Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured being new to the forum (and pretty new to long distance riding) I'd post some shots my wife took.

Headed to Bandera along Hwy 16

Side road to Polly's Chapel Historic Site

End of the dirt road

Polly's Chapel (still functioning too, they had people out there planning to make a level space for enhanced parking)

Side of TX-173 on the way to Kerrville

Stonehenge II, our turning back point

Hill Country view from I-10 at a "scenic viewpoint"

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
OK, why is stonehenge defying gravity, and what the feck is this flower doing blocking my view?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cool pics, looks like a great place to ride. I use to hunt the Hill country many years ago. Outside of Fredericksberg.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Stonehenge II used to be located on FM 1430 just west of Hunt but last time I was there it was laying around in pieces. We were told that it was being moved to Ingram. Is that where the pictures were taken? While you were in the neighborhood I hope you visited the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool.
http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/
Inside is the Ace Café, a nice place to grab a bite to eat.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it's in Ingram now. I argued with my wife a little about this because I remembered it being west of Hunt too and seeing it all the time on my way to the Boy Scouts camp out there, didn't realize it had been moved.

And we were going to do Vanderpool and the museum but my wife was getting numb-butt thanks to the stock seat and the nearly 3 hours of riding at that point so we went home. That'll have to be another trip some day, maybe when it's not 100F outside.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've done that I-10 to SH-16 several times in the past year. Have not seen the Stonehenge. We'll have to go after that at some point. We usually leave after work on Friday afternoons, ride out I-10 because it's quicker, then take 16 all the way back to San Antonio. I LOVE those 15 mph curves. We found that El Chapparral (out 16 near Helotes) has the very best Mexican food we've had, and I've been chasing good Mexican food since I moved down here in '88.

Another fun trip is out Foster Road, south, around Calaveras Lake. We also love heading out 281 and taking Devil's Backbone to New Braunfels. And, some good backroads to get up to Austin, especially if you want to have some good BBQ at The Salt Lick just south of Austin.

LOTS of fun riding around here. If you want to try to plan something, I might be able to work it out, especially if I can get April to go with us. If you PM me, I'll send you my contact info.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stonehenge is on your left as you take 39 out of Ingram towards Hunt, in front of a local playhouse. I'll have to take 16 from Kerrville to Bandera next time, took 173 because I had read that the twisties on 16 can be a little daunting for a newer rider and I had still mostly ridden the Shadow on straight roads at that point.

I liked 27 going north out of Ingram, even though it added an extra 40 minutes or so to our ride. It's got some nice sweeping curves, a couple of really great views of the river, and at least two exotic animal farms (we saw pronghorn antelopes and a longhorn with some of the biggest horns I've seen on one, my wife saw what I think was an elk after she described it to me)

Also, we found a pretty good mexican place in Kerrville right off of 173 before you turn on 27 towards Ingram.

·
Registered
884 Posts
That stretch of 16 between Kerrville and Bandera does have a few serious twisties, a couple of which are marked 15 mph. You must observe that 15 mph like your life depends upon it. It's not like a 35 mph curve you can take at 40, or a 50 mph curve you can take at 70. In those spots, 15 mph means 15 mph. And, you won't be sorry for taking them at 10 mph, either. Should be no problem if you just take it easy and don't outride your abilities.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It is a great area to ride. Went last October. One of the main reasons I wanted to ride the area was the Stonehinge model. When we got there we found this...

They were in the final stages of dismantling it to move it to it's new location.

Great pictures ... hope you enjoyed your trip down there as much as we did ... already planning on going back. A week was just not enough time to cover it all.

Here is a link to some pics from our trip. Got a few from Highway 16 in there ....

Texas Hill Country Vacation • Kerrville Texas - FavoriteRoads

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
great pics!

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I rode that area late September last year and Stonehedge had already been moved. Great country riding. I'm hoping to go back this fall when it's cooler. Yes some of those roads say and mean 15mph. You also have to keep a close eye out for deer on the roadside too. I'll try and get a pic that was taken where we had one buck pace us at about 10mph for over a mile before he took off into the brush. Pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts