Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost faith in a local dealer for the following reasons. I was quoted a price of $160 above another dealer on installing some pipes and rejetting my bike.... 15 or 20 maybe but 160 that's a substantial difference. Keep in mind that these guys are local and are MUCH closer to my house than the other guys. I am in sales so I drop in every once in a while at lunch to kill some time. Yesterday I stopped in again to ask about changing my turn signal covers to clear with Amber Bulbs. The first girl I talked to at the service counter asked me if a Sabre 1100 was a motorcycle!!!! I'm not kidding! The next guy told me that no clear lense covers are made for Honda Cruisers and I would have to change the whole housing.... Cruiser Customizing sells them for $13.95 a pair. Now I remember why I hated these jackasses to begin with!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
carolina sabre said:
I have lost faith in a local dealer for the following reasons. I was quoted a price of $160 above another dealer on installing some pipes and rejetting my bike.... 15 or 20 maybe but 160 that's a substantial difference. Keep in mind that these guys are local and are MUCH closer to my house than the other guys. I am in sales so I drop in every once in a while at lunch to kill some time. Yesterday I stopped in again to ask about changing my turn signal covers to clear with Amber Bulbs. The first girl I talked to at the service counter asked me if a Sabre 1100 was a motorcycle!!!! I'm not kidding! The next guy told me that no clear lense covers are made for Honda Cruisers and I would have to change the whole housing.... Cruiser Customizing sells them for $13.95 a pair. Now I remember why I hated these jackasses to begin with!
Dang, that is a big difference - wondering what the final outcome will be at the cheaper place? "Oh BTW your hoosenpheffer valve is defective....but we have one in stock fo $150" ..... :twisted:

As far as the tail lenses and bulbs, a phillips head screw driver and opposable thumbs is all you will need to DIY - free labor and parts that are not marked up 200% are good things...... :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right on, Chuck.

CS, did you mention to them that another shop will do the same work but much cheaper? Did they in fact tell you that it's the exact same work?

Sounds like your mind is already made up, and in a good way too, but it would be interesting to ask them exactly what they do different than the other guys, for that much more money.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Dice and Chuck are correct.
When I told the dealer I bought my bike from that another dealer offered the same bike for $1,000 less he asked me if I'd meet him halfway - and he dropped $500 from the price.
What I had left out was I was offered a bike that was a year older for $1,000 less... ;)

I changed my turn signals to smoked lenses, took all of 15 minutes to do all four.
Just get the correct replacement bulbs - I have 1157a in the front and 1156A in the rear.
I also bought a led brake light - looks good.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Remember not all people in the world are on the Internet so they might no know clear lenses are available. I didnt even know they were available till last month.

Have them explain why it costs $160 more for the same job another dealer would do for $160 less.

Funny how every day almost I learn about new things available for my Spirit that I never thought was available.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
The jet kits are almost always dead on with recommended settings. You can do all that work yourself in a few hours.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am in sales and quote jobs all the time, I know upfront that I am often 10% higher but our quality gets the majority of the jobs at that. I do always tell my customers that if they get a bid thats significantly less than mine I would like to see a copy of the quote I dont even care if they mark the price out. At least in my case if the price is significantly higher the other vendor isnt offering an apples to apples job.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
When I bought my Spirit, they guy who sold it to me could not find the key hole. It took 20 minutes to do the pre-delivery that should have taken 5. I then went back in and asked the sales manager if this was an actual Honda authorized dealer and he said yes. Since then, I have had three conversations with the GM and owner in order to get things done. As Litnn told us, a service manager really has no technical or mechanical knowledge and neither do their counter staff. Escalation is the key if you are not satisfied.

Best of luck.

Paul

·
Registered
42 Posts
carolina sabre said:
Yesterday I stopped in again to ask about changing my turn signal covers to clear with Amber Bulbs. The first girl I talked to at the service counter asked me if a Sabre 1100 was a motorcycle!!!! I'm not kidding! The next guy told me that no clear lense covers are made for Honda Cruisers and I would have to change the whole housing.... Cruiser Customizing sells them for $13.95 a pair. Now I remember why I hated these jackasses to begin with!

I have had similar issues with a local Kawi/Suzuki dealer that I have used for inspections and things like a tire change. You want to just flip out on them but they are local and can be convenient, but at what cost. Good luck with that.

On the other hand, you might want to consider the clear lenses with the chrome coated amber bulbs to avoid that orange pimple look if you don't care for it. I flipped to smoke lenses with the chrome amber but they did not work well together (too dim) and I had to switch to the amber bulbs to break through the smoke tint. I have the chromes hanging in the garage...used for one ride...in 1156 & 1157.

~ShadowRob

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
In my area there are three Honda Dealers all within 30 miles of me and one 3 miles away. Labor rates per hour are; $75, $80, $95! One of those dealers also has a 15% shop fee which is a total rip off.

There is also an Indi dealer and his rates are $55 and IMHO, they do a better job than the dealers. It is owned by a retired top fuel drag bike racer and these guys really know bikes.

When I put Progressive front springs on my bike I had a quote of $350 for the labor alone from one dealer. The Indi dealer did it for $75. The difference was that the manual said to pull the forks off and the Indi dealer knew it could be done without pulling off the forks.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
chornbe said:
The jet kits are almost always dead on with recommended settings. You can do all that work yourself in a few hours.
hey Chornbe what ya smokin! JET KITS? where did that come from?
:)
droy

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hear ya!!
I can't stand Honda of North Hollywood, it is less than 1 mile from my home. I drive about 28 miles to Thousand Oaks Honda because they do better work, have very fair prices and get me in and out quickly without trying to nickel and dime me to death ie: you could stand to add this or that to the service.

I guess you just need to shop around and see who you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't drive any where, I bought a manual with the bike and the only wrench that touches it is mine. I turned 50 grand yesterday and the bike is like new. I do my own tires even, I am not a mechanic but I can read and look at pictures.
Jeff

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CBOLLING said:
Am I correct to assume that you are talking about the one in Heron Circle?
The one and only Palmetto cycle Center!!! You are correct.

·
Registered
365 Posts
jjsagain said:
I don't drive any where, I bought a manual with the bike and the only wrench that touches it is mine. I turned 50 grand yesterday and the bike is like new. I do my own tires even, I am not a mechanic but I can read and look at pictures.
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

What manual are you using?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've had enough nightmare experiences with Honda dealerships that I've learned to completely ignore what they charge (they're all pretty expensive) and stick with the one that doesn't screw up, no matter the cost. I lived in St. Louis for five years and every single dealership in the metropolitan area was completely incompetent. The first place I went charged $225 for a tuneup on my 75 Goldwing. The only thing they did was change the plugs and the oil--never touched the points or rotor, nor did they synchronize the carbs (which was standard at every other shop I'd been to outside St. Louis) and they returned the bike to me with the idle set at 3,000 RPM. Owner apologized and said that sort of thing would never happen again. In a bind, I had to buy a front tire from that shop a few months later (they were the only ones who had the right size on the eve of a big trip). They forgot to tighten some bolts securing the brake assembly to the wheel, resulting in a god-awful scraping sound as I drove off. That was it for them. Up next: "No, you don't really need a thermostat, Hondas always run hot" (true to a point, but after 30,000 miles, I know damn well when my bike's overheating). That lameness came from a shop that charged $200 to check the bike and add a little antifreeze. Took it to another shop, sure enough, it needed a thermostat. Stuck with that shop until they failed to inspect the brake shoes on a tire change, although they said that they did (and they're always supposed to--matter of course). You guessed it: Metal on metal necessitating a new rotor--total bill was something like $700. Complaints to the shop and to Honda accomplished nothing. Having been screwed by every Honda dealership in the St. Louis area, I finally settled on a dealership in Litchfield, more than 50 miles away. They're super, super expensive, but I've had no problems. I live in Illinois now, about 50 miles from that shop, and I still go there. They're by far the most expensive, but the work is done right and on time.

By the by, no such problems when I lived in Phoenix. The dealerships--I used a few--all had competitive rates and I never had the nightmares that were a regular occurrence in St. Louis. I think it has something to do with the number of riders in Arizona. In the Midwest, substandard shops have an easier time staying in business.

Finally, Honda's response to problems at dealerships is appalling. I called twice to complain about two different dealerships, after the brake nearly fell off my wheel (at the shop that previously called a plug change a tuneup) and when I got stuck buying a new rotor. They didn't do jack. To their credit, they were honest and told me they wouldn't do jack, but that's cold comfort.

Sorry for the length of this rant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
strider said:
I've had enough nightmare experiences with Honda dealerships that I've learned to completely ignore what they charge (they're all pretty expensive) and stick with the one that doesn't screw up, no matter the cost. I lived in St. Louis for five years and every single dealership in the metropolitan area was completely incompetent. The first place I went charged $225 for a tuneup on my 75 Goldwing. The only thing they did was change the plugs and the oil--never touched the points or rotor, nor did they synchronize the carbs (which was standard at every other shop I'd been to outside St. Louis) and they returned the bike to me with the idle set at 3,000 RPM. Owner apologized and said that sort of thing would never happen again. In a bind, I had to buy a front tire from that shop a few months later (they were the only ones who had the right size on the eve of a big trip). They forgot to tighten some bolts securing the brake assembly to the wheel, resulting in a god-awful scraping sound as I drove off. That was it for them. Up next: "No, you don't really need a thermostat, Hondas always run hot" (true to a point, but after 30,000 miles, I know damn well when my bike's overheating). That lameness came from a shop that charged $200 to check the bike and add a little antifreeze. Took it to another shop, sure enough, it needed a thermostat. Stuck with that shop until they failed to inspect the brake shoes on a tire change, although they said that they did (and they're always supposed to--matter of course). You guessed it: Metal on metal necessitating a new rotor--total bill was something like $700. Complaints to the shop and to Honda accomplished nothing. Having been screwed by every Honda dealership in the St. Louis area, I finally settled on a dealership in Litchfield, more than 50 miles away. They're super, super expensive, but I've had no problems. I live in Illinois now, about 50 miles from that shop, and I still go there. They're by far the most expensive, but the work is done right and on time.

By the by, no such problems when I lived in Phoenix. The dealerships--I used a few--all had competitive rates and I never had the nightmares that were a regular occurrence in St. Louis. I think it has something to do with the number of riders in Arizona. In the Midwest, substandard shops have an easier time staying in business.

Finally, Honda's response to problems at dealerships is appalling. I called twice to complain about two different dealerships, after the brake nearly fell off my wheel (at the shop that previously called a plug change a tuneup) and when I got stuck buying a new rotor. They didn't do jack. To their credit, they were honest and told me they wouldn't do jack, but that's cold comfort.

Sorry for the length of this rant.
Damn..... I don't feel so bad anymore!!!. I have elected to use Honda of Laurens which is where I bought my bike. They are about 40 miles from my house and worth the ride!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts