Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temperatures here are routinely -35C and apparently it's not cold yet. Come end Jan/Feb I can expect -50C. My garage is semi-insulated so my bike and boat will get down to say -15/-20C or more. I currently have my bike connected to a bat tender and my boat deep cycles on an onboard charger and my starter bat on a bat tender jr. How cold is too cold to leave these out there even on a tender?

Dingo.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
It would have to get pretty damn cold to freeze a fully charged battery. I Googled it and found the freezing temperature of a fully charged battery is -92*F.

If you're talking maybe -10*F in your garage I don't think there will be any problem. I had the Rebel plugged into a tender last winter and we had a few nights at -10*F and colder and I had no problem with the battery freezing.

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Temperatures here are routinely -35C and apparently it's not cold yet. Come end Jan/Feb I can expect -50C. My garage is semi-insulated so my bike and boat will get down to say -15/-20C or more. I currently have my bike connected to a bat tender and my boat deep cycles on an onboard charger and my starter bat on a bat tender jr. How cold is too cold to leave these out there even on a tender?

Dingo.
Dingo, Old Buddy... What can you do, say, or cook for somebody up-there, which would be just bad enough to get you deported to Arizona?

The weather is much more congenial to us riders.. True, we have been going through a cold snap for the last couple of days.. but.. :neutral: .. -35C !!! :shock: .. -50C .. That's just to damn cold! :sad:

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Being outside the United States and Canada, I can tell you that the weather from Auckland up in New Zealand up north, the weather is warm enough almost every day of the year..it just rains too much.. Florida sounds quite nice.. but the idea of living in a country where the temperatures drop to -40c and summer only lasts for 35 minutes of one day in July sounds too barbaric to leave a helpless Japanese visitor outside all night.

John.

·
Registered
740 Posts
What do you do about grip in such low temperatures?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
At -35 to -50 the only thing you can do is drape yourself over the bike and keep that battery alive with your own body warmth. It's a sacrifice that has to be made.

You are a tougher man than I. Those temps would have me heading southbound.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...the idea of living in a country where the temperatures drop to -40c and summer only lasts for 35 minutes of one day in July sounds too barbaric to leave a helpless Japanese visitor outside all night.

John.
Yes, but apparently she came here to commit suicide. The other ones pay thousands to come and shag under the Northern Lights (not kidding, supposed to be good luck, thousands come here from all over Asia and camp out on the ice).

Dingo.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts

Dingo.
You'll be fine in a shelter, but in open air I'd suggest wrapping the battery in old towels or jackets or something similar. If you're starting to get worried about it, you can do this in your garage. It will retain a surprising amount of heat that is generated by the battery charging. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Why are you worried about the battery? Do you do anything special for your cars battery? I lived in Maine for 56 years and never had a battery freeze. Keeping it charged it just isnt going to happen.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Why are you worried about the battery? Do you do anything special for your cars battery? I lived in Maine for 56 years and never had a battery freeze. Keeping it charged it just isnt going to happen.
I suspect he worries because the temps he mentioned are much lower than what you saw in Maine,, do a mapquest of Yellowknife NWT CA. His car/trucks might see some use, but I'll wager the bike won't be out and about for a while.

Average Min Temperature °C ( °F) Jan-32 (-26) Feb -29 (-21) March -25 (-12) April -12 (10) May 0 (32) June 8 (47) July 12 (54) August 10 (50) 3 (38) Sept -4 (24) Oct -19 (-2) Nov -28 (-19) Dec -10 (15)

Read more: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories Climate Yellowknife, Northwest Territories Temperature - Yellowknife.Climatemps.com

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
@ 59degrees F, outside, I just put another log on the fire inside ;)

Being a native Floridian transplanted to swGA, I cannot fathom ANY MINUS degrees!!!!

Move SOUTH!!!! Quickly!

:D

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My trucks have a battery blanket, block heater and oil pan heater and get driven every day. I leave the battery blanket plugged in whenever I am parked and the other two heaters on a timer set to go off two hours before I leave for work (depending on shift) and an hour in the middle of the night. The bike and boat sit in the garage :(

Dingo

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
As I posted before, anything colder than -92*F is too cold for a fully charged battery.

IMO if it were -92*F there would be more things to worry about than a motorcycle battery.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
I hate winter !!! :(

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I hate cold and that is beyond cold. Even in northern Wisconsin visiting family it has gotten that cold but that was wind chill so I think - 40 or so was the coldest I've been in. Even in Milwaukee if my bike wasn't in a semi heated place I would take the battery out and bring it in the basement and up off the cold floor and trickle charge it once a month and I was good. It may not freeze but it could shorten the life if not kept on the tender and then I'm not sure. I always erer on the safe side. One thing a smart old mechanic told me once was that objects don't know wind chill, only people and animals, just a little extra!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I think gasoline freezes at -40c. Might be hard to get the bike started with frozen petrol. You're a tougher man that I. I whine when it gets to +20F.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I don't screw around and bring my cycle and deep cycle batteries into the house and to the basement. They're stored on the lower shelf of the workbench on trickle chargers during the MN winter.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why not place a couple of heat lamps in the garage.
Hydro or electricity up here is ridiculously expensive, my bill last month was $600.00. I have an oil furnace for heat, that costs me $650 every 3 months.

Dingo.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts