Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i'm pretty new to this. the thing is that my rear carburetor runs a little strange, it sounds like the bike misses and you feel the back of the exhaust pipes so what leads to the rear carburetor, the exhaust gases come unevenly and the vibrations are uneven. I have also wondered if it might be the case that it might leak some air if someone has had the same problem and can give tips, I'm happy. It dates from 1998 and has traveled just over five thousand miles. so I thought maybe it's time to renovate them, I do not know what the carburetors are called or what the model is so if I could get some help with information and also maybe where to buy renovation kits I would have been grateful.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You may not even need a rebuild kit. Remove and disassemble the carburetors, or only the rear one if the front is fine, and give it a good cleaning... I would recommend doing both, and make sure to take pictures and notes, so you won’t forget how to put them back together!

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,397 Posts
Go here and grab the Service Manual:
Don't separate the two carbs unless you have to.
I usually suggest buying a pair of float bowl gaskets, you won't need them if you have them and other stuff only as it becomes necessary. I use aerosol spray carb cleaner most times, don't get it on any of the rubber stuff.
This is more or less what you are looking at:
Your speedometer isn't on the fuel tank, but everything else will look the same.

Check you carb boots for stiffness or cracks etc. they should be somewhat pliable.

Avoid the cheap "all in one" Chinese rebuild kits as at least a percentage of them are absolute crap and I wouldn't risk doing the job twice.

If you run into problems just yell.

·
Registered
Honda Shadow 750 ACE 1998
18 Posts
Does it shut off if you hammer the throttle? I have the same year and im trying to fix a similar issue, not sure if its the same. Taking just one carb off will be a lot more work i took both off when I cleaned mine. and watch the amazon rebuild kits I bought one and it did not fit even though amazon said it would (keep in mind i have the same year as you). Best of luck and let me know what you find!

·
Registered
1986 VT1100c
153 Posts
Carbs are precision instruments and renovation is the most demanding and most often unsuccessful operation undertaken by home mechanics. Be advised, if you remove them without the will to carry the process through its many steps your bike may never run properly, if at all, again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts