Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Shadow 600. The front is a disk break and the rear is a drum break. I bought the shoes, how do I replace them? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
As Drail said, you really need a shop manual...

Do you really need to replace the rear brakes?
I don't know that I've ever heard anyone actually wear a set out,
especially on a 2000.
They pretty much last forever.

But, basically, you remove the real axle, wheel, brake lever (at the wheel), stopper arm, and chain.
Then, the brake panel will separate from the drum.
The shoes are held in by a plate and a couple of cotter pins (one on each shoe).
There are two springs that hold the shoes in... you'll have to remove those.
Once the springs are removed and the plate & cotter pins are out,
they just slide off the mounting pins.

They are a very simplistic and primitive brake system.
The lever simple turns at the bottom of the shoes.
As it turns, it has flats on it and they turn to the wide side
and expand the shoes.
The springs pull them back in when the cam rotates back to center.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am also surprised that your rear brakes need new shoes on a 2000 model. I have a 99 with 25,000 miles (put it on it by me) and I looked at the rear brake this past spring when I replaced the tires and they didn't show much wear at all. I thought they would be worn down pretty good. And I use both brakes all of the time. I do mostly canyon carving and that rear brake makes a nice anchor when I stuff it into a corner a "little too fast". I love "simplistic and primitive" stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well damn... It only has 8600 miles on it, but the braking is weak and the rear brake squeaks real badly, so I assumed it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You may just need to adjust the brake with the nut on the end of the rod that runs from the pedal to the brake. Mine seemed week then I adjusted it made a huge difference they still squeek though.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Squealing or squeaking is normally caused by dust in the brake drum. Usually just cleaning it out will stop the noise. Sometimes wash and wax products will get into the brake assy. and make them squeal. DO NOT blow it out with compressed air in your garage, that dust is very bad for your lungs. Either do it outside with a mask or flush them out with water and air dry thoroughly before reassembly. On days with high humidity they will sometimes squeal even if they're OK. If the shoes are glazed some fine sandpaper will clean it off. The rear brake may need adjusting at the actuating rod where it connects to the brake lever on the housing. Again, a manual will show you all of this stuff. It will show you how to do the adjustment and how to tell if you have enough pad or shoe material left. I think your brakes just need a good cleaning and adjustment. Take a good look at the pads on the front too. They do most of the braking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts