Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of upgrading my 88 shadow 600 (when i get it back together) are the 750 shadows very powerful? i know, hard to answer, i just notice that with me and my wife (neither of us are very big) the 600 just always seams slow. especially when i ride with others.

adam

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The 750 is fast enough to get you into trouble. I don't ride 2 up so I don't know how they do with 2 people. I ride with some people on Goldwings, a Bolt and a BMW 1000. I'm fast enough to ride comfortably with them, but we're not crazy either.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
what model are we taking about? chain or shaft drive? my wife rides a 03 750 Ace, again solo, but has no problem going down the road, I rode it down interstate and wanted to see what she do going up fairly steep incline , and it hit 90 before I backed off the throttle, took a little longer to get there then my 1100 Sabre, now no one go telling the wife Im hot roding her ride

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Not really.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The 750 is fast enough to get you in trouble, IF YOU ARE TRYING (just like your 600).

There is very little difference between the VLX and the VT750, especially 2-up. Not enough to warrant the upgrade FWIW. In fact, I don't think the difference between the 600 & 1100 is worth the price. Once you get up to the 1300VTX, you're starting to talk about a difference.

Ride some and draw your own conclusions.

·
Super Moderator
6,530 Posts
thinking of upgrading my 88 shadow 600 (when i get it back together) are the 750 shadows very powerful? i know, hard to answer, i just notice that with me and my wife (neither of us are very big) the 600 just always seams slow. especially when i ride with others.

adam
I've got a '98 750ACE and although it's no rocket, it'll get you where you need to go with relative ease......

If you want to be able to easily change your final drive ratio, go with the chain driven 750's, not the shaft versions. It's real easy and inexpensive to swap the rear sprocket on the chain driven Shadow's.

I did a few basic modifications to mine like a smaller rear sprocket, aftermarket exhaust pipes, Dial-a-Jets and a Dyna 3000 ignition module and it's got enough power to ride me, my passenger and some luggage for weekend getaways. I would never ride it from Massachusetts to California, but a 500 to 600 mile day trip riding on the freeways with a passenger and some luggage is not a problem for the 750; in fact, if set up right, it's pretty comfortable. The 750ACE has a larger frame than the Spirit 750, so if you want to ride a passenger, I'd go with the ACE.

Notice I said I own a '98 750ACE. That's what, about 16 years old? I bought it new in 1998 and in those 16 years, I've never had any problems at all with it. They are very well built, high quality machines that will give you years and years of fun without many problems....

Phil

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Yes. Not crotch rocket fast, but for comparison i blew the doors off a newer Jeep Wrangler with relative ease the other night. I also have zero problems with 550ish in weight on the highway.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sorry Phil not trying to bust your balls but the ACE frame is no bigger or wider than the spirits granted it's got the big beach bars and the cow bell fork covers on the front that make it look as if it were wider but the biggest difference in the chassis is the foot placement..

·
Registered
565 Posts
VLX slow, I can keep up with everything but a cb1000 or a zx1100….
got my VLX up to 99, not as easy but I did it. 750 has more top end at 75 I can easily get to 95…haven't gone past that yet. Mind you my VLX was bored out and my 750 is still stock. I plan on doing stage 2 on it as the stage 3 w/ air filter makes it run HOT and really kills mileage its not worth it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wanted to answer your question, but everytime I wrote something I changed my mind.

I cannot compare it to the 600, but for me the 750 is not very fast and it peters out at 80ish mph.

So, with that, here are some ramblings I put together.

It can go faster than that, but not without thinking about it and planning ahead, lol.

Size wise, it isn't a very large bike either. with my wife an I it feels cramped.

Alone though, it feels just fine.

Most of my riding is urban with the occasional 200 mile trip. On the longer rides I wish for a larger bike with more power.

Really the best way to know is try to snag a ride on a 750, see how it feels to YOU.

Peace and happy riding.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'll add for 2 up go 1100, more room I suppose and more power. If most of your riding is solo the 750 is fine, or urban 2 up for weekend riding.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
It won't win any race against a VT700.

The VT1100 is quite fast and smooth for a cruiser.

John.

·
Super Moderator
6,530 Posts
Sorry Phil not trying to bust your balls but the ACE frame is no bigger or wider than the spirits granted it's got the big beach bars and the cow bell fork covers on the front that make it look as if it were wider but the biggest difference in the chassis is the foot placement..
You may be right in terms of actual frame size, but my point was that if you're riding a passenger; my opinion is this: the 750ACE is more comfortable than a Spirit 750.

I've sat on both and to me, the Spirit feels like a smaller motorcycle when I'm sitting on it.

The Spirit actually has a longer wheelbase than the ACE, but I think that's because the fork has more of a rake than the ACE and it moves the front wheel more forward by an inch or two.

Either way, they're both good machines.... and again (this is my opinion) If you're planning on riding a passenger and luggage, the ACE is a better choice.
Phil

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
VLX slow, I can keep up with everything but a cb1000 or a zx1100….
got my VLX up to 99, not as easy but I did it. 750 has more top end at 75 I can easily get to 95…haven't gone past that yet. Mind you my VLX was bored out and my 750 is still stock. I plan on doing stage 2 on it as the stage 3 w/ air filter makes it run HOT and really kills mileage its not worth it.
You where bored out and wouldn't break a bill... My sister of the ACE the more I hear about ur old bike the more I hope u found a new mechanic..

·
Registered
612 Posts
My 2004 Aero is no speed demon. Single carb. Shaft drive.
Its quick off the line and up through about 50 - 60 miles per hour.
But one day I twisted the throttle back and just held it there.
It climbed up to 93. That was all she had.
A little disappointed in that but not a deal breaker for me.
I usually don't run over 60 mph anyway.
I avoid the interstate most of the time too.

Its a great bike but if your looking for speed; look elsewhere.
This bike is all about STYLE. ;)

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
You want fast , inline 4 should do it. Shadow is a just a cruiser,but it's fast enough to get you in trouble .
I've got a Yamaha YZF-R1 Dynamite race tuned limited edition that has seen 185mph..I'm getting too old to ride it these days so I mostly ride cruisers..The UK has just bought out an addition to the speeding laws with a fine of £1000 if you get caught doing over 100mph..

John.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I love these types of questions. How fast is it? Fast enough for NORMAL street use. Need somthing for other then NORMAL street use, buy something else and ride it on the track, not on the street.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If you find a long enough downhill grade and put it in neutral it will go really, really fast ;-)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You may be right in terms of actual frame size, but my point was that if you're riding a passenger; my opinion is this: the 750ACE is more comfortable than a Spirit 750.

I've sat on both and to me, the Spirit feels like a smaller motorcycle when I'm sitting on it.

The Spirit actually has a longer wheelbase than the ACE, but I think that's because the fork has more of a rake than the ACE and it moves the front wheel more forward by an inch or two.

Either way, they're both good machines.... and again (this is my opinion) If you're planning on riding a passenger and luggage, the ACE is a better choice.
Phil
The ACE is a good 2 up bike for sure.. But ur thoughts of the differences between the ACE and spirit are just perception.. Same rake 34° wheel base is only about. .5 different and its due to the 19" wheel vs's the 17... Of course I'm only referring to the chain drive spirit.. In 06 they went to 21" front wheel... I think what makes the spirit feel long to you is the more forward and stretched out riding position with the narrowed look vs the ACE....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts