Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many mile do you ride on a set of tires? i've been told to change the tires every other season, what do you think?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
first of all.. what kinda bike ya got? what kinda tires? do ya check your air pressure often?

your question is too vague.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
There's two things to consider. The actual wear and the age of the tires. Rubber grows old and hardens with time, so although the might seem all right, tires that are, say 5-8 years old, should probably be replaced, no matter what they look like and how many miles you've put on them.

In a climate like ours, in Sweden, most people don't ride at all during the winter months, so our bikes have relatively few miles on them for their age, hence the tires are old but seemingly all right.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,270 Posts
On my OEM tires (Dunlop K177 & K555) I got 12k miles.

On my next 2 sets of replacements (Dunlop D404s) I averaged about 8.5k each set.
- It will take a dire situation for me to ever put crappy D404s on a bike again.

On my current set (Metzeler ME880 Marathon), well, I'll have to let you know. I'm at 12k and still have LOTS of tread left. I'm guessing that I'll get to 19k (or better) on the rear and 22k (or better) on the front. These are truly GREAT tires, too.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
No one that knows anything about tires is going to suggest that you change them every two years just because.
How tires are used/stored and how many miles are on them have more to do with replacement than does time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
first of all.. what kinda bike ya got? what kinda tires? do ya check your air pressure often?

your question is too vague.
I ride a 1996 Shadow Vt1100c2. I do check my tire pressure, prob once a month. The tires im running now are Metzeler Marathons. They were on the bike when i bought it two years ago. I've personally put 10,000 on them. Am i pushing the envelope on these tires?
p.s. they had about 5,000 on them when i purchased the bike, according to the sales man.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is this "season" you speak of. I ride 12 out of 12 months here. I change out my tires when the threads start fraying. :shock: :shock:
:-Dcall me a puss if ya want, but when the snow starts flying here i stop riding! Two wheels and snow and ice = crash:(

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,270 Posts
What is this "season" you speak of. I ride 12 out of 12 months here. I change out my tires when the threads start fraying. :shock: :shock:
Hey, the concept of "riding season" is lost on me, too. I've ridden every month of the year here in Michigan -- although I don't do that every year. (Ice and snow keep my bike off the roads. So do temperatures between 25 and 35.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.