Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 honda shadow vt700, started riding it today, and its 97 plus degress out here in the dirty south!!! Where should my temp gauge be running? I did a short 30 mile trip and it got no hotter than 3/4 up the gauge. Also, the fan never can on! How can I check said fan to make sure it works? Its going to be over 100 tomorrow and I wanna ride her to work for the first time so my buddies can see her its about 30 miles each way. Should I or not?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
let her idle for a bit and it should heat up enough to make the fan kick on. 100 degrees isn't that big of a deal to the bike, so ride the heck out of it. It'll probably be able to handle more heat than you. Enjoy it man, good to hear you got another oldie up and running. Hope you enjoy putting many miles on it.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
As long as your moving above 30mph, the faa probably won't run. Exept at long stops. can't answer per the gauge. But is it's staying well below the RED, it good. If you want to test the fan. Unplug the wire going to the switch. And ground the wire to thr frame, fan should start. If you want to test the switch. get the bike warmed up and let it idle 10-15 minutes fan should start-up.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If all is working as it should... and it sounds like your is... your fan will normally only needs to come on when you are traveling at low speeds or stop and start traffic.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My fan only runs when stopped @ a Light in the 98 degree weather we are having here in Upstate SC.I have never had the idiot light come on either and I usally ride it Hard.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
my vlx doesn't seem to mind the temperatures here in Phoenix. Usually 108 or so for my ride home. The fan is used a lot , about any time I stop the fan will soon come on. I have started using synthetic oil more for peace of mind, never had an issure with dino oils.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
you'll be fine bud.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Don't worry about it! Your cooling fins work too, just like an air-cooled bike. The liquid cooling is jsut extra insurance.

Anything below the red zone is safe. Honda put that red line conservatively on the gauge, so even a bit into the red is safe. However, your fan should kick on just before the needle gets to the red. If it doesn't you have some trouble-shooting to do. I rode my bike for miles in stop-and-go traffic at 98 degrees just last week. The fan kicked on once. I have to say the bike fared better than I did!

--Justin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx for all you guys imput! The fan does work so all should be fine! I took her out for another short jog and she runs great! IM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!! To be a 25 year old bike it runs and rides very good and she sure does pull way harder than my uncles 07 Aero!!! Will post some better pics when i get her painted if my buddy can pry me off of it long enuff for him to do it!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts