Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ACE 750CD, 1998 ACE Tourer
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I changed out the POs jet black oil with cheap Castrol GO! 10w40 last week. Oil felt thin between fingers, but supposed to be temp oil for the winter storage. I ran the bike a little after finally getting a MOSFET R/R in a few days ago (it works great, thanks Old Guy!).

When I let the bike sit overnight, I saw a little oil on the garage floor. I wiped the floor, ran the bike again, and put white cardboard under the bike. Sure enough there was a little oil there again next morning. Say 3-5 drops. I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Seemed about directly below the crankcase oil bolt, but that was clean and dry.

I'll get under the bike again to pinpoint the leak spot better. I saw a lot of posts about a guide O ring thing that affected mostly single pin vt1100s. The drops were directly below where the rad hose meets the engine. But that seemed clean as well. I think I might have that guide O ring leak.

Problem is that all the pdfs or links that those posts had are dead. Can anyone help me out with getting that stuff? Took a while just to figure out the guide o ring was on the inside of the left crank cover. I guess the only way to confirm is to take the darn thing off. If anyone can add to this and what they feel is the best fix I, and future vt1100 owners would appreciate fresh info.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
Double check the source by cleaning and drying it very well.
Throw a small amount of baby powder on the area and run it for a little while.
Look for the beginning of a stain on the powder .
The water pump has an O ring too, that can seep.
The oil pressure sender can seep from the body seam.
Some guys had the grommet for the stater wiring seep.
No use ripping your engine apart and find out it was a different problem later.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks Swifty. I'll clean and dry the whole under area first. Its pretty nice there already. Then Dust baby powder every where in the vicinity I guess. In the mean time, I'll look up where the water pump O Ring and oil pressure sensor is so I can dust and check. Then I'll follow the stator wires back to the grommet.

If it is the guide thing, does anyone still have any of that great info adlowe put out all those years ago?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
I have saved that information to send, if that is the leak.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to ask, how can a water pump o ring leak oil? the leak was definitely pure fresh oil that I just put in.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
The o ring is around the snout of the pump that slide into the crankcase. So it is exposed to oil.
Not the same thing as the water pump seal internally.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,258 Posts
The oil pump seal (an O-ring, as stated) would be my first suspect on a T. A real PITA to replace. Did it the winter before last. Changed the whole water pump because going through all the work again (should the 20 year old pump go bad) was not at all desired.

You can check the seal by lying beside the bike and feeling the back side of the water pump. You'll know right away if it's the problem.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
If you didn't use a new aluminum crush washer on the drain plug, you could very possibly have a drip.

I have re-used them in the past, but I run them across a mill file or sandpaper on a flat surface to clean them up and get a new flat sealing surface. usually works OK.

Reactions: h13man

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The oil pump seal (an O-ring, as stated) would be my first suspect on a T. A real PITA to replace. Did it the winter before last. Changed the whole water pump because going through all the work again (should the 20 year old pump go bad) was not at all desired.

You can check the seal by lying beside the bike and feeling the back side of the water pump. You'll know right away if it's the problem.
Ah damn. It’s a sad thing when you hope for a guide plug leak.

This bike thing is a humbling experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you didn't use a new aluminum crush washer on the drain plug, you could very possibly have a drip.

I have re-used them in the past, but I run them across a mill file or sandpaper on a flat surface to clean them up and get a new flat sealing surface. usually works OK.
This did cross my mind. So I RODE my trusty 750 (in Toronto in late November!) to the Honda dealer and bought three. I did not replace the crush washer. Bad owner.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
School of hard knocks we all have attended.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,258 Posts
This did cross my mind. So I RODE my trusty 750 (in Toronto in late November!) to the Honda dealer and bought three. I did not replace the crush washer. Bad owner.
Generally, I replace the washer every other change. Just flip it over in between. Mostly because I realize that there isn't a new one on the shelf after the oil has been drained and the new filter is installed. Then I put a washer on the order list for the next time I buy parts -- along with another oil filter.

Once had as many as half a dozen new washers in the box of parts. Couldn't find them when there were three left. Not before flipping the old washer over and adding the new oil. Then the suckers came out of hiding.

Now I tape whatever inventory of washers on hand to the top of the oil filter going on next so they can't hide. But that's only because I'm a filter ahead. Doesn't always work out that way. Keeping new washers and new filters balanced should be easier than it is.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Generally, I replace the washer every other change. Just flip it over in between. Mostly because I realize that there isn't a new one on the shelf after the oil has been drained and the new filter is installed. Then I put a washer on the order list for the next time I buy parts -- along with another oil filter.

Once had as many as half a dozen new washers in the box of parts. Couldn't find them when there were three left. Not before flipping the old washer over and adding the new oil. Then the suckers came out of hiding.

Now I tape whatever inventory of washers on hand to the top of the oil filter going on next so they can't hide. But that's only because I'm a filter ahead. Doesn't always work out that way. Keeping new washers and new filters balanced should be easier than it is.
Can't check if this was the problem because I'm out of town visiting my 750, I mean, my parents. But I just found the first three washers I had in "storage" last night. I do recall intentionally NOT flipping the washer because bad brain. I thought it would seat better or something. Does that make it more likely to leak?

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,657 Posts
The aluminium crush washer should be used once and thrown away or replace it with a copper washer and be done with it. Had folk literally brag that they don't use any at all. :unsure: The Valk had this issue when she came home. Somebody smashed the aluminum crush washer so bad it distorted and cracked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts