Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Riders,

So I've been watching videos on YouTube, and people are doing the "hole Saw mod," which removes the baffles from the stock pipes. Seems like a simple enough mod to do, and cheap. It seems like the bikes end up with a great sound after the baffles are removed. Does anyone know about this mod been legal? Anyone done it before. I'm curious to do it to my bike. Any negatives on this mod?

Whats do you guys think?

Reny

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My VLX had a version of the holesaw mod. It sounded great and I liked it a lot. I had absolutely no desire to go aftermarket. Some of my friends thought it was a bit on the loud side (but this holesaw mod was different, don't think anyone has done it before). I believe the usual hole saw mod doesn't make the bike much louder than stock.

Here in Utah there is no decibel level requirement. The law only states that you must have a muffler. Your states/areas might have different laws.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went to a guys house to look at some VLX accessories he had posted on craigslist. He had done the holesaw mod to his 2005. I had him fire it up, and I thought it sounded pretty good. I've been thinking about doing it myself. My rear pipe has some road rash from the previous owner, so if I didn't like it, it would give me another reason to buy a set of shiny new pipes.:cool:

·
Registered
680 Posts
The holesaw mod is very easy and, it does change the tone and loudness of the bike. It's definitely an improvement over the stock sound but, it's not obnoxiously loud. This was one of the first things I did to my bike when I got it but, about a month after I was lucky to come across some brand new V&H pipes for a steal so I grabbed those instead - also modified the baffles on that to make it louder.

As far as I know, most States have a 90db limit and I imagine you'd be okay with doing this mod without hassle from the cops, especially if you're not bringing any extra attention to yourself by revving the snot out the bike lol.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't know about the VLX but on my 1100 Spirit i did the hole saw mod then used a piece of rebar and poked a hole in the next set of baffles then blocked off the crossover tube.

It barely meet's code for NH but I like the sounds of it alot better than just the regular hole saw mod.

EDIT: Code of NH is 108db at 2 or 3 feet with meter on a 45 to exhaust with the engine rev at about 2000 rpm.....if i remember right

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
I did the holesaw mod on my '96 VLX. I only removed the resonators and didn't worry about punching out anything further in or anything like that. Night and day difference to how the bike sounded. Not too loud, not too quiet. Also a nice growl to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
86-87 vt700 exhaust mod

Has anyone heard of the hole saw mod being done to an 86-87 vt700 ? Looked in the end of the exhaust and it looks as though there is an offset or turn in the baffle. Not straight like the baffles I've seen from other's bikes.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I don't know about the VLX but on my 1100 Spirit i did the hole saw mod then used a piece of rebar and poked a hole in the next set of baffles
I did this on my vlx, however rather than the rebar i used a 17" drill bit and drilled the holes in the second set of baffles, great sound.

mark

·
Registered
274 Posts
At first I thought it was really loud and obnoxious... but I was just used to the stock pipes at that point. After two weeks I realized it wasn't too loud. Now I could stand a louder set of pipes.

The sound is a huge improvement, but far from buying a set of V&H pipes. Also quiet a bit cheaper so that's the tradeoff!

·
Registered
95 Posts
when I was looking for Honda Shadows for sale online, I had a preference that the bike had stock pipes without the hole saw mod. I got lucky and found the color, engine size, and stock exhaust pipes that I wanted. I don't like attracting more attention from LEO, plus my ears will thank me for it while riding for long periods of time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
when I was looking for Honda Shadows for sale online, I had a preference that the bike had stock pipes without the hole saw mod. I got lucky and found the color, engine size, and stock exhaust pipes that I wanted. I don't like attracting more attention from LEO, plus my ears will thank me for it while riding for long periods of time.
I understand your concern about the noise but I can't see this mod putting you into trouble with the LEO's. My bike is as quiet or quieter than stock HD's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hole saw mod?

did any of experience any loss of power or torque with the hole saw mod im thinking about doing it to my 07 sabre but heard it could rob the torque , did u have to rejet the carbs ?

·
Registered
274 Posts
No noticeable difference, in my opinion. Also didn't rejet, but did bring the A/F screws out to 3.25 turns

·
Registered
777 Posts
(This is a copy of what I posted in another thread about the holesaw mod)

Doing this mod will make it louder and depending on how far you go with the mod also the loudness will increase... This really is a preference thing, I did it as stock it sounded like a sewing machine, but I didn't want to blow out my eardrums or get headaches from the noise with some of these aftermarket units while cruising around. Since doing this, it is pleasantly louder, but not enough to annoy the neighbors, and is actually very quiet once your at a constant speed, almost as if it was stock. But roll open the throttle and you can hear it much more than stock... :grin:

I originally did my mini holesaw mod trick as described below in #1, but then eventually did it as per #2. In either mod, you will NOT have to do any changes to the carby jetting.
But if you do the Airbox Mod and put a K&N filter in there, well you may possible have to look at the jetting, but not always. But futunately for me I don't have to worry about jetting as mine is EFI...
Doing either of these mods, and if you have the tools on hand it will only take about 10-15mins doing it yourself.

These are two ways you can do the Holesaw mod to the original exhaust.

Keeping the Original Look

#1. Keeping the original look, you can just drill the end cap of the 1" pipe (Img #1) with a 15/16" drill (or use a small holesaw if you can't find a drill that large) or maybe use a 1/2" drill and drill a few holes into the resonator end cap. I went one step further and drilled a 1/2" hole into the rear baffle, sounded very nice...

The Full Resonator Removal
#2. Or do the full holesaw mod (which I eventually did) which removes the resonator. But I would suggest that you use a 1-3/4" holes saw as this will leave a narrow piece of metal around the circumference of the muffler (Img #2) so if you at any stage wanted to replace the resonators or for what ever reason, you can as you still have a metal ring to weld them back into place...

Also If you want to go a little further the get a more distinct sound, you can also block of or restrict the cross over tube...

Hint: Before drilling with the holesaw, knock a piece of wood into the 1" pipe, drill a small hole into the centre of the wood as a guide and then when you use the holesaw, it will centralize the cut in the muffler leaving an equal piece of metal around the end of the muffler (Img #2)...
Safety Hint: Also make sure it's in 1st gear and chock the wheels to stop it rolling forward as when your drilling it is possible to push the bike of the stand.

#1... I did this first as it kept the original look of the pipes, but louder sounding more like a V-Twin but not over the top...

#2...
I did this after having the first mod for about 6 months and it was louder, but again, not over the top...
Sound Clip Link to this Mod...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts