Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty guys and gals.
I need some help on my heaping pile of honda awesome c***.
I posted about this bike about a year ago?!
What i really need to know is how do i do the timing on
my 1986 vt1100c honda shadow.
i believe i got the carbs all synced up and everything and after all
that jazz i got the old girl idling fine and smooth.
now the real problem is while im riding she looses power around 3500rpm
in ALL gears. she will start back firing lightly (what i mean by that is that
it doesn't sound as loud as a normal sounding backfire) and wont speed
up past like 55-60. if and or when i can ever get a video or audio file for you guys i will post it up. I want to make sure i am hitting every point that could possibly fix the situation.

so any help from you guys would be grateful. Also i do not have the interwebs at my house so i have to hit public spots, so i wont be able to check back everyday. I will get back as soon as possible.

· Registered
565 Posts
check the 4 degree timing mod post will show you how to check that part and ensure the teeth are lined up, if they arent you can have the issue that you described or something else...3500 rpms is at what trottle position for you?

· Registered
5,282 Posts
If it won't accelerate past 1/4 throttle or so, then you need to check your vacuum slides and diaphragms. Specifically remove the diaphrams and hold them up to a strong light and look for holes (lightly stretch the rubber while doing so). They could also be pinched after having not been installed correctly.

· Registered
122 Posts
Could be timeing chain stretch or tensioners. Could be one cylinder or both. Will run okay at low rpms to a point then popping/backfiring starts as rpm increases. Any other strange noises? Could be fuel metering in the carbs? Could be vacuum leak? First thing to do is read the spark plugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.