Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. I seem to hit reserve at 108 miles. I believe the tank is 3.8 gallons. I'm getting right at 40 miles per gallon. I would think that the reserve would kick in at about 3 gallons of usage which would be around 120 miles leaving a .8 gallons left on the reserve. I'm wondering if the petcock has been changed and it is sitting a little higher than it should. Today I had 116 miles and filled up with 2.86 gallons. I have been running on reserve past the108 mile mark.

How many miles on your 1100 until you switch to reserve?

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,845 Posts
My mileage is all over the map due to: passenger/solo, headwind/windshield, mountains or flat but worst mileage of all is my need for speed on any particular Sunday. Using the odometer i am surprised by the variation so I use worst case mileage and fill at about 170 km (105 miles)

· Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have a 04 spirit 1100. With a windshield. Took a trip last September. Filled up in pigion forge tn. Rode across the foothills parkway to the dragon. Rode it down and back Then back thru Knoxville tn up to tazwell tn ran at 154 miles and had to go to reserve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
98 VT1100 Spirit
6 Posts
98 VT1100C, larger main and idle jets, drag pipes, windshield and lowers. Depending on how cold it is, usually get around 110 to 120miles before needing to switch to reserve. Though I should say the bike probably needs a prof tune to optimize for mileage. I get between 31mpg to 37mpg depending on the temp and my driving style.

· Registered
923 Posts
How many miles on your 1100 until you switch to reserve?
Hey KE,

I do not have a 1100 Spirit I have a 1100 Ace Tourer with a 4.2 gallon tank ( I may be wrong but I think your Spirit has the same capacity fuel tank). The Sabre 1100 that I sold this summer always gave me 52+ on the mpg.

I switch to reserve at 165 miles most of the time. I do get 50+ mpg most of the time on the Ace T. I am already looking for a gas station prior to that though because I am old and have to pee. I drink a lot of coffee.

· Registered
112 Posts
I have only had to switch to reserve once and that was with, I think, it was 158 miles. I usually stop for fuel around 130-140 miles. When we took a long trip this summer I carried an extra 100oz of fuel just in case, I'm not hard on the throttle I'm on a cruiser not a sport bike, I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere

· Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
229 Posts
My Carburetor recently got re-jetted, but while I have the bike apart I decided to deal with some other issues and I've only started riding it again. I'm still figuratively putting out little fires here and there, and only taking it for short trips to test a few things. When it is running reliably, hopefully within a few days, I am going to fill the tank up and intentionally take it for a ride around my town until I get to the point where it sputters and I need to switch to "reserve."

I'll try to do most of my riding on a US Highway in a rural area with few red lights, where the speed limit is 55 miles an hour. I will try to do most of my riding in fifth gear at 55, and see what kind of mileage I get. Although there are some hills in the area where I live and when I encounter such a hill I may either have to bump the speed up to 60 to climb it through acceleration or I may have to drop down into fourth gear. I've never actually measured my bikes MPG or range, but after the re-jetting and other work it may be different these days.

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Carburetor recently got re-jetted, but while I have the bike apart I decided to deal with some other issues and I've only started riding it again. I'm still figuratively putting out little fires here and there, and only taking it for short trips to test a few things. When it is running reliably, hopefully within a few days, I am going to fill the tank up and intentionally take it for a ride around my town until I get to the point where it sputters and I need to switch to "reserve."

I'll try to do most of my riding on a US Highway in a rural area with few red lights, where the speed limit is 55 miles an hour. I will try to do most of my riding in fifth gear at 55, and see what kind of mileage I get. Although there are some hills in the area where I live and when I encounter such a hill I may either have to bump the speed up to 60 to climb it through acceleration or I may have to drop down into fourth gear. I've never actually measured my bikes MPG or range, but after the re-jetting and other work it may be different these days.
I have a Spirit 1100. The best mpg I had putting along was about 45mpg. The Spirit seems so high geared I don't like running it in 5th at 55 mph. I average around 40 mpg most of the time. The lowest mpg has been about 35. I hope this might help you what to expect with your mileage. Please, let us know.

· Registered
29 Posts
2007 Shadow Spirit 1100. With normal driving, I get a real consistent 50mpg and usually fill up around 120ish before I hit reserve. i have only gone on reserve a couple times and have gone as high as 145. When riding with my son on his sport bike, my mileage is lower just trying to keep up!

· Registered
61 Posts
My 02 Sabre 1100 gets about 40 mpg also. I'm just getting used to not running out of gas, it's happened twice, so now I make sure fill up often. On my old 88 Shadow, it had this very cool low fuel light that I got very used to, and never ran out of gas. So newer is not better. And I sure liked the 55 mpg with 88.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts