Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this thread is beating the horse to death but I'll ask the question anyway.

What is everyone running for coolant, I hear people say it needs to be silicate free and some say you must use Honda's brand while others say you can use an aftermarket brand as long as its Silicate free.

So if you Guys and Gals don't mind, what's your take on this issue.

·
Registered
11,525 Posts
Yes, it has to be silicate free and no, you don't have to use Honda brand(which Honda doesn't actually make). Just about any of the long life coolants on the market will work fine.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,253 Posts
I've been using the Honda brand simply because I've had parts orders to place when I've been scheduled to change coolant. Biggest reason? I like the quart jugs that it comes in. Next spring I'll probably go with something else because I've got no parts to order.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yes, it has to be silicate free and no, you don't have to use Honda brand(which Honda doesn't actually make). Just about any of the long life coolants on the market will work fine.
Yeah me with this. Since it the Christmas break I'll be doing some replacements to my fluids, the bike deserves a beer too.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I heard not to mix red and green, or blue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So car antifreeze works just fine, so long as it is silicate and phosphorous free?
This is my first liquid cooled bike ever, so just checking to be sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Due to the engines low amount coolant required, I use Honda brand. I don't have to compare, research, guess, mix amount, worry about some brand/type being $2-3 less per Gal volume. And having over 1/2 Gal left over to store for two years until the next engine Coolant flush/change.
Most people don't ride(1000 of miles) that much anyway to be nickel and dime maintenance. Rider spend more on fast-food in a month than good solid maintenance costs. And don't use stupid tap water.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I use Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant Dex-Cool.
On my bike the green anti freeze was almost invisible in the holding tank, but this is fairly bright orange, I can see it a lot better. It also helps to put a light, shining up, under the bike.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
So car antifreeze works just fine, so long as it is silicate and phosphorous free?
This is my first liquid cooled bike ever, so just checking to be sure. Thanks.
Correct, and you want a 50/50 mix ... not straight antifreeze. As was mentioned earlier, use distilled water if you mix your own 50/50 from concentrate. Don't leave antifreeze out where an animal can get at it. I smells like a good drink to them with a sweet taste and is attractive, but it may kill them, or minimally make you have a very bad day at the vets office. If you do all of that you'll be golden.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I use Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant Dex-Cool.
On my bike the green anti freeze was almost invisible in the holding tank, but this is fairly bright orange, I can see it a lot better. It also helps to put a light, shining up, under the bike.
That's a good point and made me wonder if there's a liquid you could add in (or just buy a brighter coolant) such as food coloring to help see thru the plastic reserve container.

Just thinking aloud :)

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
I do not see why you could not use food coloring jack6251. Black seems to be the color for me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I do not see why you could not use food coloring jack6251. Black seems to be the color for me.
Ah cool. Like a lot of people I have trouble seeing my fluid levels, even with a light shined on the tub of the reserve.

·
Registered
11,525 Posts
The problem with using food dye is that it may stain the white plastic and then you could never see the real coolant level.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,253 Posts
Don't leave antifreeze out where an animal can get at it. I smells like a good drink to them with a sweet taste and is attractive, but it may kill them, or minimally make you have a very bad day at the vets office. If you do all of that you'll be golden.
Good point. Any you spill should be thoroughly washed away -- use too much water rather than wondering if you've used enough. Yes, dogs, cats & rodents will lick the dry spot on concrete. Dilute it like crazy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts