Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to pull the plugs on my 07Spirit750DC. Can't find anything plug socket to fit. Any tips? Know what size? It seems that the walls of the sockets are all too thick to actually fit over the spark plug.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Buddy I hear you!!
It blows having all your tools at home and nothing fits.

I bought my bike used with no tool kit, so I had to go looking for that special tool.
I manage to find one from a motorcycle shop, the guy fixed old bikes and had a bunch...he just gave me one.

try the one in the tool kit

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
I know your pain, I searched and finally found a 18mm plug socket, and it still did not work, I too bought two used bikes, one for both of us and niether had tool kits! Thank goodness for loaners! I think Honda sells the kits fairly reasonable.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Do yourself and the forum a favor and buy the Honda sparkplug wrench. It looks like this....

That's about the only wrench that clears the front-right [correction] FRONT-LEFT port in my Shadow 600. You don't necessarily want to strip the threads and the number of times you'll be changing sparkplugs makes it worth the $19.95. The wrench itself is stamped metal but it more than suffices as many buyers will attest. I'll send you a PM (check your inbox) for the Ebay page where you might purchase it. This is not a recommendation for the particular seller, nor the only place you are able to buy the same OEM sparkplug wrench. Since Ebay is a commercial website, I'm not sure this forum allows a public posting.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
The stock tool kit is usually available thru most OEM parts suppliers. My bike didn't come with the tool kit from the factory. You also can find a thin walled 18 mm socket readily available in 12 pt. at Sears from others have posted in the past. You don't need to take the fake fins off.

·
Registered
515 Posts
An 18mm 12 point worked for my VT1100. I now keep it in my saddle bags. No stock toolkit came with my bike.

I need to remedy that, and get me a tool pouch too. Just don't know where I want to put it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
my used bike came with a partial tool kit. I don't understand why people remove the items that come with the bike. Anyway, I bought an O.E.M. tool kit, complete, from Cheap CycleParts.com and keep it in the allotted location under the side cover. The kit includes the spark plug socket. I think I paid $45 for the whole kit.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
my used bike came with a partial tool kit. I don't understand why people remove the items that come with the bike.
Don't be overly hasty. Bought my bike brand new, and the OEM tool kit wasn't there, in that line of custody. I actually did find a vinyl tool pouch behind the side cover but with only the two-piece screwdriver in it. At the time, I wasn't aware that a full tool kit was suppose to be there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Got it taken care of. Had to buy the tool from the Honda shop, but it won't be a problem anymore!:D

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Start a new thread otherwise this will confuse everyone, meantime shine a flashlight down the hole to see the damage, maybe take a few pictures.
you may have to remove the plug and look at the thread..

John.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yesterday I picked up a K&N air filter and set of NGK Iridium IX plugs(DPR7EIX-9).

I got my bike used and don't have an owners manual or shop manual. My question is what gap should they have for the 1100? Not sure if it makes a difference but mine is an '07. Is the gap from NGK already set and OK or not?

I'm seeing other guys mention gap should be about .032" so I guess I'll try that. I did see someone mention about needing to torqu these down or to tighten them down, loosen them and then retighten, can anyone further explain? I see the new plugs (haven't pulled the new ones yet) have a crush washer around them. My bike runs good and I was just hoping new plugs might give a little better spark; last thing I want to do is replace the plugs and screw up how she runs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts