Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added fuel stabilizer to the fuel, then topped of the tank, then rode about 10 miles (half highway/half streets). Hopefully the treated fuel made its way to the carb.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I couldn't tell you exactly how long a bowl of fuel will last, but I know it isn't more than a minute or so. If you rode ten miles I'd say for sure it's well mixed and throughout the system. At least you remember to add the stabilizer which is more than I can say for myself.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You'll be fine. The stabilizer mixes with the tank of fuel, so you only have to ride until the bowls & line have emptied.

How far can you ride with the petcock turned off? Not 10 miles, that's for sure...

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I added fuel stabilizer to the fuel, then topped of the tank, then rode about 10 miles (half highway/half streets). Hopefully the treated fuel made its way to the carb.
:). What day did you do this? I live about an hour north of you and I would not want to have been out on the bike since the Sunday before last. Currently it is 21*F with a 10mph wind. Wind chills tomorrow night are expected to be -30*F to -40*F in the area.

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Windchillfactor???

:). What day did you do this? I live about an hour north of you and I would not want to have been out on the bike since the Sunday before last. Currently it is 21*F with a 10mph wind. Wind chills tomorrow night are expected to be -30*F to -40*F in the area.
>>>>>>>>>>>>.
I wonder what the windchill is on me when I`m riding @ 65MPH, with a windchill of -40 ???
Just curious :D

When I flip to reserve on my bike and park it, I flip back to ON, so as to remind me to get fuel...
The Bike will run no more than 3 miles before the fuel empties from the bowls...
Try this ==>

While traveling down the road, reach down and flip to OFF...
You`ll see exactly how far it takes to reach the cylinders when you flip to ON...
It ain`t far while running 55 :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went out Sunday afternoon, it was 55 Degrees, I figured it'd be my last chance to get the stabilizer in and ride a bit for a while.

Where are you? We used to live in Fishkill.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
You're good. Since you added the stabilizer before fill-up it should have mixed with the gas. 10 miles is more than enough, in fact just right, to get that mixed fuel through the system and leave you with a full tank of gas to prevent moisture from accumulating inside it and rusting.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,211 Posts
Just as a hint for next year: when I add the stabilizer and ride home I turn OFF the fuel valve and when the engine starts to stall I know stabilizer has reached the carbs. Turn fuel valve back on and continue home. This also acts as my once a year practice with the fuel valve while riding.

G.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Just as a hint for next year: when I add the stabilizer and ride home I turn OFF the fuel valve and when the engine starts to stall I know stabilizer has reached the carbs. Turn fuel valve back on and continue home. This also acts as my once a year practice with the fuel valve while riding.

G.
That diesn't mean that the stabilized gas has reached the carbs. It just means they ran out of fuel.:roll:

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Yeah jp, but the treated fuel gets there when it starts back running :D

Winter storage? What a hassle;)

^^35 predicted for the high today, I`ll ride...
I gotta go see Chickenmans "new 01" Goldwing :D

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I never really worry about winter storage. My bike hibernates in an unheated garage and last winter I didn't even put any Startron in my gas because I was laid up with orthopedic surgeries from the end of Sept all the way until the end of April and my bike started in 5 seconds and that's with ethanol fuel. I never shut the petcock off and I never run the carbs out of fuel(just makes it harder to start).

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,211 Posts
That diesn't mean that the stabilized gas has reached the carbs. It just means they ran out of fuel.:roll:
Perhaps you missed the part where I stated to turn the fuel valve back on therefore the treated fuel has reached the carbs. But you don't winter prep so why comment?

G.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Curious???
How `bout the Fuel injection machines???
How does stabilizer affect these ???
Stabilizers are suppose to keep water/moisture from forming in the gas tank and gumming. I would think that would also be beneficial for FI bikes to keep the injectors clean and free to operate after a long term storage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.