Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are mainly highway riding, how many miles do you go before having to use the reserve? I have a '96 VT1100, and it has been varying quite a bit, and I was wondering what the Norm is. Thanks-

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've been rejetting and tinkering around alot lately...and been hammering it pretty good to see how it responds... but, I went from about 130ish miles/tank to 120/tank after rejetting. I usually average about 60 mph on county highway roads.

93 vt1100

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Anywhere from 130-150 before hitting reserve depending on riding conditions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone noticed if you get less milage while using a windscreen? I'm thinking I'm getting less milage after installing my Switchblade 2-up windshield.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have always had a windshield on my VT1100 and the tank hits reserve usually between 120-130 miles.

On our latest tour, riding two-up with full saddlebags, loaded touring bag and highway speed average of 80 mph, the regular tank emptied out at 117 miles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just filled up my Phantom at 140 reserve light just came on one minute prior or getting to the station.

·
Registered
256 Posts
130-140 miles before I need to hit reserve. I don't get different mileage with or without the windshield. Or at least not that I have noticed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
On my 99 spirit 1100 I usually hit reserve around 135-140 have had to hit it as soon as 112 if I'm doing all hard highway riding.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I haven't gotten around to running my tank on my VLX down to the reserve just to see how far I can go. I'm guessing 120 miles based on what I've heard.

I'm still cautious on long trips. I start looking for gas at 80 miles so I'll have buffer if I hit a "dry" stretch of roads. Over the years, the biggest cause of stress while traveling was knowing I would run out of gas if I didn't find a place to top off, soon! I'd just rather tank up more often.

The second closest I came was on the Blue Ridge Parkway. No stations, and no signs showing where they are, either. I stopped and asked another rider where the nearest gas station was. He desperately said "I was hoping I could ask you."

Luckily, I came across a ranger at a campground who knew...and more luckily, I had enough gas to get there.

The closest I came, later the same trip: The engine died just as I pulled up to the pump. :-D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My 1994 VT1100C, in all highway riding at about 65-70mph, would get about 50-52mpg or around 150 miles before hitting reserve. In all city traffic, lots of stop and go, lots of starting and warming up, I got 128 miles before hitting reserve (around 42mpg).

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If I ride between 70-80, I can get 150 miles before I start feeling nervous. No "reserve," just a fuel light that doesn't work. If I ride between 50-60, I can get about 200 miles before empty but I still stop and fill up at about 125, just 'cuz I usually need the potty stop by then.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm getting somewhere between 280-300Km (174-186miles) which equates to ~66-68mpg, before I have to get off and start pushing it to the next gas station...
The low fuel warning light comes on at about 240km (~150miles)...
I'm sure the fuel injection on these late model Shadows helps them get good fuel economy...

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,031 Posts
I have always had a windshield on my VT1100 and the tank hits reserve usually between 120-130 miles.

On our latest tour, riding two-up with full saddlebags, loaded touring bag and highway speed average of 80 mph, the regular tank emptied out at 117 miles.
Pretty much the same for me including the 80 mph runs @ 114 mi. reserve switch which came out to 38 mpg. 42 mpg. is the norm for me. Went 160 mi. on a tank ONCE. Took 4 gal. to fill again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
07 aero 750 - I get about 50-55 ridding the piss out out of suburban stop and go. Usually about 150 before I hit reserve.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts