Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum... this is a great online community here.

I have an '07 Shadow Aero, and had a minor mishap a few months ago. I'm getting the gas tank and front fender repainted, and I can save myself a lot of money if I remove these pieces from the bike myself.

Can someone point me in the right direction to where I can find detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to do this properly? I tried searching the forums here, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

I appreciate any help you can give me in finding good 'how-to' guides.

Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a PDF of the manual somewhere that I can send you if you email me. I had to remove the tank on mine last summer and it was no fun witht he tank full. I thought I could drain the fuel out once I got the fuel line off but the tank wouldn't drain. I would recommend running it as empty as you can before you try to remove it.

To take the tank off remove the seat and you find 1 bolt at the rear of the tank that needs to be removed. Turn the fuel valve to the off position and remove the release the hose clamp. It's a little hard as the line is fuel line is buried in there and really short. Once you get the line off and the bolt out lift the rear of the tank and slide it forward an inch or so and then pull the tank towards the rear of the bike to remove it.

To remove the front fender you can do it one of 2 ways: the easy and dangerouse way or the right way. One way is to leave the wheel on and remove the 4 bolts that hold the fender to the underfender brace and then squeeze the fender and slide it out between the fork legs which will most likely result in some scratches and possibly cracks (like I did to mine). The right way, which you will most likely want to do if you a repainting, is to remove the axel using a 17mm allen wrench and drop the wheel and then remove the fender and the brace out through the bottom of the fork legs.

[/img]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for helping me.

cd_god, I hope no one got injured when that happened to your bike. My accident just resulted in a sore thigh for about a week.

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions, that's gonna be real handy for me. I'm a little hesitant though, about removing the front tire... it looks like I'll have to remove the front brake (I don't wanna mess up on that) to be able to drop the wheel clear of the fork. I'll decide if I'll tackle that part of it myself once I get a look at the manual.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to take you up on that offer for the PDF file of the manual. I'm sending you a PM with my email address.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I worked in a auto body dhop for 20 years.. Two month after i got my 06 Aero i wrecked it. Total cost of repair was 4500 $ ..Anyway hers a tip on the front fender removal and installation,,,Get some 2 inch 3m tape put a couple of peices of tape on the sides of the sides of the fender .. this will allow you to slide the fender thru the fork without scratching them.When i pulled mine i just dropped the bracket then slide the fender dowm to ward the tire. Then rotate the fender toward the bike. With the tape it will slide through the forks without scratching it.When reinstalling the fender...it would be a good idea to tape the intire fender with Painters tape.. Painters tape does not have a lot of glue on it but will allow you to replace the fender without scratching it, And the tape can be removed real easy after installation. If you have any questions you can e-mail me at [email protected]...I would be happy to help you all i can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts