Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(2nd post)

My recently bought 2008 Shadow has been in a repair shop for over 3 weeks, and the wait is killing me.

The mechanic and shop owner seem honest, but every time they turn a wrench they find something new and have to wait for parts. First it was a fork kit, next a water pump, now it's a radiator that's on backorder. It's a laundry list of little repairs -- the wait comes from ordering parts (and doing it one at a time as they find new stuff to fix).

What's the longest you've had your Shadow in the shop? Is a 3-4 week turnaround reasonable?

:shock:

·
Registered
725 Posts
You are going to wait longer in the spring and summer. Peak riding season is the worst time to take a bike to a repair shop.

If you don't want to wait take your bike in during the fall or winter.

They also have to order every part for your bike except fluids because they typically do not stock motorcycle parts at a motorcycle shop.

Try going to a Chevy or Ford dealer, they do not stock anything either.

The good ole days are long gone when dealers actually stocked parts for the vehicles they worked on or sold.

I would be careful they are not trying to nickel and dime you. Finding new problems to charge you for is a good way to pad the bill. The water pump and radiator go together, but they should be able to find most of the problems at one time and order the parts. You basically have 2 completely different issues and both should have been caught at the same time if they truly needed repair.

Was there a problem with the forks? Was the bike overheating? Were the forks or radiator leaking?

·
Registered
731 Posts
your bikes an 08 what did they say was wrong with the stuff they have fixed? how many miles are on it? sounds like a lot for a 7 year old bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. About 18,000 miles on the bike, which seems high to me but looked to be in great condition when I bought it. I really didn't expect this amount of repairs when I bought it, but the cost doesn't really bother me -- I got a good deal for the bike, and with the repairs it's cheaper than other options I was looking at.

As for the delays, it just seems like a very inefficient process. Basically they:
- Waited a week to look at the bike (OK, peak season, I get it)
- Another week waiting for a fork seal kit so they could do all the work at once
- Then they discovered oil in the coolant and missing coolant. Ordered a replacement water pump
- Then a few days later when they were finally filling up coolant, found a big leak in the radiator. Currently waiting on the radiator which is on back order.

Mostly, I just need to vent. I want to ride! Keeping my fingers crossed that the final part will come soon.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You didn't mention why you originally took the bike in. Was it a general inspection or to fix the forks? If it was a general inspection they should have been able to catch all these problems and any other major problems at that time. If it was just for the forks it is less likely they would do any other inspections. I would ask the shop to do a once over if they have not done so and get a list of any needed maintenance and ask about any recommended maintenance that should be done at this time. That way you can decide what to repair, if you want the shop to do it or yourself, and take care of all problems at one time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I brought the bike in was it wasn't starting (would turn over, but not catch). Embarrassingly, they diagnosed it as just being low on gas and I should have turned to reserve. Sounds odd to me as the bike was running fine before with no indication it was low, but hey, I'm no mechanic.

I did ask them to do a overall diagnostic and recommend any other repairs. That's when the said the forks were leaking a bit, recommended some other stuff, and started on this never-ending cycle of order parts, turn the wrench, then order more parts.

Anyhow, I sympathize that some problems only come up once you take the bike apart. But still, 3 cycles of ordering parts seems extreme to me. I've just got to reset my expectations -- this sure isn't like dropping off my car at the shop.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,641 Posts
Unfortunately that duration is average given the issues: Yes in the spring you may need to wait a week based on backlog. Yes they may have to wait a week for fork seals. So that's 2 weeks. If the water pump was shot it would be difficult to diagnose the radiator leak so up to a week to order and replace water pump then discover radiator leak.

The water pump and rad leak should have caused a warning TEMP light so was there no warning? I guess it would be too much to expect the previous owner to mention cooling/overheating problem.

G.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah no TEMP light, and I had taken it for a few rides in 70 deg weather. Should I ask them to check the light or sensor too?

Good to know that this wait isn't unheard of. And yeah, the previous owner was a rental shop that had the bike garaged and idled for a year. I don't even know if they were aware of the problem -- sure didn't mention it, but they hadn't rented the bike in over a year.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Oil in the coolant suggests head gasket, not oil leak. But 18k on a 7 year old bike isnt much.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,641 Posts
... Should I ask them to check the light or sensor too?...
No I would let them complete the work. If competent they will check out the entire cooling system. You are going to have a fairly large bill. I would ask to see the old parts: waterpump and rad and seals. Ask why so much wear on only 18,000 miles but I think the answer is it was a rental. Rental bikes are pretty badly abused and need major overhaul way before owned bikes. Do you think it spent its 18,000 miles as a rental?

Since its in there and you have the money you may get them to check brakes and change brake fluid since I will bet the brake fluid has not been changed. I would do this after they have addressed engine cooling issues.

G.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.