Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i would like to say i am new to this site and it's a great one!!. I have posted a few things and got immediate responses to critical info. I have been riding along time and lay down several miles a year. Our summers are short here in central New York, and have to ride as much as possible in the summer. I ride at least six days a week here(need one to rest!!!)..My average weekly ride is 75 to 100 miles. On the weekends i put down 150 to 400 a day. I run into a lot of people that ride and they look at me like i am nuts!!...when i tell them how many miles i do a day. The majority of the people around here just ride between 1000 and 3000 miles a year...I ask them why they have a bike!!...Most of these guys own Harleys!!!..I work full time, own a home(lots of work)..Last rainy summer i put down 9000 miles..Does anyone think thats a lot of miles for a biker?..or should it be more?..remind you our riding season here is very short!!!.....One more thing....why do these people call themselves bikers, when they just OWN a bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
not to be rude, but, who cares! ride your own ride. Ride the amount of miles that works for you and who cares what or how many miles Joe Blow puts on his ride.

Welcome to the forum :D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the "average" motorcyclist rides
about 4-5000 miles each year.
Obviously for that to be the average, there are that ride more and more
that ride less.

I'd say that with 9000 a year, you are putting on a good bit more than average, but again, I have also known a couple of people who put
on 20-22000 miles per year.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
litnin said:
I'd say that with 9000 a year, you are putting on a good bit more than average, but again, I have also known a couple of people who put
on 20-22000 miles per year.
Guilty as charged. I'm hovering right about 20k for '06, across the bikes. My daughter has racked up about 4k of those with me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
miles

I'm jealous!!.......must be nice to live in the south!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ride year around, to and from work 45 miles each way. Last year I rode over 22,000 miles. Wish I could ride more but sometimes I can't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would be nice, but we have a thing called WINTER!!....which is finally coming tonight. calling for almost 2 feet by tomorrow night.....so i guess i have to wait till march now!!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Lisa said:
not to be rude, but, who cares! ride your own ride. Ride the amount of miles that works for you and who cares what or how many miles Joe Blow puts on his ride.

Welcome to the forum :D
A BIG DITTO LISA! A PLUS 1 HERE

·
Registered
943 Posts
I gotta go with the others, its not the miles, its the love for riding and the attitude of enjoying it that makes a biker.

some of the old harley guys wouldn't consider us bikers because we ride metrics.

Personally, I love riding by a car, seeing the people in their who only wish they were on a bike

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hey Blacksheep,
Just curious, how many miles do you think a person needs to ride to call themselves a biker? Also what is your definition of a biker? Due to other responsibilities and interests, including a non-riding wife that I will never let take a back seat to a motorcycle, I average a couple of thousand miles a year. I really enjoy those two thousand miles, just like I enjoy the other hobbies and interests in my life. I know a guy that has a big Harley tattoo on his arm, a Softtail with a custom paint job, and a custom chopper that he built himself, and he rides about 200 miles a year. Is he a biker? Does it matter?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I ride as far as it takes to get there. Of course, sometimes there is no 'there' and I just ride. Averaged about 1k per month this year.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Big miles per day mean little to me.
It's not much fun to get on the E-way and click off mile after mile just for the sake of the miles.
Some times I'll ride all weekend, exploring this road and riding that road that I've never been on before, and may only show 150 or 200 miles for 2 days of riding.
It's about where I've been and what I've seen from atop my bike, and not about posting a high number in an effort to impress someone.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I rode solo 274 miles round trip to the destination harley store in Daytona today. I had a cup of coffee, which I had to buy, and looked at a lot of espensive MC that I have no intention of ever owning but it was a place to go and I had nothing else to do. I ride as much as i want and change the oil when it is due but other than that the numbers don't mean a whole lot.
Jeff
PS the reason for the exact accounting of mileage is my new garmin GPS which is the best electronic toy I have ever found. It even beats out the x box.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm on the road during the Summer 4 sometimes 5 days a week,i only got to put on about 4000 miles this year.But next year I'm hoping for a few more days to ride. Everyone else ride whatever you want,or are able to.
Just enjoy them all And meet lots of new friends.

BlackSheep, welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Wow, what is a biker? Well, if some one builds a chopper and has a HD, then he is a biker in my books. From June 22nd 06 to December 22nd 06, I did 12895 on my shadow, from the beginning of May 06 six to June 22nd, I put on 4k.

I agree that riding the e-way just to rack up miles has only two purposes: one is probably a commute the other is to build saddle time for the sake of experience.
My commute is 62 miles each way and mostly on the Highway, so every eve I put an additional 30-40 miles off in the back roads and along the coast just for pure pleasure. EVERY weekend, I devote two hours to exploring a new road (don’t know the miles, could be 20 or 50, depending on road) 8)

So, +1 for ride your own ride, it make no difference how much you log in a given period of time. As private pilot, my logged hours did a lot for my insurance and my classification so I was concerned with the hours I flew, but that does not apply here.

Just enjoy AND BE SAFE please. :wink:

Cheers

·
Registered
335 Posts
Let's see.. I have a new house, 2 children that are under 5 years old, and nobody to babysit, so I always have to ride alone. (Dang I wish my wife could ride along!) I work second shift, so weekends are really the only time I see my kids for more than a half hour at a time... still, I ride to work most days, a 16 mile round trip, and try to get a pleasure ride in on the weekends... usually only ends up being 40 to 50 miles but it's the balance I have found that lets me see my kids and wife. I have had my bike for a year and a half and only have 6k on it, and most of that from commuting, but every mile is precious, I bet I have gotten as much enjoyment out of those 6000 miles as some get out of 20,000!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Last Jan. 1st, for the first time, I wrote down the mileage of all four vehicles as a comparison, also since my 17 yr.old is driving to school now. I ride to work (50 mi. round trip) whenever the weather permits,( 8-9 mo.? I'm gonna mark the first day this spring I start riding to work.), and my Toyota the rest of the year. Toyota- 9,639 mi. Shadow-8,721 mi. That includes to-and-from work, sometimes the long way home, and occasional days crusing around the Sierra Nevada Mts. behind us. Any excuse to ride...

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I ride everyday-- 50 miles round trip-- I do not really consider myself a "biker". I'm a newbie and gaining experience every day. I still have lots of things to learn and that's the main reason I'm logging so many miles this winter. I want to be better on my bike.

My husband has been riding since summer-- he does not ride if the temp is below 50 which means he doesn't ride a lot in the winter. However, when he rides, it's a sight to behold. He looks like he was born in the saddle-- hardly ever makes a mistake and drives that 1100 V-STar like it was a toy bike-- very smooth even in tight places.

I consider him a "Biker"--- I hope to ride half as good as him someday. So, maybe it's not so much how much you ride, but how well you ride.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I ride 80mi. a week to work and back plus weekends and rides with the American Legion Riders and PGR. I enjoy every mile too, the more the better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts