gearing Commander ⚙ fun to see how they spin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts