Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My fiance has a 2009 VTX1300. She wants the bike to have some sound to it but new pipes just aren't in the budget right now. I know that she would love the sound especially since I have Cobra pipes on my bike and she really likes that sound.
I want to do a hole saw mod on her bike as a surprise but I also don't want to get a surprise myself by it having a decel pop after the mod.

My question/ concern is, will I need to rejet the carbs after the mod? Will the pipes start turning color?

I have read multiple threads on this but still am unsure...

Thank you in advance,

Andy

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you're only doing the Holesaw" mod, then there shouldn't be any need to alter the carby settings...

But if you change to a high flow air cleaner, say a K&N and do the "Holesaw" mod, well then you just might have to at a minimum adjust the idle mixtures, and probably a jet change might be needed as well...

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
You could start with drilling a hole or 2 and see how that sounds before doing the hole saw mod and removing the baffles.

I've always read that the A/F mix may need tweaking especially if you get some decel poppung.

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
You say vtx 1300 right? Ever seen one of them with a hole saw mod? I havent, but I have kind of tuned stock exhaust by drilling holes. I don't have stock pipes and connotations remember exactly how they are to completely advise. But...
On the Aero and Spirit (750- 2006models)
I drilled with a LOOOOONG bit the center hole out, this is the pipe inside the pipe, it gave me much more sound than any other holes I drilled. But then I also drilled a series of holes around the edge of pipe to kind of tweak/tune the sound I wanted. This created a good sound but not a loud annoying sound.
I have heard numerous hole saw mods on 750s and dislike the sound, it's just loud, not a good sound IMHO, this is why I did the mod the way I did.
As for vtx and deceleration pop, I had some deceleration pop, mostly coasting down pretty big hills entering curves n such.
I bought, online, some par valve block off plates, around $20 or so and installed them, about 30 minutes time, deceleration pop gone bye bye!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
449 Posts
On a 750 I too hate the hole saw mod, on a VTX 1300 I love it. Being the bike is an 09 a jet change would not be a bad idea as they are leaner than previous years. 08 and 09s used a 190 main were years prior had a 195, I would throw a 200 if it were me. The block off plates that coop mentions are not a bad idea either, give the exhaust a little deeper note in addition to eliminating pops. You don't have to do the jetting right away but I would put it on my list of things to do and you can get the jet for about 5 bucks at your local dealer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if its got the stock pipes like mine just punch it out.
i used an metal rebar that fit into the exhaust holes snuggley. made a point at the end of the rebar slide it into the pipe and hit it to punch through he baffles of each pipe.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i did it on my 750. i had my mufflers welded back in few months later. the sound was hollow and annoying. don't do it! or at least start with drilling one hole in each pipe!

·
Registered
354 Posts
About a month ago we watched the 2" holesaw modification on Youtube. As the video was ending my wife was pulling on her boots, she was on her way to the hardware store to buy a holesaw. We did the modification to her bike. It's alright I guess. She revs it more at red lights. With that one thing being done, I notice no real increase in popping at any time. I've yet to look at the plugs. That'll have to wait I guess until we can ride more and get a true reading.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Christopher Columbus took a chance; look what all HE found! :mrgreen:

Oh.
Wait.
It's your FIANCE's bike. :oops:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes...her bike is a VTX 1300.
Looking up the hole saw mod, I believe all they take out is the resonator and it sounds a little better. That's all I want to do.

My bike has Cobra drag pipes on it and it's an ACE VT 750 CD2.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I've mentioned before and will repeat here, punching the holes in the pipes can't be good for the mounting areas of the pipes. It's much safer to drill these holes. Just punching or drilling holes around the baffles is not the hole saw mod btw.
The hole saw mod is considered as removing the baffles completely and then if you choose, drill holes inside the pipes(about 17'' deep inside the pipes) on the plate that is behind the baffles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts