Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys & gals, Does anyone know of any ill effects created by doing the hole saw mod, (VT750 C2b) Thanks.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,449 Posts
Ruining a perfectly good exhaust that are not cheap to replace or find? :( You want louder, find a set of aftermarket pipes used and add baffles accordingly but please be aware that you only have one pair of ears. Industrial noise, gun fire, and lifelong ear problems is my baine thus sitting here typing with ringing in my ears.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Not to mention $3000+ for decent hearing aids later on.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Ruining a perfectly good exhaust that are not cheap to replace or find? :( You want louder, find a set of aftermarket pipes used and add baffles accordingly but please be aware that you only have one pair of ears. Industrial noise, gun fire, and lifelong ear problems is my baine thus sitting here typing with ringing in my ears.
Ditto!!!

There is the possibility that by making the exhaust flow more that you will also need to make changes to the intake side. Then you will need to make changes to the fuel metering system, larger jets for carbs or aftermarket fuel injector controller. It can be a deep rabbit hole.

I drilled out the baffle plugs in my mufflers with a 9/16” drill. They sound a lot better but not loud. I can barely hear them at 65mph with a half helmet. No other adjustments needed to the motor.

I suggest, as others have, if you want loud buy aftermarket exhaust. Then if you don’t like it you can put the stock exhaust back on and if you do like it you can sell the stock exhaust.

Once you hole saw the mufflers there is no going back.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
from what ive seen the hole saw mod looks easy on u tube just get a new bit and some wd 40 and drill them things and yank em right out

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Now in the past I have recommended drilling 3 7/16" holes somewhat equally spaced thus if it didn't sound good you can take a 1/4" pipe tap and thread the holes 2/3 deep and install 1/4" plugs tightly to regain stock sound but as most agree don't mess with baffles by sawing or punching. Lots cheaper also w/o ruining your exhaust.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
from what ive seen the hole saw mod looks easy on u tube just get a new bit and some wd 40 and drill them things and yank em right out

WD40 is worthless for any machining operation. Wheel bearing grease is better in this application and if you use the holesaw @ the right speed, it will help in collecting the metal debris.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
529 Posts
Howdy skeffo!

You can do whatever you want with your exhaust, but I would not recommend the hole saw mod simply because it will devalue your bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts