Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Sabre 1100 with 23000 miles: Bike runs great: I noticed the other day while riding in the really hot weather that my voltage went down a little at a stoplight. Once I began riding the voltage went back up to what I am use to seeing. The voltmeter was still in the green. Does hot weather bring the voltage down? Thank you. John

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Heat in general can reduce voltage and power output and transmission. Hot wheater reduces the cooling affectivness of the bikes cooling systems.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
In the hot weather your fan may be running in traffic also, using extra power.

The heat can also cause your voltage regulator to drift by up to a few tenths of a volt. Just enough for you to notice on a gauge!

--Justin

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have a voltmeter in my truck and I've noticed the system voltage dropping when it is really hot out. Today it was running @ only 13.4 V whereas at moderate temps it runs @ 13.8 to 13.9. On a cold winter morning I've seen it as high as 15.3 V. I would've expected the engineers to have better temp compensation in the regulator cct.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you also Justin and Sasquatch. I was beginning to wonder if I was getting a warning sign on my RR or stator. My battery is pretty new.
John

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Pastor,
Yes, you are getting a warning from your charging system when it's hot. More specifically, the stock voltage regulator, which runs to hot to begin with (too hot to touch most of the time) And when it gets hotter out, it can't cool down enough. It will go out eventually if you add any accessories the need power, believe me.
Do the upgrade before you need to and you'll be glad you did...like alot of us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts