Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my Honda dealer and I am in shock.
Bought a used 2001 Sabre because of Honda's reputation for quality
and reliability.
Put 25K on the bike and started having a shifting problem(popping out of
3rd to 2nd). Next thing I know, a $400 balloons into $3100 with a
transmission rebuild and and engine rebuild.
Even payed a mechanic from the Yamaha dealership to come over with
me because I would not be able to tell if they were blowing smoke up my
ass. He agreed with them.
I gather the transmission went bad and while it was doing this it was dropping
metal shavings into the oil pan which circulated into the engine itself.
I guess I could be paranoid and assume that the Yamaha tech was in league
with the Honda guys(friends) but that would be pushing it too much.
Have just never heard of a Honda requiring both an tranny and engine rebuild at 40K miles.
I would expect this from HD not from Honda.
If it was another grand I would have told them to just keep the motorcycle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Engine damage

I must say right up front that I have never had a Honda Shadow motor apart. However, it is my understanding that the motor and transmission do run in a common oil supply. Contaminated oil can ruin an engine very quickly. If the Yamaha mechanic that you got to inspect the engine agreed, after he was out of the presence of the Honda people, that the motor was in need of a rebuild, I'd have to believe him, I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Okay, I'm thinking 40,000 miles and the transmission goes a-muck. The transmission is housed inside the engine, that means a complete tear down is necessary to get to the transmission. Now if my shadow had 40,000 miles on the engine and something happened to its transmission and the engine had to be,
Taken out of the bike,
tore completely down.
Would I want to just replace a couple of gears and some gaskets and O-rings and flush the engine???.
Or would I want the engine overhauled??? Its not really worn out yet??

Here is what I would probably do,

Either trade it in at the dealer who is working on it for another bike,

Look for a low mileage used engine for $800.00 to $1,000.00.

Part the bike out for its good used parts and then just start looking to by another good used bike.
MarkC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Jerry,

MarkC makes a lot of sense here about what HE would do. Some of "us" have been in your shoes too. It's a tough call as to "what/how much" money to put into the bike. But I think the 2 "tech guys" were right about "what" they had to do to fix/repair this bike.

This is one issue with these type of engine/tranny designs. It is the tranny is not separate from the engine as the HD is known for. SO, if one had some shifting problem, clutch problem, etc., the parts/pieces that get worn/broken go floating around not only in the tranny area but the rest of the engine moving parts. :shock: I've know of a few bikes that have gotten to this point (within your mileages stated or less) but these cases are NOT as big a problem as other issues with the Honda or other Japanese manufactured designs.

I'm not defending the bike maker just giving you relative facts as I know them from owning many Hondas in my 35 years of riding.

Bullzeyet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda Shadow Sabre Engine Rebuild Part II

Well I finally said enough is enough. It is pretty obvious to me that the
dealership is taking me for a ride, especially with regard to the engine
rebuild. So I told myself rather than let someone screw me over I will
just take the loss.
So I called the dealer told them to keep the bike!!
Suddenly they were willing to negotiate and last word is they were down
to $2310!
I told them not good enough. Keep the bike and I will just walk!
Waiting for their next call.
I am sure that they do not want to get stuck with this bike.
But the bottom line for me, is I would rather walk away and take the
loss rather then let the dealership screw me over and treat me like this.
Will miss my Sabre terribly though.
Oh by the way, the dealership is "Maxim Honda, in McKinney, Texas.

Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,761 Posts
Re: Honda Shadow Sabre Engine Rebuild Part II

Jerry Alexander said:
Well I finally said enough is enough. It is pretty obvious to me that the
dealership is taking me for a ride, especially with regard to the engine
rebuild. So I told myself rather than let someone screw me over I will
just take the loss.
So I called the dealer told them to keep the bike!!
Suddenly they were willing to negotiate and last word is they were down
to $2310!
I told them not good enough. Keep the bike and I will just walk!
Waiting for their next call.
I am sure that they do not want to get stuck with this bike.
But the bottom line for me, is I would rather walk away and take the
loss rather then let the dealership screw me over and treat me like this.
Will miss my Sabre terribly though.
Oh by the way, the dealership is "Maxim Honda, in McKinney, Texas.

Jerry
Well, first, sorry to hear about the ordeal you are going through.

I'd have to agree with MarkC, though.

Calling the dealer and telling them to keep the bike isn't going to do
anything but cause you to lose money.
The dealership won't be "stuck" with the bike.
You're not inconveniencing the dealer at all...

What they will do is call you and have you let them fix the bike
or they will suggest you come get the bike.
They may call you a couple of times on this...

Then, they will file a mechanics lean or an abandonment lean against
the bike and after a period of time (depends on state law) they
will take legal possession of the bike.
Then, they will sell it "as is", part it out and sell it for parts, or something
to that effect.
They'll make money off the deal and you'll be out your money.

If you aren't going to fix the bike, you should at least get it back
and try to sell it "as is" for someone who needs a parts bike or
sell the individual parts on eBay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Totally agree

Totally agree with you.
I called a friend and he said he would pick up the bike(in pieces)
for me.
Told my friend whatever he got for the bike we would split 50/50 because
for me to fill up my garage with this stuff and sell it piece by piece isn't
worth the agravation
I called the dealership and told them he would come by to pick up the
bike and they said they wanted $1000!
I know that dealerships overcharge for their services but I figured that
dependability, honesty, and quality work were worth the extra money.
Right now I am not getting "any" of that from this dealer.
Would rather take the loss than allow these bozo's to push me around
like this(Maxim Honda of McKinney(.


J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
That is the same dealership that wanted $90 just to replace the tube in a tire that was off the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
You get stuck sometimes, especially when they have the bike apart. This is a good post to remind everyone to make "stopping" points for any shop to call you in order to proceed.

I don't know all the details, but unless you authorized additional work on the 400 dollar estimate to correct the original problem, how could they possibly be wanting a grand now with nothing fixed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Re: Totally agree

Jerry Alexander said:
Totally agree with you.
I called a friend and he said he would pick up the bike(in pieces)
for me.
Told my friend whatever he got for the bike we would split 50/50 because
for me to fill up my garage with this stuff and sell it piece by piece isn't
worth the agravation
I called the dealership and told them he would come by to pick up the
bike and they said they wanted $1000!
I know that dealerships overcharge for their services but I figured that
dependability, honesty, and quality work were worth the extra money.
Right now I am not getting "any" of that from this dealer.
Would rather take the loss than allow these bozo's to push me around
like this(Maxim Honda of McKinney(.
J.
Well, tell then to fix the transmission, forget everything else. I wouldn't give them a 1,000 for a tear down! Hold them to their quote for the transmission repair and tell them you'll take your chances with the rest of the engine. (just to get the bike back). They're thinking if you have to pay a 1,000 to get the bike back that you'll go the extra dollars to get it fixed.
They quoted you a price for a tear down and repair of the transmission, hold them to that!! no more!! your not wanting anything done more than what they quoted you . If they don't like that tell them the next person they will talk to is your lawyer!! OR they could leave it apart and you will pay them 50% of the original quote for their time and trouble, I think that would be more than fair!
MarkC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Re: Totally agree

MarkC said:
Jerry Alexander said:
Totally agree with you.
I called a friend and he said he would pick up the bike(in pieces)
for me.
Told my friend whatever he got for the bike we would split 50/50 because
for me to fill up my garage with this stuff and sell it piece by piece isn't
worth the agravation
I called the dealership and told them he would come by to pick up the
bike and they said they wanted $1000!
I know that dealerships overcharge for their services but I figured that
dependability, honesty, and quality work were worth the extra money.
Right now I am not getting "any" of that from this dealer.
Would rather take the loss than allow these bozo's to push me around
like this(Maxim Honda of McKinney(.
J.
Well, tell then to fix the transmission, forget everything else. I wouldn't give them a 1,000 for a tear down! Hold them to their quote for the transmission repair and tell them you'll take your chances with the rest of the engine. (just to get the bike back). They're thinking if you have to pay a 1,000 to get the bike back that you'll go the extra dollars to get it fixed.
They quoted you a price for a tear down and repair of the transmission, hold them to that!! no more!! your not wanting anything done more than what they quoted you . If they don't like that tell them the next person they will talk to is your lawyer!! OR they could leave it apart and you will pay them 50% of the original quote for their time and trouble, I think that would be more than fair!
MarkC
MarkC,

OR they could leave it apart and you will pay them 50% of the original quote for their time and trouble, I think that would be more than fair!

I say it is a lot more than fair! I know some kids that'd tear engines apart all day long for 1/2 of $1500! Any junk yard helper can tear them apart and throw the parts in a box, as long as they didn't have to put them back together again...that's where things start getting tricky.

John
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top