Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda Shadow riders:

Need some help or some helpful advice.
I have a 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre with 40K.
I don't know much about mechanics and until now I have
let the dealership maintain the bike.
About 3 weeks ago I noticed when shifting it was slipping from
3 back to 2nd once in a while.
I dropped it by the dealer and got a call about a week later
saying $400.
A week after that they called and said the fix didn't work so
it has to be the transmission($1500).
A week after that they called and said while inspecting the bike,
they now say the engine has to be rebuilt. New pistons etc.. etc..
and now the bill is $3100. This stunned me because the bike seemed
to be running great!
We had a heated discussion and so far my bike is sitting in
pieces at the dealer.
Looks like they have me by the short hairs because I told
them OK on fixing the transmission but this engine rebuild thing
sounds like bull to me.
Any advice?

Jerry

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't know you or the details of your bike, but I would be suspicious as hell. Ask them for proof the tranny is bad. If they provide it to your satisfaction, and you're still willing to spend the $1500 :shock: to fix it, go ahead. If they can't prove it to you, have them put the bike back together and find someone you can trust. Rebuilding the engine has nothing to do with missed shifts.

What exactly did they do for the 1st $400 you spent?

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you're getting royally screwed.

JMO

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You are getting screwed IMHO.

If the engine had plenty of power and ran smoothly and didn't smoke and didn't use any oil and the only problem was it slipping gears then you are getting screwed. Tell them to fix the transmission for $1500 and not touch the engine. It ran fine when it went in and it better run fine when it comes out.

You may be able to contact Honda directly and complain and ask them to investigate for you.

$3100 is right at the trade in value for the bike ($3300)and retail price is about $4900.

I hope you can get this worked out and get awy from these guys with all your arms and legs.

If it was me, I'd go pick up all the pieces and find a mechanic who could put it all back together. It may not be any cheaper but I wouldn't give these bozo's my money to do it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
thunderglass said:
You may be able to contact Honda directly and complain and ask them to investigate for you.

Do not agree to anything further with the dealer and contact Honda America immediately!!! Tell them in detail everything you have been through. It could be a repeat offense with that dealer! Make sure you have as much information as possible when you call them; VIN #, engine #, frame #, etc.

Sounds very suspicious to me.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Areo_head has it rightSo, as I understand it, they told you that it was the trany and you said fix it. Then they claimed that was not the fix and that it was the engine that needed a rebuild. So, what you do is a bit time consuming but should be fruitful. Have them detail in writing what lead them to believe the tranny was the issue. Then ask the same as to why the engine needs to be rebuilt. Then ask them also to how they could make such an obvious mistake if their mechanics were well trained. I would then tell them to put the bike back together and mention you are sending it for a second opinion ( stipulate that the engine ran perfectly before they took it apart and that you expect it to be so when you get it back). They may try to charge you for the labor but beyond what you authorized is their expense. Insist they do it very quickly. Once you get the docs explaining everything, make sure the have the mechanics name and his license number on it and immediately send them off to Honda and copy the management of the dealership

Also, make sure that your request for this information is IN WRITING. What should happen is that they will see that you are not rolling over based purely on what they say. If they question you, feel free to mention that this must be a fundamental Honda problem and you simply want to talk with Honda about paying to have it fixed. You should see a dramatic turn around in attitude in which case you may be able to continue down the path to getting this fixed with them ( your ultimate aim ). If worse come to absolute worse ( i.e. they say they will charge you to rebuild and present you with a bill for fixing a tranny problem that THEY clearly now say was NEVER the problem) simply mention that you are in over your head and would have to take his to your lawyer. The combo of having to put things in writing, the mention of Honda and the possible ( absolute last resort) lawyer, will at least get you some action, hopefully the right action.

In most states, it will be your word against theirs, so admit nothing that you have not signed for and do not sign anything until you have what you want.

This may be to extreme for you, but being as I don’t like to spend money for absolutely nothing, I would do this in the hope f getting it resolved for a reasonable amount.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Good advice Dragoon. taken step-by-step like that they'll hang themselves if they're crooked, and if they just have a lousy mechanic the job will get pushed up to his supervisor and be done right, just so the management is comfortable that the problem is solved and won't haunt them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Jerry,
I really hate to hear that some stupid dealer is screwing you over. I had a 2001 750 ACE that was doing the same thing. Every now and then I would shift from 2nd to 3rd and it would pop back into 2nd. I ended up adjusting the foot lever a little bit and that solved the problem, still happened a few more times but I think it was more user error than motorcycle problems. I ended up going 55K before selling.

I would follow the advice that the others have suggested. Dealer should not get away with this treatment. I cannot see how rebuilding the engine would help with a shifting problem.

Let us know how it turns out.

--BB

·
Registered
209 Posts
Huge repair bill!

A serious question you have to ask yourself.

Is this machine worth $3100? And you have to be realistic. Would it be feasible to spend $3100 on a motorcycle that is only worth $3100? At that point maybe you need to collect your bike and repair yourself, or sell the parts and cut your losses and use what's left for a down payment on another one. Whatever you do, don't do it hastily. Think about everything six ways from sunday.

I had the same experience with a Chevrolet dealer about 20 years ago.

I can tell you that you must document everything thoroughly! Pictures, expert opinions, every trip to the dealer, every word that was exchanged. I have the feeling you're being played for a sucker based on what you've said. You take a car in for a oil change and leave with a new motor and tranny, when you really didn't notice anything earth shattering wrong when went you went in....you can pretty much be sure you've been had!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You are getting hosed. I'd follow the advice you've already gotten about contacting Honda's Area Service Rep to look into it. If you authorized the $1500 tranny, then you may be stuck with that, but let Honda do their thing first. Then if all else fails, get a lawyer and contact the local prosecutor, sounds like fraud to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
DID YOU AUTHORIZE THE TEAR DOWN OF THE ENGINE

Also, IF you didnt authorize the tear down of your engine, you are not legally obligated to pay for any fixen or rebuilding they did. its the same thing as going into MIDAS FOR BRAke pads and being told that you owe for the brake pads and a new set of shocks they just installed :twisted: . BS!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: DID YOU AUTHORIZE THE TEAR DOWN OF THE ENGINE

skaggs23 said:
Also, IF you didnt authorize the tear down of your engine, you are not legally obligated to pay for any fixen or rebuilding they did. its the same thing as going into MIDAS FOR BRAke pads and being told that you owe for the brake pads and a new set of shocks they just installed :twisted: . BS!
Exactly, you have to authorize any work that is to be performed. If they tear your bike apart without your consent its there asses. I would contact Honda America ASAP, tell them your issues, and document everything because dealerships will screw you 90% of the time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
dealer problem

From what i understand it is a waste of time to make a complaint with Honda, they will not do anything.
Your best bet is with the state licensing board.
Let us know what state you live in. I want to stay away from that dealer.
Jim

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: DID YOU AUTHORIZE THE TEAR DOWN OF THE ENGINE

skaggs23 said:
its the same thing as going into MIDAS FOR BRAke pads and being told that you owe for the brake pads and a new set of shocks they just installed
That reminds me of a story.
Years ago, a friend was working as a mechanic at a K-Mart store in Wichita before he went to prison. They paid him minimum wage plus fifty percent commission on parts. He took me into the area where customers are not allowed and showed me some of the tricks he had learned to rip off customers. The parts they used were low quality, not genuine GM or Ford parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts