Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Honda shadow aero 750, It has about 30k miles.
For the past week there has been a very loud chirping sound that sounds very much like a basic bird chirper.
It starts at about 65 miles per hour. And gets louder as I accelerate after that.
It also happens sometimes when I hit a bump in the road or when I hit 35 mph in 2nd gear.
The sound seems to be coming from the front wheel of the bike. But seeing as fast as it has to go to make the sound my hearing could be off on the location of the sound.

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
489 Posts
I would start to checking if it is a brake issue.
While riding, lightly action the front brake so the pads get close to the disk but not enough to try stopping the bike.
See if this changes anything. If not try actioning the brake a but further and play attention if the sound goes away or changes.
The other part that can make that noise would be a wheel bearing.
Turning left or right would possibly change the sound as the weight in the bearing will change.

Other than that it could be as simple as some foreign object got between the fender and the wheel and it is rubbing somewhere. An thorough inspection should detect any issue.
Look for oil leaks
Check the speedo gear or the cable (if you have one) if it is the culprit.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,210 Posts
On some models guys have had the headlight rim vibrate and cause a high-pitched sound. Put some masking tape on the seam for the rim as a test, and see if it helps.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,166 Posts
Did you remove the front tire before this began happening? The hole on the front axle if not aligned properly can whistle like when you blow across the top of a bottle. This would be more noticeable at higher speeds.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've got a chirp on my 1100 ACE, that seems to be coming from the general area of the transmission. My first thought was the water pump, but it seems too intermittent for this. My suspect is now the thin chromed sheet metal cover behind the ignition keyswitch, because I removed and re-installed it at one point. Seems frequency / rpm related.

I was thinking I might make myself a magnet mount end for my mechanic's stethoscope that I could attach at different locations to try to get a more specific location nailed down. Seems to me that my chirp could be almost anything, from a loose screw on a piece of sheet metal, to a dry bearing breaking down.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,166 Posts
I've got a chirp on my 1100 ACE, that seems to be coming from the general area of the transmission. My first thought was the water pump, but it seems too intermittent for this. My suspect is now the thin chromed sheet metal cover behind the ignition keyswitch, because I removed and re-installed it at one point. Seems frequency / rpm related.

I was thinking I might make myself a magnet mount end for my mechanic's stethoscope that I could attach at different locations to try to get a more specific location nailed down. Seems to me that my chirp could be almost anything, from a loose screw on a piece of sheet metal, to a dry bearing breaking down.
I forgot about the waterpump chirp. It may be worth flushing with distilled water and putting in some new Honda anti-freeze. My waterpump was chirping, aftermarket anti-freeze, even the correct type still chirped. The Honda anti-freeze corrected the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts