Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a Swing Arm Pivot Locknut Wrench (Part No. 07908-ME90000). This is for a honda shadow vt500c 1983.

Can I make my own. I need to take the swing arm off to remove my engine so I can get the frame fixed. I guess my other question is can i get the engine out and leave the swing arm on. My final drive is removed up to the universal joint.

I'm frustrated that this is all that is seperating me from finally getting this bike apart and moving towards the rebuild. Everything depends on the diagnosis I get when I take this fram to the welding shop. If all is well then I will begin rebuilding everything that I am able to and reassembling this beast.

Any help is appreciated.

Briandrex

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had to buy one from Honda for my 83 750 when I replaced the frame. It was expensive but well worth the price. I considered making one and am glad I did not....it needed to be pounded with a heavy hammer to loosen the locknut. I believe it cost $69.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Briandrex: you can get the swing arm out without the tool but you need it to re-torque the swing arm pivot bolts. I had to replace an oil seal on the output shaft on my 85 vt700. To get to the seal i had to take out the swing arm. The local Honda dealer said that the number you have (your number is the same as as the one for the 700) was not available. Some guy on the board bought one and it was expensive. Another made one and yet another made the slotted section from a piece of pipe and tightened the lock nut with a pipe wrench. IHO and the Clymer manual it is necessary to properly torque the lock nut. I looked at the draying in the Clymer manual and made my own. I took a piece of flat stock made a hole for the pipe to fit through (about 1 inch, I scribed around the pipe, drilled holes around the scribed line, knoched out the center, cleaned up the hole with a file, had the pipe welded in to it. I also drilled a hole to fit a 1/2 in drive socket and welded it into the flat stock to attach the torque wrench to. The Honda tool just has a 1/2 in square cut in the flat stock. I cut the ears on the pipe with a Dremel tool and a reenforced cut off wheel. You need to measure fron the nut and cut the spaces and depth to match the nut. I will go out to the garge tomorow and get some measurement off it to help you build one. It is cold here in Michigan and it is hanging on my offerings to the God of speed wall.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx vt700c. I'd definitely be interested in building one but will also look around for one. Anyone interested in selling their's to me?

Briandrex

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will call the local Honda dealer here where I bought mine JUST IN CASE. I have my receipt in front of me. I bought mine 08-26-2005 for $62.30. It is part number 07908-ME9000. Stay tuned...I will post my answer tomorrow, 02-23.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve. Also in the meantime. What do I need to get the swing arm off. A 10mm Allen Wrench. Sometimes Clymers is a little confusing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Clymer is OK for this procedure...only it doesnt give the size for the LEFT Side pivot bolt. I think it is a 14mm hex. I bought an external hex socket with a 1/2 inch drive and needed to pound that one out too. I will guess that the way mentioned previously to remove the pivot bolt locknut (the one requiring the special tool) involved using a drift and a hammer. I replaced that nut with a new OEM part because the one that was on my bike was torn up from someone drifting it out. Sorry, I like NICE undamaged parts. 72 - 94 ft-lbs torque for the pivot nut. Some dumbass (me) said 100psi in an earlier post.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I called my local Honda Dealer and they confirmed that the part 07908-ME90000 swing arm lock nut wrench is STILL available. 561-296-9696. Someone, either your dealer or mine, is wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
servicehonda.com claims to have it for $40 (but you'd want to check 'cause they don't seem to update their lists when parts get discontinued)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I'm going to order the tool and proceed from there. A little waiting won't hurt anything. I will be sure to let you guys see before and after pictures when this project is finished.

Should be fun. Hopefully it will warm up soon so I can ride a little to take breaks from this rebuild.

Thanks again....

Brian

·
Registered
56 Posts
Keep us informed. I have to pull the swingarm on my 93 1100 to change out the coolant tank. Thinking of making a socket or just bite the bullet and order the tool. What's the chance of a loaner program? Not sure how that would work, just an idea................

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if it's the same tool I'm going to get I would be willing to loan it out. I would just expect shipping and handling, that's all......

I'll let you know how it goes and when I'm finished consider the loaner program started. We should start our own forum for some of these weird tools that are only used once and then gather dust.

It would be good for the motorcycle community in general to have a place to turn for tools and ask the people they're getting them from for tips and techniques....just a thought.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Briandex, that would be great.............

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately not yet. Went and placed the order with servicehonda.com about a week and a half ago. I received an email saying that do not carry it even though it let me check out with the tool. I wasn't charged but I wasted time.

I think I'm going to call me dealer this week unless someone has a better idea.

Brian

·
Registered
56 Posts
I see. Well that sucks......... Perhaps I will check with my dealer also. Let me know what happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK, the lastest update.........
Just came from my dealer. The #07908-ME9000 is no good. It is now wrench lock nut
#07908-4690001. Parts guy said it was still avalable. Price for this wonderus gold plated wrench is 67.15 w/tax. Seems like a lot of cash for a one time use..............

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
pushpin, thanks for the leg work on that. looks like servicehonda.com has it for $55 (probably plus shipping).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Right on. I will probably buy it from them. I'll keep looking for the best price.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Pushpin. I will order mine too online. That special tool has been the only thing holding up my bebuild and with so many projects coming in at work I've barely had time to breath. One day I will get the swing arm off and the frame off to repair.

Thanks again!!!

Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts