Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sports video camera I had mounted on my time trial bike. I used it a bunch during training and a few times in races. I'm thinking about mounting it on the handlebars of my Shadow. It's extremely small, makes a GoPro look huge. How many of us use a video camera when they ride?

Here's a few examples of the video. It does a great job. Even adjusts automatically for changing lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Er5hSR6NU During a race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ivn7AVRzQ During a training ride

· Registered
3,130 Posts

· Registered
9,268 Posts
I cant believe that Go Pro hasn't shrunk down there camera size much yet. If you have ever had a cell phone apart and seen how small the entire camera system is on them, Go Pro could do a lot better. Video quality is getting pretty good on them now though compared to how they were a few years ago.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
I just got a Go-Pro for an X-Mas present from my son and daughter, so I'll be shooting footage of some rides in the Spring. Helmet clips already installed. LOL

I am a little anti helmet mount.... especially on top as in the event of a direct hit on the camera it may be pushed through.... It has happened with Ski helmets .... not super likely but just food for thought (less vibrations than bike mounted though)

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard a few times that helmet mount is not the safest way to go. If the camera takes a direct hit, that's a large amount of pressure on one small area and could push through and do damage. We were also advised against it when riding with a bicycle helmet as any direct hit to the camera can cause a twisting as such and the bicycle helmet can twist off or at such an angle as to limit its effectiveness.

I always mounted the camera on the bicycle handlebars. I'll do the same thing with the motorcycle. I can also turn it on and off easier that way.

· Registered
233 Posts
I have a GoPro and have used it on my helmet and my chest mount. I've heard chest mount is the best to avoid vibrations. Not worried about the helmet mount because if you direct hit something fast enough for the mount/camera to punch through a DOT approved helmet, I doubt you're making it. Have a handlebar mount but have yet to use it.

Chest mount video looks pretty sweet cause it captures the bars.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Get creative. I have a helmet mount (a) and chest mount (b), but have also used a suction cup to stick the camera to my saddlebags (c), put a semi-permanent mount low on the bike (d), or stick it to another bike with the suction cup and point it at me (e).

a:

b:

c:

d:

e:

Still shots are great from all of those. Videos seem to work great on everything but (c) and (e), at least the ones I've done.

· Registered
7,916 Posts
I plan on getting a GoPro sometime before we go to Sturgis this summer, so I look forward to playing with different mounting locations and stuff.

· Registered
376 Posts
I use a GoPro either mounted on my helmet, chest or bars when dirt biking but I always found the videos pretty boring to watch after doing the ride itself. I quit mounting it to my bars or chest after a couple of rides as the view never changed. The helmet is better, but still, after riding hard for a couple of hours in the dirt who wants to sit and watch it again on a computer? I guess compiling all the stills into some kind of collage would be doable, but I just can't figure why I would want to. My computer at home hasn't even been turned on in over 6 months, not even sure if it works anymore or not and the last thing I would want to do is sit in front of it to watch a video of what I just did.

· Registered
376 Posts
CrazyDave, I tried doing that a couple of times during toy runs or organized runs but I was always afraid of dropping my camera and the pictures seldom turned out very well. Nice thing with my GoPro is that you can set it to take a still picture every couple of seconds or so while videoing. Thing with my GoPro is I wanted one for so long, finally bought one, used it 9 or 10 times and now I don't really have much use for it. I always found looking at the videos a day or two later kind of boring as compared to seeing them live while riding.

· Registered
23,171 Posts
CrazyDave, I tried doing that a couple of times during toy runs or organized runs but I was always afraid of dropping my camera and the pictures seldom turned out very well. Nice thing with my GoPro is that you can set it to take a still picture every couple of seconds or so while videoing. Thing with my GoPro is I wanted one for so long, finally bought one, used it 9 or 10 times and now I don't really have much use for it. I always found looking at the videos a day or two later kind of boring as compared to seeing them live while riding.

I think mounting one is a great idea and am working on a system now that I see a camera worthy of it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.