Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It amazes me how comfortable most of you are modifying and working on your own bikes. I wonder how many of you are from mechanical backgrounds and how many were just like me who learned on the fly?

Inspired by the enthusiasm of this forum I embarked on my first modification the "hole saw mod" on my 2009 750c2. I felt that I had a grasp of the project requirements (Saw then adjust A/F screws). The cutting was easy and after several rides it was apparent that my bike was running lean. What i didn't know is that my model has a single carb and the mixture screw is not as easily accessible. Additionally the "D" screw head requires a customized tool or modified 20 cal casing, neither of which I own.

This weekend I attempted to adjust the screw by hand but could not reach it with any tool in my garage. I tried to remove the Air box but no luck there as i think the tank must be removed first.

I'm hoping a couple members of the forum can help clarify some questions. I've researched extensively on this forum and other VTX and Shadow communities.

1) Is it possible to remove the Airbox without removing the Tank (2009 Shadow Spirit 750c2)

2) Is the a/f screw the same as the one used in the VTX1300 or 1800? If so I think this tool would work for me...

Air Fuel Adjusting Tool

3) As any had success adjusting their single carb a/f screw by any other means than the d-screw specific tool or .20 casing? If so, did you have to remove the airbox (and tank).

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Can't answer your question as I have a different bike but yes I do all my own work whenever possible. Been turning wrenches since I was 15.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes
Yes
No

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Oh yeah forgot if you get that tool you can go in from the left side without removing the air box

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tim, Thanks. It seems like a handy tool but I wasn't sure if the A/F D-shaped screw was universal across the 750c2, 1300, and VLX.

I think its worth a try picking one up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Old Dad, Did you use a Tach to tune the Idle speed and A/F mixture? Or did you do it by ear. Any tips other than seat the screw fully, count turns. Open to factory setting + 1 turn. Ride / test results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.