Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.. i have honda steed 600 which is the same honda shadow 600.. 92 dual carbs.. stock air filter, hall sawed stock exhaust , driving see level and in 30-40 selizius temp (68 -104 F) .. bike sat for two years.. got it from a stranger with unknown history except for it was not running well before storing it.. rebuild everything and cleaned the carbs so good.. i noticed that main jets were 98 and pilot jet were 35 which i believe they are for honda steed 400.. the bike is confirmed 600 cc.. its engraved on the engine between cooling fins.. so i went to 115 mains and 40 pilot and no changes for needle position so far.. diaphragm looked really good and no signs of tear and wear ..float level adjusted to 7 mm.. mix screws were at 2.5 and set the back to 1.75 turns

the bike idles great and smooth with no smoke or any thing wrong.. bike will take off great to a speed around 30-50 kph (18-31 mph) then it will act like running out of gas, then when this happens i shift to 2nd gear and will do the same, take off great then again act like no more gas.. doing that in all gears..never get to WOT

checked fuel pump and fuel flow and all seems normal fuel flow.. i am guessing i need to adjust the needle valve to let more fuel in mid range throttle.. any advices before i adjust the needle??
TIA

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,752 Posts
Here is a 2 minute video about the carbs.
You may be right about the needle.
What color are the spark plugs?

Reactions: steed2death

·
Registered
392 Posts
the bike idles great and smooth with no smoke or any thing wrong.. bike will take off great to a speed around 30-50 kph (18-31 mph) then it will act like running out of gas, then when this happens i shift to 2nd gear and will do the same, take off great then again act like no more gas.. doing that in all gears..never get to WOT
Man, you guys with that screw. No wonder they plugged it up. Bike starts right up. Idles right off, then all circuits are cleaned. Man, you guys with the float tangs. FFS, those only go out due to tang bending by the 'had to do its'.

So it boils down to, too low a fuel in the bowl? Then match draining each bowl of gas and see if it measures equal. For sure it's not a dirty carb.

Next is fuel demand at the fuel pump. This is where I'd directly feed the carbs right from the tank, that puts the fuel pump out of the loop as far as fuel delivery.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replies.. i guess i knew where my mistake is.. apparently honda steed vlx 600 and honda shadow vlx 600 are jetted different even though they are the same bike.. i couldnt find a user manual for honda steed 600 to know what are the stock jets.. so i used shadow 600 user manual jet sizes which are 115/40. .. i have asked a question in facebook in honda steed page.. and a thai guy has the user manual for steed 600 and he confirmed its 95 main and 38 jet.. no wonder my bike was not responding at 1/4 to WOT .. it was way too ritch.. tomorrow i will fix the right jet sizes and keep u updated guys.. thanks again

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,458 Posts
While the VT600 versions are mostly physically the same, there are variants for some markets with differing levels of power.
Usually these are based local laws and rider licensing requirements, some countries have multiple versions for different licensing levels.
The main differences are commonly restricted inlet boots and jetting and sometimes in extreme cases different camshaft profiles.
You can get some idea of the differences here: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vt600_model329/

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,752 Posts
Here was something I learned a few years ago by someone on here showing different carb manifold boots with different sized openings.
Some countries have restricted the engines for various reasons, and maybe that is the difference here.
Not sure what will happen if caught with a "modified intake" in those countries.
Check that out.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts