Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New member here! Second season riding with my 750 Ace 2003 - had an amazing first season last year.

Bike was fully inspected by a certified motorcycle mechanics November of 2019 before it was stored. Everything was top condition.

I stored it inside an indoor garage, and removed the battery.

Upon bringing it out to begin this season, I placed the previous battery back in (it was fully charged). Bike would not start... Eventually got it to start off the engine's compression going down a hill on neutral. Brought the bike back home, it would not start the next day.

Over the course of the time I have tried to fix this issue, I have

-Changed all 4 spark plugs for brand new ones
-Bought a brand new Yuaca YTX14-BS battery for my bike, and installed it following owner's manual. The battery was received empty; I filled it with the acid myself, let it soak for a few hours, charged it overnight, and put it in the next day.
-Filled up half the tank with supreme gaz (previously was filled with a mix of supreme and stabilizer for storing).

Afterwards, the bike started fine and I went for a ride.

The next day, the bike would not start. Same issue; I hear the sound of the ignition trying to ignite a spark, but the engine does not roar alive. Other times the engine roars just for a few seconds, and then dies, even if I give it throttle and stay in neutral. It comes back alive after being boosted using booster cables and being hooked up to my car (happens with brand new battery). I ride it for a few hours, the next day, the same problem happens again. I tried playing with the choke on the left side, pulling it further out and back in as some suggested, but no luck.

Now, I know the battery is not the issue because I just replaced it, and I know the spark plugs are brand new.

Do you guys have any ideas of what this might be? Could it be a circuitry issue? Knowing that we are in quarantine and all bike shops are closed, what do you guys recommend I start looking at first? I don't have a multi-meter to record voltage in my possession, but I suppose I could get my hands on one...

Let me know!

Thank you,

Bball

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
818 Posts
I'd check both the fuse(s) and battery cable connections. And get yourself a decent meter or at least a test light.

Reactions: bballshack

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,990 Posts
Did you store it with treated gas? Check your air filter and make sure no little creatures made a home in it for the winter. If it's turning over good but not quite catching you could have a fuel or carb problem.

·
Registered
16,977 Posts
Have you forgotten the "starting technique" for your Bike???
IF I twist the throttle ANY at all mine will NOT fire off...
I only need choke below 60 degrees, BUT It starts well with choke below...
Again, NO Throttle at all...

It MAY be the starting technique is what`s the problem...
Happy Easter Happy Spring, Happy Happy Everything,
Dennis

It took a while for me to figure out the technique, but it does have one...

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Have you forgotten the "starting technique" for your Bike???
...It MAY be the starting technique is what`s the problem...
It took a while for me to figure out the technique, but it does have one...
Ooooohhhhhhhhhh, takes me back to my days of owning a 1972 Triumph. There is a specific sequence of events aka procedure to starting that bike and yes even during the summertime I used the choke on startup. No sneering here. This old stuff......

·
Registered
16,977 Posts
Yeah @tjkoko My 65 Ironhead sporty Definitly has its own "Procedure"/technique too...
One follow through with Full Throttle, then ingnition ON and a "Real" Kick...
One kick though...She Always starts First Kick!
IF I`m on it every day...
I`ll probably hafta pull it down the road now though :D it`s been sitting over a year...

Stay Away from that virus,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Yeah @tjkoko My 65 Ironhead sporty Definitly has its own "Procedure"/technique too...
One follow through ......................
Once that the Tri Spark electronic ignition replaced the points and condenser, starting became a total breeze. Electronique ignitions RULE! YEAH!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all guys! Finally found my issue, a single fried fuse... Starting technique was on point lol, I also have issues with my choke lever sometimes- this was not that.

I guess at least I haven plugs and a new battery in there:sneaky:

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,735 Posts
You addressed one symptom but not the cause. I would try to discover why that fuse went but the erratic starting indicated the fuse is not the only problem ie if that main fuse was blown the engine would not sometimes start via jumper. Did you"boost" using a running car's battery? That's why the fuse may have blown but now you are back to the original issue.

Sound to me like your stator is not charging the battery so look on this forum for stator or 3 wire fix.

Also check your RUN switch for any corrosion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts