Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been shopping around both in stores and on the internet for a week now, and it just hit me. WHY doesn't Honda sell a mid-sized (750-1100) bike dressed for touring - bags, windshield, sissy bar, floorboards, etc.? They must think that everyone wants a Goldwing, or an 1800 or their 1300 touring bike. Sure, you can buy all that stuff separately, but it's a pain and it rarely looks like it truly belongs on the bike in quite the same way as if it had been designed to go with it. That's a big reason that I'm looking at Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki bikes, all mid-sized and fitted for touring. Just a rant...

·
Registered
943 Posts
I saw a pic of the Honda tourer today for the first time......I realized,thats where I am going mostly with my spirit 1100.

theres good and bad,if you build it,its yours, if its off the rack,its someone elses idea

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
wolverine said:
Honestly I'd rather buy my own add ons. You can get exactley what you want and save money in the process.
Your right: But the extras only add-up to 1000.00 to 1500.00 for a backrest, windshield and saddlebags which if bought brand new, is just about right. While this may be expensive for some people, there's probably a market for someone that says 'I'll pay an extra 1k to drive off the lot with the extras'. And you don't have to install the stuff yourself.
Again, a market niche....

·
Registered
4 Posts
How many customers would say "I wish it had the other bags or windshield"? Not long ago Honda sold the Pacific Coast, everybody laughed. In Europe they have the Deauville in 4 colors. link

·
Registered
943 Posts
thought about it, and maybe you're right. The kawasaki 900 vulcanlt is selling like crazy, I rode it, it rides nicer then my spirit 1100.

no where near the vibration when you goose it. The people who have ridden it a distanc esay its nice.

I am not unhappy with my bike, I actually like it more each day, but I can see some of the new yamaha's and kawasaki's eating into hondas line up

·
Registered
113 Posts
My guess is that if Honda thought they could sell enough of them here, they would. I don't think Yamaha sells many of the Silverado models and I heard they may not be offered much longer either. I think most riders longer for a tourer wnat bigger then 650 -1100 cc. Plus, I'd rather buy my own accessories anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I noticed the same thing a couple of years ago when looking for a bike that would fit both myself and my wife. Went to the motorcycle shows and noticed that all other major brands had a tourer that fit us. I do like Hondas and especially my local dealer, so I didn't want to change brands. Talked with my dealer and Honda factory reps at the shows and recieved the same answer from both. Honda will offer what they think will sell, not what customers are asking for! I eventually bought a Valk tourer which is all the bike I could ever ask for and then some.
billp

·
Registered
943 Posts
I can see both sides of this, but my thoughts, and I could be talking out of my backside, but I see a lot more 40 and up guys buying their first bikes, or like me, buying one after a long lay off, and many want all the goodies in a quick shot.

And women are the fastest growing population of new riders, and in general, think practically when purchasing about what is needed ( I.E. windshield and bags )

I think we will see a lot more smaller tourers coming out......not necessarily for long distance, but for 4 to 5 hour trips like from san diego to las vegas.

so the idea that people would want a tour bike in a larger size I believe is incorrect...its the short tour bikes that will be hot

imho

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xj899 said:
THAT'S what I'm talking about. True, most guys want to put their own stuff on, but as a woman, the less I need to fool around with that stuff the better. The Deauville (?) is a nice bike, but the seat is too high, and besides, I like the cruiser style. It certainly can't cost that much more for Honda to offer the same chassis with a fancy paint job and some extra toys now, can it? It's one thing to say that Honda doesn't offer it because it doesn't sell, but quite another to say perhaps it doesn't sell because Honda doesn't offer it here...

·
Registered
399 Posts
You mean a 2007 version of a Shadow touring bike, right? I see the Shadow a.c.e. touring bikes,(starting in '97?) on ebay occasionally, usually with low miles, starting around $5000, with everything your talking about. Why pay full retail anyways, on something you know is losing value the moment you drive out of the parking lot? Considering how well these bikes are put together, find a good low-mileage bike and have money left over.Besides, I've enjoyed the hunt for good deals on all the stuff I've added to my bike, and (bike, leathers and all accessories)I'm still under 6 grand.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The Honda sales guys I know say the 750's are starter or re-entry rider bikes. They are bare bikes with a low price points to get newbies, women, and us older re-entry guys on a bike. They have all said, if you want a tourer, trade up! and yeh, I do like the VTX 1800T, the GW, the BMW R1200RT, K1200LT, the Roadliner, and on and on. I have just about got my 750 Aero set up to tour, just a couple of mods left. If I get a bigger bike, i want to keep the Aero for commuting. Just my $.02.

Bruce

·
Registered
534 Posts
Re: They did for 5 years...........

West Tn Dawg said:
and I love mine! Everyone that I know across the country that has one absolutely loves them!
[/img]
Nice looking bike...looks like a PGR Misson.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dr Bob's Patient said:
The Honda sales guys I know say the 750's are starter or re-entry rider bikes. They are bare bikes with a low price points to get newbies, women, and us older re-entry guys on a bike. They have all said, if you want a tourer, trade up! and yeh, I do like the VTX 1800T, the GW, the BMW R1200RT, K1200LT, the Roadliner, and on and on. I have just about got my 750 Aero set up to tour, just a couple of mods left. If I get a bigger bike, i want to keep the Aero for commuting. Just my $.02.

Bruce
Well then Honda is missing the boat big time. Not all of us can even HANDLE those big bikes, nor could many people even afford them. Last thing I want is to have an 800+ pond Gold Wing fall over on my 5'3" body...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts