Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just turned over 11,000 miles on my SS750. About a year ago, I installed a Cobra light bar. It has turn signals built into it so I had to tap into the turn signal wiring which is inside the headlight housing. I had no trouble doing that but MAN!! I had one hell of a time getting the headlight back in and everything back together. That was in a nice well lit garage with all my tools available. I'd hate to have to replace a headlight out on the road ... the hardest part was getting those little spacers back in ... the ones that the screws go through to hold the headlight housing together. Does anyone else think that the system to hold the headlight housing together is really dumb?

How long is it gonna be before my headlight burns out and I hafta go through this all over again? The bike is 1 1/2 years old with 11,000 miles.

... or is it really not hard to replace a headlight and I'm just mechanically challenged?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Before I got a modulator I would run with my high beam on in the daytime, and the high beam would burn out after about 12000 miles or so (about one year of riding) I never burned out the low beam 'cause I hardly ever used it. I'm hoping now with my modulator that the light lasts me at least two years (the way I figure it, now the high beam is on only half the time so it should last twice as long.)

-Scott

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
silvershadow55 said:
I'm hoping now with my modulator that the light lasts me at least two years (the way I figure it, now the high beam is on only half the time so it should last twice as long.)
Interesting ... I wonder if the frequent "on/off" of the high beam filament might cause some strain on the life of it? I honestly don't know. But it's an interesting thought. My guess is there's some "cost" to that -- your high beam filament might last longer, but not twice as long.

·
Registered
286 Posts
TucsonDon said:
silvershadow55 said:
I'm hoping now with my modulator that the light lasts me at least two years (the way I figure it, now the high beam is on only half the time so it should last twice as long.)
Interesting ... I wonder if the frequent "on/off" of the high beam filament might cause some strain on the life of it? I honestly don't know. But it's an interesting thought. My guess is there's some "cost" to that -- your high beam filament might last longer, but not twice as long.
You are probably correct... but since the filaments switch something like 240 times per minute (4x per second) I would guess that they have very little time to heat/cool, so the stresses are not as bad as they otherwise might be (if they heated and cooled completely). I'll let you know in about two years how it goes :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
silvershadow55 said:
TucsonDon said:
silvershadow55 said:
You are probably correct... but since the filaments switch something like 240 times per minute (4x per second) I would guess that they have very little time to heat/cool, so the stresses are not as bad as they otherwise might be (if they heated and cooled completely). I'll let you know in about two years how it goes :)
Maybe. But isn't the turning on of any electrical equipment the hardest on it? Lightbulbs, Computer processors, etc. I've always been led to believe that the processor's hottest point is when you turn it on. Likewise with a lightbulb, a continually on lightbulb lasts much longer than turning one on and off and on and off and on and etc...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Turning on and off a light will reduce it's life. A filiment expands when it gets hot and contracts as it cools off. Even if the controller is designed to drop the light to 25% and back to 100% (never turning the lamp totally off), it will still cause extra expansion and contraction that would not otherwise be present in a bulb that was on all the time.

Ever wonder why a standard 120V incandescent bulb usually chooses the time of turn on to flash and die?

I'm not by any means saying that the modulator is junk, because they seem to work well. But, they will decrease a bulbs life some. By how much? I can't tell you that.

Mark

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got 80,000 miles out of my stock bulbs and get about 8,000 out of the replacement bulbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.