Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been dealt with before here but I just have a few question and hoped I could get advice.

This bike was sitting up for about 6 months. It will start and it will idle with choke.

This bike always needs choke to start cold until it will rev up all the way, baby steps with throttle until it revs then turn off choke.

Now it will start, idle with choke but will never catch and will die with throttle or without choke.

I drained gas and put new gas in.

I am not an experienced mechanic but I want to try and fix myself. Gas drained and replaced, Air filter is good and clean.

Any advice on next step to figure out the problem? Thanks

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
This bike was sitting up for about 6 months. It will start and it will idle with choke.

Now it will start, idle with choke but will never catch and will die with throttle or without choke.

Sounds like your pilot jets (idle jets) are clogged and the choke is filling in for the pilots and keeping the engine idling. The 'choke' is really an enricher circuit which adds more fuel to air instead of restricting air to increase the fuel/air mixture. I don't know why the throttle shuts off the engine.

I would drain the fuel bowls to rid any sediment. Then back feed a strong mixture of Berrymans B12, Seafoam etc. into the carb bowl via the drain spout. Let soak. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would happen if the other tube going into the gas tank...vent tube? Is not hooked up?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
It is my belief that the tube is there to direct gasoline overflow safely to the ground. The spout on the tank by itself is enough vent buildup pressure as well as to prevent vacuum lock. Don't quote me though. The tube is multi purpose.

Thanks, Is there a good, and free, tutorial on how to do this? I want to learn.
Swifty them know how to take carburetors apart blind folded. I don't. He linked the video below which I saved.

However, to back fill the carb bowls all that's needed is a large plastic syringe and the proper size tubing. You notice in the video that the jets will be submerged in the B-12, Seafoam, mixture. The drain spout has a slotted screw to open and close the faucet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I was going to try this:

But there was a post under that video that sounds a bit like what you are talking about.

It said:

1. Drain fuel from tank and both carb res outlet drains.

2. Fill both with Hardex carb cleaning fluid thru res outlet drain nozzle 60 ml or more using a clear tube.

3. Close stop screw and let set for a few days.

4. Drain

Is this sound advice?

I can always run seafoam through as well...I figure that couldnt hurt.

Thanks for the help btw.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Both the video's author and the poster state to add Seafoam to the fuel tank and fill the carb bowls via the fuel tank. I personally prefer to back feed the fuel bowls and drain them. Let the seafoam mixture sit for a while. Back feed again and rinse and repeat. This instead of filling the carb bowls via the fuel tank. You get a proportionally stronger dose of Seafoam that way.

Of course don't run the stronger mixture through the carbs by running the engine. The particles that were loosened might be large enough to clog up the jets and that's counter-productive. It's better to drain the last refill.

When the carb bowls are clean enough (judgement call), then you refill the bowls with fuel from the tank. The fuel from the tank should have a lesser ratio of Seafoam. You don't necessarily want the Seafoam to loosen huge clumps of gunk which might happen with too strong a solution.

Btw, B-12 (Berrymans) works just as well as Seafoam for half the price. And it never hurts to add some B-12 every so many tank fulls

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two questions.

Do you think using Hardex carb cleaning fluid through reservoir outlet drain nozzle isn't a good idea?

When you say back feed, could you clarify? Is that putting the seafoam directly into bowls through drain nozzle using a tube?

Sorry for all the questions. Don't want to harm bike.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I haven't worked with that cleaner.

'backfeed' I meant, below. However there's only so many hours in a days, so using the fuel tank to refill the carb bowls might be simpler.

[edit: don't use Seafoam etc full strength in the carb bowls. Might be safe with a carb cleaner, dunno.]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts