Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does everyone hate the new 1300's? Is it just the geometry?...cause I think they're pretty cool looking even though they aren't the good old standard formula. Is there something I don't know? Like, that they just suck in some way?

· Registered
2,912 Posts
I don't care for the looks at all. To my eye it comes across as a mass produced bike trying too hard to look like a custom creation. The old 1300 line it replaced was such a well done design both visually and performance wise that it is a hard act to follow.

Of course, that's just my opinion and it's purely subjective on my part.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
The front end on those bikes is way too stretched out for the design (IMO), and that heavily spoked mag-wheel up front makes the front end look heavy and the design unbalanced (to me)..

They fit me nicely tho'.. Nearly brought one when I went shopping for my Shadow (the interstate).. But, if my next bike is going to be a long-term keeper.. I think there are better overall bikes out there for me..

If you are looking at 1300 class bikes.. The Yamaha Vstar 1300's are a better overall bike, I think.

· Registered
228 Posts
? The geometry ? For me I guess you could say so. When I moved up I wanted to stay with the lines of the Shadow Spirit which Honda did not have. Hence, in my pic, the Star 1300 Stryker. Similar lines and the rider comfort/position that I desire. I've heard a lot of good about the VStar's also.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
I like them, they look clean.
However I wish they would still produce them in the US and have kept the VT1100 type engine format (adding FI of course) where there is very little maintenance, ie no valve inspections for those that do long hauls all the time. We got rid of points, carbs (more for emissions), this is 2014 and still have non-self adjusting valves... unacceptable.

· Registered
10,153 Posts
I don't care for the looks at all. To my eye it comes across as a mass produced bike trying too hard to look like a custom creation. The old 1300 line it replaced was such a well done design both visually and performance wise that it is a hard act to follow.

Of course, that's just my opinion and it's purely subjective on my part.
^^^^^THIS

Honda is trying too hard to get away from the reason people bought their cruisers in the first place.

They looked like 'Classic American Cruisers" at a time when many could not get (or afford at the time) a real classic American cruiser

Yamaha still adheres to the Classic Cruiser design although it is not a bargain brand anymore.

Honda is "modernizing' their cruiser look to their own destruction....As Polaris has already delivered that alternative in an American flag waving package.

So if you want a reliable Japanese Classic looking Cruiser Yamaha has the most to choose from in spades and in every size and engine type.

If you want the reliable American alternative in a modern Cruiser performance package. Polaris has that market.

Honda is concentrating more on alternative bikes altogether with their CTX, and Valk line.

· Registered
955 Posts
Why does everyone hate the new 1300's? Is it just the geometry?...cause I think they're pretty cool looking
I don't care for the Fury(chopper style). In this case, it is the geometry. I don't care for big open air area between the motor and the neck.

The Interstate (bagger style) is ...okay I guess...

The Stateline starts to get better for me...

and then there is the Sabre...I really like the RED ones.
I like the long sleek tank and raked back handle bars.
The rear fender doesn't quite work for me, but it is not horrible.
Corbin makes an aftermarket seat that I think looks pretty good.

maybe one day!

· Registered
199 Posts
Owned an Interstate for 2 years and got a lot of compliments. I liked the looks and thought it was a nice bike but moved on to the F6B for touring.

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, see... ^^^ THAT looks sweet. And, like Mark-B, I sat on one and liked how it fit me.
Now, I like my VStar more, the more I ride it, but really...I don't think I'd mind riding one of these one bit.

· Registered
409 Posts
I don't mind them (Dawadd's ride is sweet), but they're obviously trying to tap into the "custom chopper" look without really being custom at all. Add the fact that their motors don't perform as well as the original VTX1300 motor.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
4,833 Posts
While I'm not too crazy about some of the new trends in motorcycle design I am pleased to see that manufacturers are at least trying new things instead of mindlessly aping Harley's ancient model ad nauseam.

One thing I do not like, however, is the tendency to larger and larger bikes, both in displacement and overall size. IMHO there is no need for it. I have owned a number of large bikes -- Goldwing 1500, Harley Electra Glide and my current Vulcan 1600 among them -- but there is no doubt in my mind that the best touring platform I have ever had and without question my first choice for a long trip is the 650cc Wee-Strom.

If it had shaft drive it would be MORE perfect but oh, well......

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts

· Registered
4,833 Posts
On a side note... You like?
Yes, I like. This class of motorcycle -- usually called "adventure tourer" -- is the Swiss Army Knife of bikes. Like my bike and its bigger brother the 1000cc V-Strom they fill every niche except really serious off-roading. You can set off on a trip to Alaska or Baja with complete confidence you will not meet road conditions or exigencies you can't easily handle.

There are some others in the class like the BMW R1200GS and Yamaha Super Tenere but they are bigger and heavier without really adding anything else to the package. I had an 1150GS for a while, and before that a Kaw KLR650. I felt like Goldilocks -- the GS was bigger and heavier than I wanted or needed, the KLR was vastly underpowered and kind of scary on the highway, but when I found the Wee-Strom I had hit the happy medium.

· Registered
11,729 Posts
I don't mind them (Dawadd's ride is sweet), but they're obviously trying to tap into the "custom chopper" look without really being custom at all. Add the fact that their motors don't perform as well as the original VTX1300 motor.

Don't know where you got the idea that the new 1300's don't perform as good as the VTX1300 but I've been on old and new and the new one is better then the old. Smoother power delivery because of the fuel injection and exactly the same horsepower and a touch more torque then the VTX.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Yes, I like. ...
Me too.. If I am lucky enough, I aim to have at a least a couple of bikes.. One to lazily kick back on and another - like you say - a Swiss Army Scoot that I can take off onto the control roads..

The Triumph Tiger looks pretty good too..

This New Kawi Just hit the stores here in AZ, Gonna have to go-give it a try ;)

· Registered
409 Posts
Don't know where you got the idea that the new 1300's don't perform as good as the VTX1300 but I've been on old and new and the new one is better then the old. Smoother power delivery because of the fuel injection and exactly the same horsepower and a touch more torque then the VTX.

When I was at a dealership to check out the F6B I asked about the new 1300's just out of curiosity and the salesman (who was very honest and knowledgeable) said that I'd be disappointed coming from my 1300, and that he rode both and thought the old 1300 had more power to it.

· Registered
712 Posts
It's not just Honda!

Went and checked all the big ones' websites, and there isn't much out there that pulls me into showrooms like Honda's Aero did when it came out. I drooled over having one when they were new, and now I have one of my own. :D

It would take something quite special in the styling dept to pull me from the seat of my '98 Aero. Perhaps something like this:

I know that Polaris is producing the Indian again, and the Chief Classic looks pretty good to me. In my opinion, the rest of the group has handed over the market of those not wanting to look like they're riding a Batman wannabe bike to Indian or the American Standard- Harley. My .02......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.