Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an aftermarket airbox (Kuryakyn Hypercharger) which I want to get rid of. From all I've read I assumed that the carb must've been re-jetted when the airbox was installed by the PO. However it was recently mentioned to me that because I've still got the stock exhaust that perhaps the bike was not re-jetted. Maybe the airbox was only installed as a cosmetic thing, not for performance. I would really love to lose this thing, but I don't want to turn it into a massive endeavor.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
im not 100% on this,but ive heard that if you modify either the airbox or exhaust that the carbs would have to be rejetted..so with you have a hypercharger and the bike runs good its probably been rejetted..but again,in not 100%,its just something ive seen mentioned on here..do a search about this on this forum something will probably come up im sure theres been numerous discussions on here about this same topic..hopefully youll get the right answer. a guy i know has a hypercharger on his bike too and i think hes regrettin it as well,he got caught in a rain storm and it sucked all the rain into it,he couldnt get his bike started for a cpl days.,they may look good,provide a cpl more hps but for riding in rain they literally suck.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
In my opinion, if you got stock pipes that Hypercharger isn't doing anything; they do very little under the best circumstance.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
The only way to know for certain what jets are in your carb is to pull them out and read the number that is stamped on the jet. It's not very likely that someone would change jets just for an aftermarket air filter set up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Would you happen to have a pic of that aftermarket airbox? Or a link to it's manufacturer? What size/year is your bike? I have an 86 1100 and am looking for something aftermarket. Absolutely despise that stock thing. Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark,

Here is the website for the airbox I have.

Küryakyn

Once you're there, click the "preformance" tab to get to all their various airboxes.

Would you happen to have a pic of that aftermarket airbox? Or a link to it's manufacturer? What size/year is your bike? I have an 86 1100 and am looking for something aftermarket. Absolutely despise that stock thing. Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
What Bike??????????????????? HyperChargers are cosmetic on some Shadows.

Don't make assumption for jetting, open the carbs and look. While most riders NEVER bother to rejet, some like me will Change jetting as the FIRST mod on a bike. And then Rejet, along with future Perf Mods. Hondas are notorious for being detuned to meet EPA rules. Even changing out the needles can be a major improvement.
Got My Shadow 10 years ago have Jetted it about 15 times. Some mods I have had 4 sets of exhaust including stock, 2 mods to ignition, Headwork, Intake from stock to experimental HD Screaming Eagle carb set-up, to pods and back to stock. I always have run Uni Filters So only time the bike was Truly stock. Was on the way home after purchase.

·
Registered
387 Posts
93, how did that screaming eagle intake work for you???

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
93, how did that screaming eagle intake work for you???
It Sucked to ride. Worked great for drag racing though, WOT. Seems There was a reason Honda put 2 Carbs on the 1100. Besides the carb(s), we also tried one on each side, were right where my knees wanted to be. I also liked the cleaner Carbless look of the stock configuration. I also have this thing with having "Sleeper" vehicles. Friend of had a machine shop that made custom bike parts among other things. In fact after trying a few different carb set-ups between mine and his Saber. I went back to the stock airbox with a UNI and He went with a cone filter replacing the box.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Are your aluminum air fuel screw covers still installed? If they're still there, chances are pretty good you're running stock.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What Bike??????????????????? HyperChargers are cosmetic on some Shadows.

Don't make assumption for jetting, open the carbs and look. While most riders NEVER bother to rejet, some like me will Change jetting as the FIRST mod on a bike. And then Rejet, along with future Perf Mods. Hondas are notorious for being detuned to meet EPA rules. Even changing out the needles can be a major improvement.
Got My Shadow 10 years ago have Jetted it about 15 times. Some mods I have had 4 sets of exhaust including stock, 2 mods to ignition, Headwork, Intake from stock to experimental HD Screaming Eagle carb set-up, to pods and back to stock. I always have run Uni Filters So only time the bike was Truly stock. Was on the way home after purchase.
93gc40,

Great question!! I guess that might help. I've got a 2007 Shadow Spirit 750.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
To jet or not to jet, Is motor running lean? or rich? if yes, then you might need to rejet.
If the bike had a side pod intake when buils the Hypercharger is functional. The bike should have been jetted when the charger was installed. BUT some people cheap out and skip the jetting. It the bike came with a remote, under seat, airbox, the Charger is cosmetic. If it was jetted, whether or not YOU will need to rejet will depend on how it was rejetted, when or if you change the intake or exhaust. If you are going back to a stock setup and the bike was jetted for the HC, you might be OK. Cause the HC jetting is basically the same as you would use for rejetting and STOCK, unmodified bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry for the late response, thank you Bob_G for your response on the air boxes. Looks like those are simply external cosmetics for newer bikes. I'll have to come up with something between the stock carbs and an aftermarket air box (plumbing). Not a lot of room to work with in there but I do have a machine shop at my disposal :) Thanks again!

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.