Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 750 ace and an 1100 aero
Live in good ol Fort Worth Texas.
Now around these parts in winter about 10- 15 F Is about as cold as it gets. I try to ride to work every morning! There is certain things than do hold me back every now and then; if its below 40 and there is any precipitation It could be ice or frost, hevy winds or just completely unbearable conditions.

Just out of curiosity
Were are you
What do ride
Whats your limit
And when do you put the bike away?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
324 Posts
I ride year around in Tucson AZ. I have good cold weather gear and as long as there is no rain or high winds I'll ride down to 30. I ride 17 miles one way to work. cold mornings but the day warms up. tomorrow 68 and I'm off work so hello long ride to somewhere.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Oh and I ride a 1995 VT 1100 Spirit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The weather in New England can be good now and lousy later. This morning was about 40 but it snowed throughout the afternoon, making riding difficult to say the least. I've got my 04 Sabre garaged for a few months rest. If opportunity strikes, I'll take her out for a ride on a sunny but cool day. 40 is about as cold as I go.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
michigan if the road has no ice and is not covered in snow or if fresh salt has not been dropped im riding. coldest ride so far was 17*F with a real feel of 3*F. rain dont stop me. ill leave in the rain, ride in to it, whatever, only put my bike away for the reasons listed riding my 07 aero 750 bagger. ;)

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
35°F and up are ok with me but below 45° it really starts to suck for me. Depends on wind / cloud cover when it gets around 45° and down.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm in Lubbock (only a million hours ride from DFW) and I'm year rounding it... But that's only because I'm stupid. But thank God I am because a nice day of riding makes up for all the crap.

If the road has ice I'll take the bus or bum a ride (learned that lesson the hard way last week), but the temperature doesn't bother me that much on my 5 mile commute. Fingers and neck get cold but I can always stop off in a store if need be. So far the binding constraint has been my engine; it's gotten cold enough it wouldn't start but not cold enough I wouldn't ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I'm in Ohio and I ride year round as long as there is no ice, snow or fresh salt down. I have yet to find my limit on how cold I'll ride in.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I live in The Netherlands. Bike will get its winterrest as soon as I hear the magic word salt spraying. I have ridden with temps of minus 12. Clean dry frost. Today it is freezing, much moist in the air. So they are allready spreading the salt on bridges and some local roads. Riding will be done for the year and winter. Don't need them to salt the bike.
Need me to build a bigger shed so I can stall the bikes and work on them.
Planning to get the 1100 repainted, so need to get it apart.
The 750 also needs to be rebuild.
Longing for spring allready.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I live in Pennsylvania and ride a 750 Spirit with no shield or fairings. I'll ride down to 35 degrees if the weather report is good (no rain, snow, or high winds) and if the roads don't have a coating of salt. Because I keep my ride in a shed on the back of the house, snow on the ground keeps her locked up because I have to ride through a lot of yard before I can get to the street.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I ride year round, just not as often in the colder months,,if the uncomfortable level exceeds the pleasure level, I take the truck. I've ridden in the low 30's but not any longer.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
I live in Antarctica and ride year round in a t-shirt and jeans in sub-zero.

Sorry, I was trying to one-up everybody since I haven't ridden enough to know. But my goal is to at least try just about every weather condition. In my first 3 weeks I've had temps from 70's to mid 20s. So far, so good. Just grabbed some rain gear so now the rain won't keep me down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm on Long Island and try to ride every day to work. I have a VT1100 with a National Cycles shield. As long as it is not snowing or ice on the road, I'll ride. I don't like hard cold rain either. I only have a 20 minute ride to work and when the weather is really cold I'll take the secondary roads instead of the parkway. I'll ride as long as my bike will start. Sometimes when its in the 20's my bike gets cranky and won't start. Thats when I take the truck. So i guess I would ride when it's colder but my bike doesn't like it. I thought about a block heater to make those cold starts easier.
Has anyone else ever tried a block heater on their bike?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I ride year round, just not as often in the colder months,,if the uncomfortable level exceeds the pleasure level, I take the truck. I've ridden in the low 30's but not any longer.
This...The uncomfortable level starts getting pretty high for me at 50.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Piedmont North Carolina - 03 750 spirit - I ride to work every dry day of the year regardless of temperature (today 24F)...so far the coldest has been 19F with wind chill 10F back in early 2013. I dont ride for riding sakes in this weather so the bike usually is parked on Sat & Sun unless the temps are going to get up in the high 40's i might go for a "sport ride" on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
Going out on a 3 hour ride before sunrise in the morning at predicted 35 degrees clear skies...
Just ain`t cold enough long enough here, to winterize the bike into hibernation...
** See signature for other trequired info and links...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Interesting thread, one that I have thought about. Glad it got started. I am in Cincinnati and just starte back riding in August. Cold and snowy here now but before this current weather, I was out in 30F with sunshine. cold, but still able to ride. I think that is my threshold. I have it good as far as storage--I can fit the bike in the garage with both cars and at my business, I can park inside if needed and can drive home a company vehicle if the weather gets ugly during the day, and it's only 6 miles. I haven't ridden for two weeks though and have been wondering if I should drain the float bowls. Any comments on that? Oh yeah, it's an 89 VT1100C.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm a SR-RC with the PGR in SW Indiana so on missions I've ridden 200 miles or so in temps starting in the teens and hitting maybe 26F. As long as it is dry, cold isn't a no go issue. Wind and rain really isn't a factor for me on road trips but given my druthers I won't go for a ride in the rain if there isn't a reason. I also try to avoid riding when severe storms are predicted. I was caught by a super cell once, no fun at all. I'll also avoid riding when the heat index is at 100F or above.

I'm presently riding a HD EG Ultra.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts