Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now the proud owner of a Sabre butnhave some issues bike is a 03 when I picked up from dealership was cold like 35 degrees and bike had a stutter coming off idle figured it was just cold after riding for about a hour it’s still doing it.it has Vance and Hines longs shots with baffles removed and stock air box.bike has been jetted already but not sure if they took the baffles about before jetting or after dealer said the stutter was there because if temperature outside had kind of a random lean pop anyone sure of this weather being a problem or is it possible carbs need synced i ride all year long so trying to figure this out.thanks to all in advance

·
Registered
18 Posts
You might try turning the mixture screws out a little. They’re covered with plugs you’ll need to remove first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll give that a try the plugs are lucky for me already removed so you by chance know how many turns out they need to be I know my 750 likes three but not so sure about the new one

·
Registered
18 Posts
2-1/2 to three is what I usually go with and if it’s over 4 4-1/2 then Jets. The rear jets are larger on Sabres cooling rear cylinder I think. Mine is so far out of stock at this point IDK

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Where you using the choke at all after the engine warmed up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the problem they put a nipple on the intake to run a fake hyper charger I removed it and put a cap on it some how the cap came off creating a vacuum leak was gonna hook my vacuum gauges to check the balance on the carbs when I found it lol thanks for all the help

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not fun at all lol enjoy your Sabre they’re fun bikes. Mines back down to the frame I just can’t stop messing with it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah I think the stock jetting on the Sabre is supposed to be 175 and 180 for the mains - when I had to take my carbs out I found that they had actually been jetted smaller... with open baffle V&H longshots... go figure, but she ran real good before she didn't. If you don't have to take them out, don't. But if you do, you can pull them out the side. I found that easier than out the top like the manual says.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I had the baffles for it they were removed when I bought the bike wouldn’t be bad to have around.i like it loud but I have never liked the idea of hoping the guy before me did it right lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah it is super loud for a Honda, but to me it sounds really good given the engine design. No it will never be as burbully as a Harley, or as deep - but it also won't bleed oil and cash... The nice thing about aftermarket exhausts is that they are for the most part designed to have the baffled removed or installed. The stock ones you have to hack and drill at, which is where you can get into trouble if you don't know or don't care what you're doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the Harley’s but I like my Honda better plus the guys around my area wear skinny jeans and Oakley’s ride Harley’s and act like there better than everyone that’s just my area but the Harley guys haven’t got to good of a rep in my area lol

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Yeah I think the stock jetting on the Sabre is supposed to be 175 and 180 for the mains - when I had to take my carbs out I found that they had actually been jetted smaller... with open baffle V&H longshots...
The issue may be that Dynojet uses a tapered needle design so the jets are sized slightly smaller than the stock Keihin jets. So lets say what you found was a Dynojet 170. It seems smaller than stock bit is actually equivalent to Keihin 190.

G.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I checked, they are all Keihin jets - but it's got aftermarket needles that were shimmed, so who knows. Tuning carbs takes some serious trial and error.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
As I was typing my previous post (#15) I was thinking no one mixes needles and jets right? :eek:
The horror! The horror! (-:

It happens, my bike has Dynojet jet needles and Keihin jets.
At some point I got frustrated with the proprietary sizing of Dynojet mains and the lack of local availability of their stuff except in kits and I got rid of them and converted back to Keihin sizes.
When I need a size that is not in my box I can now find suitable jets at just about any place that sells/services Japanese motorcycles or snowmobiles.
I've been buying EBC jets lately and they seem accurate to the Keihin sizing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts