Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out on the bike tonight with friends, had to hit the reserve, I was pretty sure I would make it back to our home town. Cause I've been getting 47mpg and only had 30 or so miles to go, Then halfway I realized I've been riding 2up all day and only get 38 mpg so I was worried cause their was no gas stations. The below is the pic at the pump, if I tried I might have been able to get it till 4, I didn't realize how close i was till I hung up the pump.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I too am curious if anyone has got more than your 3.9 in thier tank.
Last month while heading from Wells, Nevada to Ely, Nevada, I was able to get 3.8 gallons in at McGill. And I thought I was on fumes! - I probably could have made it all the way to ELY!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've ran 148 miles on my Spirit 750 and have never put over 2.7 gallons of gas in it. I'm slowly pushing more and more, but I don't really want to run out gas. I have to flip to reserve at about 123 miles.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My 07 Shadow 750C2 has a windshield and carries a 250 pound fat man, and I regularly get over 145 miles before I hit the reserve switch. I do a lot of city driving too, which I believe should make it less efficient. I have thankfully never run out of gas so I do not know how far that reserve fuel would take me. I guess I should calculate it out so I won't be surprised some day.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i got to 150 and still hadn't hit reserve on my aero once. i was wantin' to keep on goin' but everyone stopped for gas and i thought i had better get some too. keep in mind... i didn't carry any luggage(dad has a 2005 yamaha venture that i put all my stuff in :p), no windshield, and i only weigh 180lbs.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I don't even like to run low enough to hit the reserve tank. You never know when an unconscious driver is behind you when your bike starts to sputter out!
I want my bike running as expected, 100 percent of the time.
Dan

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
i got to 150 and still hadn't hit reserve on my aero once.

I hit reserve on the Aero at 156 twice, and I am a bigger boy than Adam, with windsheild. Have not hit it on the VTX yet.
Coop

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It all depends on how you ride. 90% of my riding right now is the 2 miles to work, so I spend a lot of time warming up and sitting at the 4 lights between my house and work. I usually hit reserve about 120 miles, which is giving me about 45mpg. I figure that is pretty good with warming up 3 times a day, and riding it HARD for the 2 miles back home. If I ride like a grandpa it will take me 20 minutes because I will hit every light. If I take off hard from the light at work, I can make every light green and be home in 5!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Because I have an auxiliary tank, I often run the main tank dry. When I fill it up, it takes 4.1 gal. You were getting pretty close to empty.

sanoke

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
On the old VLX, I ran it to 150 miles before stopping for gas and had to put in 2.5 gallons. The tank only held 2.8 gallons total. I think that's the most I've ever pushed any of my bikes (as far as emptying the fuel tank). Normally once I switch to reserve, I go fuel up ASAP. This is when I'm commuting to work or running errands in town. If I'm ever on a recreational ride, I/we usually fill up about every 100 miles, sometimes more or less, depending on where we are going.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i got to 150 and still hadn't hit reserve on my aero once.

I hit reserve on the Aero at 156 twice, and I am a bigger boy than Adam, with windsheild. Have not hit it on the VTX yet.
Coop
i usually hit my reserve on my vtx around 140-150.

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
30 miles is ALL I can get outta Reserve!!!
I run out as I was approaching the gas station once, I KNOW My BIKE!!!
I also KNOW about running outta gas too, I done that!!!
I had fergot I was on reserve, and I chose the LONG way to work one morning...
YUP, it sat alongside the road until I got off work...

Meet me in Sturgis? 8-13
Dennis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts