Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 83 shadow 700 i have 48xxx miles on it....i know it can vary from bike to bike but is it worth it to fix this baby up or is it already on its last leg engine and trans wise? it seems to run ok when its running

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
48k ain't much if it has been taken care of. my 06 vtx has a little over 31k.

·
Registered
586 Posts
my 500 is in the 40,000 range. it is worth fixing the normal problems. if the trans is working ok and the engine is tight it is totally worth fixing up.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
My 1985 VT1100 has over 55,000 miles and I feel comfortable riding it anywhere anytime. I would start to look at some major maintenance of the innards of the engine/transmission around 100,000 or beyond. I still marvel that I ride a 26 year old bike that has so few miles on it and is so danmed dependable.

My take, fix it up and enjoy the heck outta it. It certainly should have plenty of miles left if it has been taken care of.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
on my 83 shadow 700 i have 48xxx miles on it....i know it can vary from bike to bike but is it worth it to fix this baby up or is it already on its last leg engine and trans wise? it seems to run ok when its running
You're barely halfways through it's life if you've been taking care of it. Regular oil/filter changes. Maybe change out your final drive every couple of years and that bike should just keep on plugging along. It get's a little harder each year to find some of the replacement parts, hoses, etc, but I wouldn't worry too much about the bike letting you down anytime soon. It's always a gamble, but with that bike, it's a pretty good bet.....

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
29K on my 01 and runs smooth without so much as the dreaded valve tic shadows are supposed to be known for.

Dauntae

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always been told by my dad and every other wise biker. Bike's will last just like cars will as long as you take care of them. Never think of them as less because they are smaller. If that baby is taken care of it'l last 100+ grand.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It's not at all on it's last legs however at just under 30 years old are all the parts you want readily available?
If it runs and your happy with it keep on riding, however if it becomes a garage queen with repairs you may want to move on.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
13,500-ish. Not broke in yet. Remember it is a HONDA you have a ways to go!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well that sure does answer my question! thanks for all the replies. i guess ill dig into it a bit and get all the little kinks worked out then start on the causmetic issues.....btw anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on re covering my seat? i was told its easy to re do but i have never done it

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
54,000 on my 95.

34,000 on my 83.

Both will still be running at 100K with my maintenance schedule:wink::mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
well that sure does answer my question! thanks for all the replies. i guess ill dig into it a bit and get all the little kinks worked out then start on the causmetic issues.....btw anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on re covering my seat? i was told its easy to re do but i have never done it
A guy I know who does upholstery work told me MC seats are pretty easy to re-upholster. While you are at it, have the pinion seat modified to make it a bit more comfortable for your passenger. There are a couple of slip covers on the market and they look pretty good also. Nice thing about having an upholsterer do the job is you can have a gel pad and/or memory foam used which really makes for a nice ride and is generally less expensive than going out and buying an aftermarket seat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The odometer on my 85 BMW K100 quit working at 83,500 and that was even before I bought it and started riding it. It still runs like a champ and I know that I put on at least another 3K before I got my Shadow.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
120 000 kms on my 2001 Sabre. Still has the original clutch, the only non routine maint. thing I ever replaced was the stator and RR last winter. Runs like a champ, should be good for at least 200 000 kms :-D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts