Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,446 Posts
5 mph. above the speed limit but 70 mph. is comfortable on the slab and 60 mph. on two lane highways.

Now the "fast" lane mph., top speed on a Valk, 131 mph. me, 105 mph actual but the windshield buffeting comes into play but it does this in about 12 seconds whereas the 1100 Spirit took 1+ mile to get to 101 mph. actual with a Spitfire windshield.

·
Registered
518 Posts
75 is nice, smooth cruzin on the slab with VT750DC Spirit, 21" MS Fats windshield and 38T rear sprocket - windshield's workin well, rpm's lessthan 4K, & knockin off miles nicely. But over 75 wind buffeting picks up and requires duckin or slumpin down and comfort goes down fast... Scoot will run right up to 90 easily but basicly done after that pushin the windschield and me at 200lb+. 2up doesnt effect it much, ,just doesn't get there as quickly.
Quite acceptable for 20-50miles. However on a 75-80 mile run from Knox to Chattanooga (quickly) it'll have ya beat up and buzzin pretty bad. It aint a long distance/all day superslab cruzier at all - take the back road, scenic views for day cruzin!

And those speeds are actual and right on per Gps and Speedo.
The speedo got fixed and accurate when I replaced the front tire! The stock front tire calls for a 110/80-19, but when I needed a new tire the front tire matching the rear was only available in 110/90-19. A little taller series (taller sidewall) tire, slows the tire down a bit, and the speedo - corrects the speedo to be near perfect with the GPS. Was a nice little side effect usin a 90 series front tire...

EditAdd: Just reset the GPS trip history - It had the Max Speed at 96mph! (a bit better than the speedo has ever indicated - Good nuff for my lazy scootin)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well, I was doing 95Mph down I-110 yesterday in Pensacola...
very few cars on the roads...and felt the need for speed :D
I think that pretty much maxxed out the old VT500C.
Couldn't seem to get it going any faster.
Windshield probably doesn't help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 39 or 38 tooth rear sprocket will help with the vibrations at highway speeds, at the expense of a bit of acceleration. I used 39T on both my 750's as I rode 2-up a lot. 39T is the sprocket these bikes should have came with from the factory. It feels good at 75 indicated. Also a more relaxed ride on the secondary roads. Might have to downshift a bit earlier on hilly secondary roads, (Honda did use a 39T rear on the RS)
I have no idea what my rear sprocket is but I'll count it and definitely change it out if not as part of my rebuild. Great advice, thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Granted it's not a cruising speed, but today I wound her up to 110mph, Hondas 98-03 750 (IMHO) is really nice and smooth at speed, the bars do shake at idle, I think all single pins do though, but no bar buzz or vibrations through the seat unlike my CB750, at highway speeds its like having two hands full of angry bees.
"angry bees" is a great way to put that, yeah!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
On the small VLX, do you notice significant increase of fuel consumption going from e.g. 55-60 to holding 70 mph?
At 55 to 65mpg I never noticed any unusual consumption.
At 70+, for long periods, yes. The same goes for oil consumption. Neither are drastic, but still noticeable.
I don't think it's something specific to the smaller engines, though.

The most drastic effect on consumption didn't have to do so much with speed as with the fuel. The higher the level of corn squeezings (ethanol) in the gas, the less miles I get.
It isn't that obvious for local riding around or commuting, but on long highway riding trips I'll usually spend the extra money for non-ethanol gas if it's available.
Anything over 10% is a no-go anyway.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts