Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruising home after work, deer jumps onto road about 30-40 feet a head of me. Two lane road on a straight section of country road. I was doing 50-55 , the speed limit, he is in the opposite lane and i hit the brakes hard. Thought i was going to make it then poof, he decides to jump into my lane. i hit him dead on, front wheel gets turned to the left on impact, i try to maintain but cant, go down on low left side and slide for 50 feet on blacktop and end up in the grassy knoll.

Road rash on upper left arm and both elbows, bruised left ribs and shoulder and welt on my left thigh from my car/house keys.

a cyclist had witnessed and was there 15 seconds after it happened, he helped me get bike back up. State Trooper pulled up around 2 minutes later.

The deer was in a gully along side of the road and I did not see him until he jumped up onto the road. If he had been 50 feet farther down the road I probably would of saw him since it flattens out.

The Trooper helped me find my phone and asks again how I'm feeling. I was a bit sore and a bit better for wear but nothing major. Just as we find the phone the deer jumps up, stumbles falls, then back up onto road looking right at us, both of us were unsure what the deer was going to do next. he was standing about 5 feet in front of us and looking directly at us. I had seen that same look just 20 minutes before. he goes down the gully and stumbles a few more times before going off into the woods.

I check the bike, broken headlight assembly, gas tank has 3 major dents, gear shift lever bent and i kick back to place though bolt is loose, right mirror broken off, handle bars bent, scuff on front and rear fender, scuff on left lower engine cover, left rear taillight bent, sissybar bent and torn up, all fluids still intact, shifter and brakes check out and i do a basic 10 mph ride checking functions on the bike.

I was able to ride the last 7 miles home taking it easy.

It was 6:45pm on a 98 degree, humid day. Not a common place ive seen deer either. Ive run the scenario several times in my head and don't think i could of did anything different other than wore my jacket to prevent the road rash.

shoulder is starting to stiffen up and ribs bruised, tomorrow morning is gonna suck. took me 20 minutes to get off the couch after a short nap.

Not sure what insurance will say, it's a 2005 Shadow Aero 750, i had picked up bike in April and rode 4k since then on it, total 14k miles. im guessing it will depend if forks or frame got tweaked. Sucks, loved the bike and it looked showroom new. My Hard saddle bags are supposed to be in tomorrow too.

Im ok and that is whats important.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Glad your ok, That Bambi is probably a easy coyote meal by now or died out in the woods. Heal up and you'll get the bike fixed up.

Dauntae

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Get well soon my friend. Thanks for sharing your unfortunate incident with us.
I live in Canada so deer are evrywhere here. I've hit 2 but both times in the cage.
There's nothing you can do to avoid collisions such as this so don't beat yourself.
Just be thankful that it wasn't worse.
Hopefully you will heal up fast, make the repairs and then get back on your bike.

Phil.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Glad your okay. The positive aspect of this is that your okay enough to jump on the forum and tell us about this...instead of us seeing a posting, starting "In rememberance.." Hope your able to get around tomorrow..

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
glad your okay bud.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
glad you are OK. Hope the bike is fixable. I had my first deer encounter last Saturday. I saw him coming up from the ditch on left side of road and fortunately for me, he crossed the road right behind me. No danger for me but it was still a pucker moment.

Hope you'll be back riding again soon.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
OH MAN, one of my biggest fears!!!!!
I see multiple deer (and armadillos) every night when I come home from work.
Glad you are OK. I bet you hurt much worse this morning, though.
Sounds like you did what most would have done, slow down. Any words of advice?
I wear my jacket when I can, but can't bring myself to do it when it's scorching hot like you describe.
Dan

·
Registered
369 Posts
Good to know you were able to get up and make it home. One of the things I like about my location is its flat as heck and I can see animals coming for miles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad to hear your ok, you will get the bike back to tip top condition in no time.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That's way too bad... Glad you came out of it with few injuries.... Could have been way worse. The bike can be fixed or replaced. We, on the other hand, are older models and parts are not readily available... Heal soon and ride on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident. Hope your injuries aren't severe and you heal quikly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm glad to hear you could walk away from it. I had a deer dart out in front of the car in front of me and it happens so quick. I agree about the hot weather, I prefer to wear a jacket but it's hard when it's so hot out. I see riders wearing full gear in 95 degree weather and I dont know how they do it, I sweat like a pig.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Glad you're ok, take care of yourself!

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
The trooper couldn't at least have shot the deer so you could have winter meat?!? What a bastage!!!:x:mrgreen:

Glad to hear you survived! Time to heal up then go bike shopping!:D;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts